main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Battle of Hoth: The unsung casualty of war

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Hudnall, May 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    "Prepare to target the shield generator. Maximum Firepower!"

General Veers, lined up to take the shot, that will will destroy the Rebel's shield generator and lead to an all-out assault by the Empire...

The camera pans back to see the behemoth AT-AT ... and

blast, some poor guy running gets zapped in a micron before the AT-AT fires another stronger blast which blows the generators up.

------------------

You know, I've viewed this movie at least a 100 times +. And every time, I've taken notice of this shot for some reason.

Just like all the SW scenes, I've experience a wide range of feelings about each one. In this case, I've both loved it and hated it. Questioned it and wondered about the poor guy's family. The entire spectrum, a 100 times+ and you look for new reasons.

Last night, I had a new question.

"WHY BOTHER?"

Why stop targeting the whole focus of the assault, the generators, to shoot this one guy running across the snow?

Discuss.

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I think the Imp gunner just decided to waste the lone man as he was running for cover. But does seem funny when the Imp blasts the one man for no reason.

I think the main one is the Imp just blasted him to blast him. He probably joined the military to blow stuff up, and dag-numbit I bet he just wanted to blow stuff up.

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Why not? Every Rebel you kill is one less Rebel that can kill YOU!

There are also 2 sets of blasters on the head of an AT-AT. Considering there is also a "gunner" in addition to the commander, he probably operated the lighter blasters while General Veers took the shot on the shield generator personally.

Not to mention the fact that if YOU were riding with the General of Vader's own personal army, YOU would try to be as effecient as possible.

You gotta admire the guy; instead of sitting slack jawed waiting for his commander to make the Big Shot, he uses his training to stay focused on the job at hand, and continues his duty.

4. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    Thanks for the replies

Well, I hope people don't think I'm bashing. I just think the shot stands out. I actually like it, as I actually remember it from my first viewing ever back in 80.

5. MagicSpork

MagicSpork Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2004
    Speaking of the Hoth battle, something has always bugged me.

Veers explains to Vader that there is a shield around the base, and Vader said Ozzel came out of light speed too close to the system as the reason the rebels knew the Imperials were coming, and that he was "as clumsy as he is stupid"

I was wondering what tactical advantage coming out of light speed further away from Hoth would have provided? I'm thinking that a slower moving ship would be a lot easier to detect than one moving at light speed, so staying at light speed for as long as possible would provide the best tactical advantage...of course, I've never invaded any planets, so take my opinion for what it's worth. :)

6. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    The Empire is all powerful and no target, regardless of size or importance, is safe. Scenes like this show the reality of battle and the consequence for standing up to the Empire. It's incorrect to say "unsung casualty of war" when Lucas is showing the brutal reality of it.

7. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    Gee, thanks for painting the various obvious message that I've already lived the first 3 dozen viewings...

and taking the fun and lightheartedness out of my more recent interpretation.

Spork not invaded any planets recently, eh? On the galactic invasion wagon? :)

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    If the fleet had come out of hyperspace farther away from Hoth, outside the Rebels' sensor range, then they could have snuck some TIE Bombers down to the planet before the shield could come up.

9. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Heh, me and my friends always crack up when we see that soldier get shot. The blast comes near his legs, he stumbles a bit, and finally goes down. [face_devil]

But the best part of the battle is Blizzard 1 going flank position (it tilts a bit) and mowing down a speeder.

10. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    what if that one rebel was luke? that could have been the greatest desicion the gunner ever made.

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yup..adios Rebellion right there. And Luke was a much more obvious target, considering he was running toward the AT-AT and wearing a fricking organge flightsuit...?

As for whatwas he thinking? Target practice face_devil.

12. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yeah, I love the AT-AT that takes a step back and tilts its head down so that it can intercept the Rebel speeder. Talk about knowing how to plot a trajectory, that gunner could really lead a target!

13. ZX-34122

ZX-34122 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2004
    What ever happend to all those guys in the trenches? Were they blown to peices by the AT ATs? Did the Snow Troopers get them? Did they leave on a shuttle?

But the one guy getting killed is pretty weird.

14. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    That one dude getting blasted is funny. Im sure more got shot the same way "off camera".

15. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    I thought that the walker shot at the speeder so you could see the difference between a normal shot and MAXIMUM fire power, all in the same camera shot. To really drive home the destructive power of MAXIMUM fire power. But that's the technical storyteller in me manifesting itself.

16. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    I always felt bad for that dude. But it's kind of amusing how after he falls he rolls like 50 times before coming to a stop.

As for the "coming out of lightspeed too close to the system" line, I've always thought that the fleet could have detected and bombarded the rebels from afar, and the rebels wouldn't have had their shield up because they wouldn't have known the Imperial fleet was there.
    Coming in so close, the rebels were able to immediately raise their shield, and the Imperials were forced to use a ground assault.

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    4LOM got it exactly right.

18. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Thanks, Bib.

19. Knightstorme

Knightstorme Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2003
    I thought they would actually drift in. That way the rebels wouldn't know if it were meteors or ships.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.