Battle Of The Heroes vs. Duel Of The Fates

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi, May 30, 2005.

?

Battle Of The Heroes vs. Duel Of The Fates

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
Battle Of The Heroes 111 vote(s) 51.4%
Duel Of The Fates 105 vote(s) 48.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  2. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I'm not going to vote on this for at least a few more days, but which do like better?
  3. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Knight

star 3
    Whichever one I'm listening to at the time. :p

ttbk
  4. emilsson Chosen One

star 6
    I prefer Duel of the Fates because of its melody and I think it's better arranged.
  5. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Battle of the Heroes it has a more epic feel in my opinion but DOTF is a close second for my favorite PT theme
  6. jadailyTCU Jedi Knight

star 1
    Duel of the Fates all the way. I love the Sanskrit chorus, plus I just like the melody better.
  7. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Before I saw RotS I was saying DotF was better. Now that I've seen it I say that BotH is better. There is just so much more emotion behind it. Very epic.

DotF is still a masterpeice.
  8. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    DotF

BotH is brilliant, but there's something about DotF that BotH lacks. Maybe it's slightly more diverse.
  9. Emperor's Prize Jedi Master

star 4
    DOTF. As much as I love BOTH, when DOTF is juxtaposed with BOTH in ROTS, it's like the movie takes on a whole other level of intensity.
  10. Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh man it's sooo hard those are like my almost 2 favs... Though it matters listening outside movie duel of fates.. Listeneing during movie BOTH
  11. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    "Duel of the Fates." But both are overrated.
  12. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Duel of the Fates.

Battle of the Heros is just backing music.
  13. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    BOTH blows DOTF away. DOTF is too churchy for me and used too much.
  14. Boba_Phat Jedi Master

star 4
    Duel of the Fates. It was an instant classic. I don't find Battle of the Heroes all that memorable.
  15. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I am so worn out on DOTF that it doesn't really affect me anymore. It's a good theme, but it's a one-trick pony, really.

BOTH gets my vote for packing a lot of emotion and excitement into a very versatile and impactful theme.
  16. DarthSkeptical Jedi Master

star 3
    Well, this is a toughy, because "Battle" is, to my ear, a derivative of "Duel", and not, therefore, a theme in its own right. It's the "middle" of the arc between "Duel" (arguably the "Old Jedi" theme), "Across the Stars" (the love story being the principle tranformational impetus), and "The Imperial March" (which might as well be called the "New Sith" theme). Complicating the choice is the fact that they're both really, really good--better IMHO than much of what's in the OT score.

Still, though I may like "Battle" more, ultimately this poll is a "false" choice between two fundamentally unequal works, and I'm gonna have to abstain. A more answerable poll might be something like choosing between "Across the Stars" and "Yoda's Theme" or between "Anakin v. Obi-Wan" and the various pieces ("The Duel Begins"/"The Dark Side"/"Darth Vader's Death) that comprised the end battle of Episode VI.
  17. outrider462004 Jedi Master

star 4
    BOH sounds like it dosen't belong in SW. Its ounds like it was written for a concert or musical or play or something besides a move. And then when they heard it, they said that would be good for SW. Thats what makes it so interesting and good. I pretty much don't listen to classical music except for soundtracks to some movies. If this was not in SW, I might love it as I do now.
  18. qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Knight

star 1
    If we're going from their uses in the films, then I'd see they're even. They both work incredibly good whenever they're played.

But in terms of concert suites (is that what it's called?), I found Battle of the Heroes to be quite boring.

So I vote Duel of the Fates.
  19. grand_admiral_ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    They are both great themes (memorable and hummable) in their own right, and as applied in the films they underscore events on screen very well.

But to be honest, DOTF has a very hollow sound to it, one that, in my view, is devoid of emotional force.
    Also, I associate it with Darth Maul, so the meaning that the theme carries is minimal. In AOTC when Anakin speeds across the desert looking for his mother the only feeling the theme evokes is one of determination. In ROTS when used in the Sidious-Yoda fight it serves only to remind us that we are watching the two most powerful Force-users of all do battle and that this is a clash of the titans.

BOH on the other hand underscores a clash between brothers. But in any case I think it sounds better, and that's why it got my vote.

20. Emperor's Prize Jedi Master

star 4
    grand_admiral_ewok posted on 5/31/05 7:18am
    />
    To me, DOTF is more epic and BotH is more personal. Battle of Heroes is an amazing piece but, for me, Duel of the Fates will always be the cornerstone piece of music for the PT./>/>
  21. jadailyTCU Jedi Knight

star 1
    In ROTS when (DotF is) used in the Sidious-Yoda fight it serves only to remind us that we are watching the two most powerful Force-users of all do battle and that this is a clash of the titans.

That's why I like DotF even better there than in its original use in TPM: It serves to show us how epic the battle is.
  22. RurouniKJS Jedi Knight

star 2
    I was mostly nonplussed by the preview of BOTH before the CD release. It became a favorite once I heard the whole thing, but it never kicked my musical g-spot like DOTF did from the start. Only once I heard it in the film's context did it even begin to contest DOTF. So you can probably guess how I'm gonna vote on this poll.
  23. GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I just voted for DOTF

Tied at 13 votes each now.
  24. nisomer Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok, im not gonna vote, but can someone tell me what the DOTF is actually suppoesd to represent? Like BOH is for the battle between obiwan and anakin. What is DOTF supposed to represent?
  25. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    DOTF was originally written to underline the Darth Maul duel in TPM, but has since come to represent the battle between the light and dark sides of the Force... or something.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.