main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Battlefield 1942

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Vezner, Jun 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I haven't picked up Secret Weapons yet. Can anyone here give a quick review of it?

Does it still have the horrible frames of the demo? How well does the new assualt mode play? The new vechicles that aren't in the demo? I'm waiting for Gamespot and IGN to get with it and put up some reviews. They already have reviews up for FFTA, and that doesn't come out until next week. Silly.

I've been playing the demo more often, and it's funny. People are all about getting the jet pack, right? The thing is that the amphibious vechicles are much more useful and change the came in more interesting ways than the jetpack does. So, I laugh as I sail around the map with my German jeep capturing bases and mowing down guys with the machine gun.

I need to catch up with normal battlefield and RtR though. . . all this playing of the demo has bumped me back to the top 11% of players world wide at bfstats.com (username Wedge 88). I usually rest in the top 4-5%. Ah well. :D

2. bliv

bliv Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    I won't mentioned my recent rating. I've been playing knives only on Pacific Theatre maps. Where I run around as an American with a knife and try and stab as many Japanese Type 99 users as possible before the game ends.

I've went from top 4% down to like top 16%. Not that I care because the BFStats method of rating is stupid anyways.

As for Secret Weapons. Didn't have the chance to get it yesterday but I'll go out again today and try and find it. Review later.

3. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    It seems to record only half my games. I do like the method of only recording the last month's worth of games though. Otherwise the website would be overloaded and the rankings wouldn't really move at all. So, I don't have much problem with bfstats.

Knives vs. Type99s. OWN!

I do like the throwable knives in Secret Weapons. It makes it so you don't have to use some of your ammo if you've snuck up behind a guy. Just switch to knife real quick and chunk a blade into his back and move on.

4. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    I was experiencing some MAJOR slowdown in co-op SW, even though I was running only 32 bots. Never had that trouble before with BF1942. This happened on two seperate occassions. I even shut everything else down and rebooted my computer.

I'm talking painful slo-mo stuff.

5. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    i cant find the subs where are the subs????

6. bliv

Mar 23, 2002
    In Multiplayer on Midway and Guadalcanal maps.

They are the single spawn points in the water.

7. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
  8. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    There are subs? Cool. I have yet to get to my mates place and play MP with cable. I find with the time it takes to load on my computer I wont bother playing on 56k.

9. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    The .4 update for DC is amazing. Really really improved the gameplay.

JMA

10. Ubigod

Ubigod Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 16, 2003
    Has anyone had trouble with the new 1.5 patch? I downloaded the full patch and the game will freeze my whole computer when I try to exit the game or exit out of the map.
    The new map (Philippines) is a good one. The engineer has a new rifle. I heard some say that this is a taste of what BF Vietnam is going to be like.

Has anyone been playing some of the newer mods? Forgotten Hope has a good infantry map.

Is it true the next release for DC is next week?

Ubi

11. bliv

Mar 23, 2002
    Been out of the scene myself. May reinstall but I'm giving myself some time away from it because I wasn't having fun just before Academy came out.

12. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I haven't played it in a little while to be honest. However I did install the 1.5 patch/map and I must say that it is fun. The PT boats are a riot. I like having mines that you can lay and torpedoes to shoot at other ships. I also REALLY appreciate the fact that the M1 is finally making an appearance. I personally love the M1 and it has always been a shame that BF1942 didn't include it.

Anyway, I need to go get the fixes for all of my favorite mods. Forgotten Hope and EOD are my two all time favs but XWWII is right up there as well.

Anyway, see ya later!

13. bliv

Mar 23, 2002
    Anyone still playing?

I reinstalled yesterday with the latest updates and it's still as good as it was months ago.

Still has absolute idiots that can't face being killed and have to verbally assault their killer. Plus the team play still hasn't improved but that's the beauty of the public servers.

The original game still reigns supreme over the expansions. I much prefer Iwo Jima, Midway, Omaha, Stalingrad etc. to any of the maps in either expansion.

