main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Battlefield Lesson (a Jedi remembers what the war is really all about)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuminaraFan4Evr, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuminaraFan4Evr

LuminaraFan4Evr Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 14, 2006
    No, I'm not dead... I'm just trying to survive high school! I finally got around to writing another story, so check it out!

The Jedi stands, her casually firm pose a clear, yet unconscious, echo of the attention position. The twin suns of this planet sink past the edge of the horizon, their rays painting vivid crimson across the sky and the flat landscape. In the dusky twilight, the shimmering river appears bloody as it snakes across the plain.

The Jedi remembers a river ? not this one, another, not even on this planet ? running red with blood and fire. She remembers the screams, the harsh, pitiless cries that even the Force could not calm, the taste of burning ashes hot in her mouth, the smell of death and pain as thick as the smoke in the air?

The sound of a voice draws her back to the present. A soldier she recognizes as Republic kneels by the side of a fighter she has never seen before. It is from the known one that the voice comes. Too far away to make out more than the sound of the words, the Jedi settles for watching. It doesn?t take the training of a Jedi to see that the fallen soldier will never rise ? why else would he still be lying on this long-abandoned battlefield, the shells on the ground having grown cold many hours before? ? but he lives, at least for the moment.

The Jedi remembers standing by the bodies of too many comrades, on too many worlds, for too many of the wrong reasons.

A few traded words, and the Republic soldier hands his canteen to the other, helps him to drink one last time. The fallen one shivers once and lies still. Silently, the other removes his helmet in a solemn salute. He stays there for a moment before pulling himself to his tired feet again. As he passes the Jedi, he nods to her: the acknowledgement of a superior?s presence.

She remembers a time when she would have scolded him for doing so.

?Soldier.? She speaks without turning, senses him stop.

?Yes, ma?am?? His voice is pleasant, polite, carrying none of the fatigue she knows his body holds.

?Was he one of us??

?Republic? I don?t know. I doubt he knew, either.? There is no asperity in the words.

?What was he saying to you??

?He? wanted me to contact his parents for him.?

?Thank you, soldier.?

She hears his footsteps resound off the rocky ground as he disappears into the darkness, and she remembers what they are fighting for.

******* fin *********
    r and r please?

2. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Good to have you back! (I sympathize with your school woes--I've two college finals left.)

I really, really liked this story. The memories were well sketched, and the fact that nobody knew who the fallen soldier was for made everything fall into perspective.

Raptor517

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    war is horrible and you have captured some of it in this piece. =D=

4. LuminaraFan4Evr

LuminaraFan4Evr Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 14, 2006
    Thanks for the reviews you two! I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this post to check the replies, but I was at first a victim of a very bad Internet connection, then grounded and then sick, leaving no time for Internet. Sorry! Thanks for replying and hopefully more stories will come from me soon. Happy holidays everyone!

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Wow - that was extremely powerful and the voice you wrote in was superb. Magnificent job!

6. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    a sip of water and a message home

last rites touchingly portrayed

nice work

7. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Great job- you got alot across in a very short piece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.