main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Battlefield 1942

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Vezner, Jun 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Has anyone else seen the videos for this game? I think that it looks as cool as MOHAA but with many more enhancements. I would love to get a submarine and ambush some carriers that attack my island. [face_mischief]
    Oh man do I want this game!

Check it out...
    battlefield1942.com

I personally like clicking on the demo link. Oh yes, it will be coming soon. :)

2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    We have a thread here, but it didn't get any attention. So I guess we can just discuss it in this thread.

It looks like this game is WW2 Online done right. It looks like a blast to play, hopefully it will be.

The only thing that sucks is that it comes out like two days within Age of Mythology's release date. :_|

3. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    No kidding. The SP and MP looks awesome and from all reports it sounds like the programming was done so that it will run nicely in MP even with a 56K modem (which is what I am currently cursed with). The levels are very large and the strategic possibilities seem to be vast because of this fact. I certainly hope that it doesn't turn into another World War II online game, though I seriously doubt that it will. *shiver*

Did you hear about the SP game and how it will have an advanced AI that changes tactics every time you play the game? Sweet!
    That will make it very replayable.

4. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Nah, I haven't read that. I'm just stoked about all of the vehicles. This game should really be a blast to play.

5. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Yes the vehicles do sound cool. I personally hope that they work better then the ones in Renegade did. I was really dissapointed in that one... :(

The screens and videos make the vehicles in BTFLD look much cooler.

6. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    There are now rumors that a demo was leaked out on the internet. The message boards at the official game site are swamped with threads on this. EA has even said something about how this could do serious damage to the PR for the game and that it may jeapardise its release. BS!!!

Anyone else heard anything about this?

7. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    I haven't heard of that.

//goes off in search of demo

8. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    The official SP demo is finally released. I am downloading now... *drool*
    ;)

9. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Played it last night. Part of me loves it, and part of me realizes it's Tribes 2 with the much overused WW2 theme. Still, great fun, I'm expecting big things out of this one.... that is, if people can run it on their systems.

10. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Lucky for me I never really played Tribes 2 too much. ;)

As far as the WWII theme is concerned I guess I just love it. WWII is an interesting theme in history to study and experience in games and movies. IMHO.

11. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    I think that this game is cool. I wish that I could take a plane out for a spin (the demo only seems to allow tanks) but I suppose I can wait until I see the full game for that.

Otherwise the graphics are great, gameplay is good, and the levels are frickin' huge!!!

WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!
    :cool:

12. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    downloaded the demo today, its ok, but bot pathfinding sux

13. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    I also noticed that when I was in the tank turret and got shot while turning, my body continued to spin around.

14. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    The Demo is pretty buggy unfortunately. I have been able to get it to work on a laptop of my fiends (with the exception of a couple drops to the desktop) but on my personal desktop it crashes as soon as the level loads. I can do anything in the menu but the game itself, as soon as the level loads, just drops to the desktop.

I hear that the demo is version 1.0 and that the beta that is floating around is version 1.7. I certainly hope that the developers have fixed the drop to desktop problem because a lot of people seem to be having it. *sigh* typical rushed EA crap.

15. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    i was sitting in the machin gun on a pazer with a bit driving, and the bot tried to climb a hill that had about a 60 degree grain, no tank can get over that.

16. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    I hear that the demo is version 1.0 and that the beta that is floating around is version 1.7.

Yeah, I've heard similar things as well. Why EA would rush a demo out so quickly and put a poor impression in a lot of peoples' minds is beyond my capacity.

17. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Here is some more interesting information about the demo that was posted on www.bfnation.net

"Hello all!

I am sorry to inform you that the singleplayer demo crashes after a short while when running on a GeForce4 MX card.

We have addressed this now so the MX series will work for the final game. We apologize for the problems this has caused you.

I will take this opportunity to also inform you that the game will not run on any card not supporting atleast the same features as a GeForce1. So it will not support any TNT-card for example. This hard-to-make descision has allowed us to create a more compelling game as it allowed us to raise the bar quite a bit for what was possible.

/Johan
    (Lead programmer)"

I may have hope yet...but not until the full game comes out. GRRRRR!!! :mad:

18. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    thats why it keeps crashing on my GeForce 2 machine.

its fun, but an anti tank bot wont shoot you when your five feet away, pathefinding blows, and a sherman took out a tiger HEAD TO HEAD!

19. StormtrooperVF101

StormtrooperVF101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2001
    I'm running a Geforce 4MX card and it'll crash when you first try (have to reboot) but if you try and play again it'll usually work the second time around.

20. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    i just think the balance sucks. i mean a Sherman with an under powered 75mm took out a tiger in three shots! i mean if you hit a tiger in the frint with a 75mm, the shell would simply bounce off!

there are two ways to take out a tiger:
    1. 5 on 1, sure you will lose 4 shermans but the tiger would be dead too

2. hit it in the ass, put a shell right through its engine block and its out of commishion,

and the fact that i put 4 rockets into one tank's treads and it still kept comming. sorry but the game needs work

21. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    True, the game does need work but remember that it is a very early version of the game. This baby is still in Beta testing.

BTW, I hear at www.bfnation.net that there is a new level available for the demo that lets you use planes, boats, and other land vehicles on Wake island. *gets ready to search for more BF1942 fun* :)

22. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Oh, and BTW, I actually fixed my problem with crash to desktop bug. Even though I have a GeForce 2 MX 400 card (one that EA said would not work on the game) I found a way to get around it.

First one of the developers released this bit of info on the MX problem:
    "This has been fixed in code in a future release. If you want to run the game anyway. Here\'s what to do: In the settings folder there is a file called VideoDefault.con you edit this file with wordpad or ultraedit or whatever (not notepad) add this line:

renderer.hWProgramableTransformEnabled 0
    Save the file and restart your game and now you can run the game.

This is a Nvidia driver bug on the Geforce4 Mx and Go chipsets, where they accelerate vertex shaders in thier drivers (not on the GPU HW as usual). This seems to be very buggy at the moment although they are working on solving the problem.. The workaround found above solves the problem for now."

Unfortunatley this did not work for me. However I did end up finding out what my problem was. I have a VIA motherboard. I learned recently, through the Blizzard site, that there are new "4 in 1" drivers available for my MB and that if I downloaded them my game performance would run much better. I had to download them in order to get Warcraft 3 to work at all. Anyway after doing this my BF1942 SP demo started to work for me. No more crashing to the desktop.

So WOOT for me! Not that any of you probably care but I was sure happy. :)

BTW, the Wake island demo is AWESOME!!! There is nothing like diving a plane toward an aircraft carrier, flak exploding all around you, and releasing your torpedo into the water, then to be congradulated when you hear the distant boom as it slams into the carrier's hull. *drool* Back to the Battle...

23. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    WOOT!!! The MP Demo is coming out this week! WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!

24. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    Coolies. I'm looking forward to it.

25. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    OMG!!! JC Games game of the demo BF1942!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.