Anyone who has been playing care to update me on the mod scene? I've heard that there is an SDK out, which should allow all manner of new things. Are people still playing Desert Combat or has something else come along? How has it improved since 0.38/0.4? How about EoD? That was looking good in version 0.1, is it still worth getting the latest update?

14. Ubigod

Jan 16, 2003
    I am still playing, when I see my friends online. The DC mod is still the main mod. The two main maps I am playing now are DC Basrah Nights Dc Basrah Edge. These two are mostly infantry maps. No tanks in either. Nights is strictly an infantry battle. Forgotten Hope I play sometimes to. Also has some good maps. Haven't played Eod since the first release. Heard that they had drama behind the scene.
    All the mods except DC still have a problem finding a server with people on it.

Ubi

15. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    So, I was finally introduced to BF 1942 at a friend's place last night. It always sounded cool to me, but as I only have a dial-up connection I assumed that there wasn't much reason for me to check it out (I assumed it was completely a multi-player online game).

Yow!!

First off, I was amazed at the amount of detail on this thing... for a game this massive, they seem to have just loaded it with stuff. Plus, once I realized that my buddy was playing single-player rather than online multi, I was pretty damned impressed with the AI. I played the Wake Island map for awhile, and noticed that the bots seem to work together (and with the player) fairly well... at one point I found myself face-to-face with a Japanese tank, with nothing that would touch it but a few grenades. I lobbed a couple and managed to take a little paint off of the enemy tank, and all of a sudden two American tanks roared up behind me and nailed the thing with simultaneous cannon shots. Now THAT'S some support... I only wish the wingmen in the Rogue Squadron games were that useful! ;)

Obviously the online multiplayer is where it's at, but as long as the AI is good enough in the single-player portion, I may pick up a copy even without the ability to play it online (I have to assume that a 56K dial-up connection is going to be too cumbersome to make this game much fun... or am I mistaken about that too?)

16. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    I used to play BF1942 with a 56k connection and as long as I joined a 32 player server with a ping in the 200 range, it worked fine. BF1942 really does have one of the best netcodes that I have ever seen in a MP game. In fact the only gripe I have about it is that it was produced by EA. DANG YOU EA!!! DANG YOU!!!!!!!! ;)

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that the Experience WWII mod has just had a new version released and it is pretty cool. It's somewhat like FH in that it is more realistic than the original game. I recommend that you give it a try if you are into WWII history. Go to fileshack to get a copy of it. I'm sure that it is available elsewhere but I'm too lazy to find you a link. ;)

17. Ubigod

Jan 16, 2003
    BF1942files has an interview up with one of the members of the Galactic Conquest Mod. The interview states that the mod will have 8 maps. Of course an actual release date wasn't given. Also mentioned, was that the parachutes were removed and they are tring to build a teamplaying friendly mod. Some in game pictures where also provided, including a pic of storm troopers.

interview

Ubigod

18. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    Another mod that's realistic like Experience WWII is Forgotten Hope. Supposedly, the next version is coming out as soon as the BF 1.6 patch is released.

19. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    So what do you guys think of the 1.6 patch? I'm totally impressed. I think that my FPS has gone up since installing it and how can you not apperciate PB. I also like the fixed chat interface and the new voting system.

BF1942 is doing good my friends!

20. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    It's nice to finally see a vote stand a chance of passing. And who wouldn't like PB? (Unless you're a cheater. ;) )

Right now there's a lot of vote spamming, but that should be expected from a "new toy" and I'm sure it'll die off quickly.

21. Ubigod

Jan 16, 2003
    I did noticed that if someone called somebody a noob and then started a vote, that person would either be voted off or pretty close to it.
    The first time I heard the Canadians talk, I got a good chuckle. "your mothers is a beaver" Do canadians actually say that, eh?
    Anyone noticed that the GC mod says that they have a space map?
    http://www.swbattlefield.jolt.co.uk/
    They got pictures at their web site. Interesting to see if that is true when the mod is released.
    The next DC released is supposed to be Friday.

