main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Battlefield 1942

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Vezner, Jun 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bliv

bliv Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    I've not got an out and out favourite map. However I always seem to rank top 3 every time on Midway, so I guess it's my favourite.

I pretty much like all the maps except Coral Sea, Battle of Britain and Kursk. El Alamein isn't that great either but other than that I'm happy to play any map.

Wake is a good one for me. I always score highly because there is plenty of work to do on the ground and it's harder for tanks to contend with the island setting (you can slip down the banks to escape them and they are always subject to bombing from planes and ships).

2. jedi_yarael_poof

jedi_yarael_poof Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2004
    I just downloaded the 1.6 patch and I'm trying to install it, but it'll stop responding right after the load bar finishes. Help?

3. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I'm not sure what would cause that. The patch worked fine for me.

I suggest that either you download the patch again (maybe yours is corrupted somehow) or you may want to try to reinstall BF1942 completely before patching.

4. jedi_yarael_poof

jedi_yarael_poof Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2004
    Download the patch AGAIN?! Oh no no no. I spent 25-30 hours downloading it!

5. bliv

Mar 23, 2002
    If you are in the US or the UK try picking up a copy of the latest PC Gamer. Get the DVD edition and it should have the patch.

6. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    yay finaly got a cdkey gen for my copy(lost the cdkey) im now waiting for sbc DSL!

7. Ubigod

Ubigod Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 16, 2003
    So what is everyone opinions of the New FH and EOD releases? I found so far that FH has been laggy for me, but the new maps I have played were fun. EOD was also impressive with their latest version. As long as this mod stays alive, I can't justify paying money to EA for a slighty altered version.
    Also Planetbattlefield had this little tidbit:
    The Galactic Conquest mod has just released their brand new preview movie for their up and coming v0.2 release. This movie showcases want is in store for all of us fans out there. This new version, v.02, will be hitting us all March 12th. So, if your a fan and wanting to get more of a taste, check out this 24MB movie!

Just watched the movie. I actually DL it from fileplanet not planetbattlefield. The preview is worth loking at. Hopefully GC is released with no lag and no major malfunction this time. It looks great and this time it will have 8 maps released instead of just the one.

Ubi

8. bliv

Mar 23, 2002
    I've got one major problem with EoD 0.3 The M60 100 shot fully automatic sniper rifle. Also known as the machine gunner class. This completely negates the other 4 classes in infantry heavy maps. (eg. Closefire, the new chasm map and a few others) Go prone and the thing is far too accurate. This needs fixing before the game can become fun.

Forgotten Hope is fantastic. The 20ish new maps are all great and even the converted maps have been made better. As for lag....I get none and my system sucks. Although I do get terrible load times.

9. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    My favorite mod on BF1942 is EoD. It has the least amount of lag when compared to the other mods. FH runs like a slide show on my computer and I have virtually no lag on vanilla BF (aside from the lag commonly found on a server that needs to be restarted). DC runs choppy for me on certain maps. But I have had little to no trouble with EoD.

As far as the .2 release of GC, the trailer did look good but I'm afraid it will just be another lag fest for me. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

10. bliv

Mar 23, 2002
    My laughable specs.

P4 1.7Ghz
    256Mb Ram
    64Mb GeForce 3 Card
    60Gb HD space

My system sucks but I can run 32 player Forgotten Hope no problem on medium settings, even though it takes ages to load. I doubt I will have a problem with GC except the space maps maybe.

As much as my system sucks, I could care less. I can run Jedi Academy, KoToR and BF1942. I'm easy pleased.

11. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    I have a 1.2 ghz machine with 512 megs of ram. GeForce 4 TI4200 card with 64 megs of ram.

I can run most games now days on high detailed graphics, but I'm afraid that the new ones are going to require an upgrade (HL2 and Doom 3 to be specific).