Ubi

22. bliv

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm back on the Battlefield too.

1.6 has been hell. Punkbuster support is causing a lot of problems for many people. Just scan the forums and you will see tons of posts on lag and crashes. For me it caused freezing initially but I ironed that out. Turns out that it conflicts with Norton Antivirus.

The new voting feature, as I predicted, is frustrating. People can vote now which is a plus but it gets spammed so much. An accidental team kill and you get OMG! OMG! OMG! TK! TK! TK! Next thing you know you are voted off the server. Add that to the map votes every minute and random votes on people for no apparent reason. It will turn out to be good but for now it's just a major pain.

Desert Combat. I've uninstalled 0.6 Does anyone know if 0.7 will be a full install or another patch to 0.5? I'm thinking of patching back up to 0.6 tomorrow if it is the later. I enjoy the mod but it lags a bit too much. If this fixes the lag and balance issues then I'll support it again.

Still on the Desert Combat front. Trauma Studios and DICE have come to some sort of agreement. They are going to be working together on a project. No idea what it is myself but I would not be surprised if it's a retail version of Desert Combat much like Counterstrike and Day of Defeat. It's apparently a 12 month deal and from something I read earlier it did sound a lot like a retail version of DC. However don't quote me on it, because I could be very wrong.

Galactic Conquest. God, it's been so long. I really loved that Hoth map when it was first released. But to be honest there was no follow up from the team to hold interest in the mod. My interest faded and I uninstalled it a while back. But with 8 maps, including what looks to be a redone Hoth map and a very nice looking space battle, the 2nd release is now starting to sound a lot more appealing to me. My major worry is that it lags heavily on maps with large indoor sections like Hoth. If they can keep it running smoothly on ALL systems that can run BF smoothly (even with lowered graphics) then it will be a big success. If not then I'll be very disappointed as the project looks very impressive.

I also hear that Eve of Destruction 0.3 is in the works. I've been a big fan since 0.1 because the team always managed to provide a large map base on which their mod centres. There was a little something for everyone with open, close combat and flight maps. I always felt EoD was one of the most polished mods. The team makes sure everything feels good and plays well before it's out. I've no idea what is in 0.3 but I bet there will be another 4-6 maps at least and a handful of new vehicles etc. I just hope they do enough to offer a serious alternative to Battlefield Vietnam.

Finally, I've also been playing Forgotten Hope. This is one of my favourite mods at the moment. It has so much potential but the team need to get the new version out soon. The new maps look awesome. The Stalingrad map looks classy with the Volga River and the advance up the hill. They also seem to have a ton of new models to add this time judging by their site. It looks like this next release will be an important one though because the community for FH is a small one and it's hard to find good servers.

23. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Interesting stuff on the GC mod. I hope the next release is as good as you say it will be. EoD is also one of my favorite mods, along with FH. I almost hate to admit it, but DC is not a mod that I have a lot of love for. I guess the ground combat is cool and everything, but I just can't get the hang of flying the jets in that game. They are just too danged fast for me to be effective with them. In vanilla BF1942, I am an Ace (no humility here, ;)) but in DC I am, and probably always will be, a n00b in a jet. The choppers are cool though. ;)

Just out of curiosity, in vanilla BF1942, what is your favorite map?

For me, I think it's Wake Island. I almost always join servers that only play that one map. It is a fast paced map with all modes of warfare (land, sea, and air). It's just an all around awesome map.

24. jedi_yarael_poof

jedi_yarael_poof Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2004
    I'm not very familiar with Internet MP games, but I tried on BF1942 with a 56K and I kept getting error messages saying that I can't connect to a server. Can anyone help?

25. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Have you patched your game yet? You need to have version 1.6 in order to be able to play on most servers now days.

I used to play on a 56k connection and it always worked fine for me as long as I stuck with servers that had a ping in the 200 range and with 32-40 players max.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.