Anyway, I will try a 32 player server as you mentioned. I usually stick to 40 player servers or more, but I can scale down if necessary. ;)

12. Ubigod

Jan 16, 2003
  13. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    .21? I thought it was supposed to be .2. Did they patch it already?

I'm at work right now so I can't test it. :(

I need some reports. Is it cool!? It doesn't lag too much does it?

14. Mace_Windoo

Mace_Windoo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Yeah it's laggy. But the maps are really cool.

My favorite is either Tatooine or ISD Judicator (which is their version of the scene from the beginning of ANH).

The space maps are kinda weird... but they're still cool.

15. Ubigod

Jan 16, 2003
    About GC
    I didn't have any lag. But there was people complaining that they had lag. I played the majority of the maps. Well it has nice load up screens. It does load up faster than FH does for me.
    The game play is different than BF, I actually had a hard time aiming. I'm not a pilot so I really can't tell you about all the new vechiles. Hoth is much better. Things seemed to move faster than the orginial map release. The other maps are ok, my first impression is it is ok.

16. Dragar

Dragar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2002
    Any of you guys picking up Battlefield Vietnam this week? I've heard great things about it and I'm looking forward to killing a few people in the jungle or flying in the helicopters with Ride of the Valkyries playing while shooting some VC players.

17. bliv

Mar 23, 2002
    No, not yet.

As for Galactic Conquest I think it's a bit hit or miss sometimes. I find that the hit detection system is either screwed or it takes far too many hits to bring a ship down. Look at the way ships can manuever, they can easily get out of the firing line after taking a hit, which means it takes far too long to bring them down. Judicator is a joke as well. If the Rebels had proper weapons on board the ship then maybe it would be fair.

18. Dragar

Dragar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2002
    Battlefield Vietnam is great, alot of great new maps and weapons and there is a timer at all the outposts showing how long you need to be there to gain patrol and its fun just even being in the jungle hidden picking off unsuspecting people who just walk right by you. Only complaint is US gets a weapon kit that has the M60 with 100 round clips and a Bazooka and the M60 is way way overpowered right now so of course everyone on the US uses it and nothing else.

19. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Battlefield: Vietnam is an early contender for Game of the Year

Seriously guys, if you liked 1942, you are going to love Vietnam. Even if you didn't like the first BF I would give this a shot, it is slightly different. This is a must have for the serious gamer. There is much fun to be had.

20. Ubigod

Jan 16, 2003
    Has anyone tried the 1918 mod about WW1? It has slowed down the game play especially for vechiles. I can actually fly these planes. Plus it has blimps.

As for BFV I been told to hold off until they release the patch because of the lag problem. And another said that the demo is for sale at Best Buy for ten. Not sure if that is true or not, but if it is EA are greedy SOBs.

Ubi

21. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    So what's the verdict on 1942 vs Vietnam?

I've been learning a bit about 3d modelling, and I'm looking at getting a game that I can start to cut my teeth on with making new skins etc. Does anyone know if Battlefield 1942 is a good choice? (I assume that as it's been out longer, it would be better than Vietnam for that purpose?)

22. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

Does anyone know where to get a no cd patch for BF1942 and the 2 expansions?

23. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    That's a nono

24. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    BFV is an ok game but it needs patching real bad. I haven't played it for a while because I am waiting for the 1.1 patch. I think it will be much more playable for me after that is released. I can play it as is but the netcode is so bad that I can't handle a server with more than 40 players or I get lots of chop. With BF1942, I can play on 64 player servers with no lag at all. That is telling me that there is a lot of patching that needs to be done on BFV. I'm hoping that after sufficient patching, BFV becomes just as good as BF1942. After all, BF1942 needed to be patched like 7 times or so before it finally felt finished. ;)

BF1942 is an awesome game and I still play it at least once or twice a week. It has SO much replay value. It was the best $50 I have spent for quite some time.

As far as CD keys, you aren't getting mine. ;) :p

25. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

I own the game, but I want to play it without the CD like in UT2004. I hate havin CDs lying all over my desk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.