main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I hated the stormtroopers vs. the Ewoks though. Those little (I can only come up with words I can't say on this board) ruined my Galactic Conquest anyday.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  2. SWfan1020

SWfan1020 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    A good set of modding tools for the PC version would be welcome. Being able to make custom characters, weapons, vehicles, and maps adds a lot of replay value to a game.

thejeditraitor and FRAGWAGON like this.
  3. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

Definitely. Assuming that the PT and OT eras would be featured in the final game, a good set of modding tools would allow other eras to be explored like KOTOR and TOR.
    I remember the mod for SW:BF II that added the KOTOR era into the game. Played hours with it, especially with Revan and Bastila.

Furthermore, I would like SW: BF 3 to be a little more realistic in terms of health values. I'd prefer if a droid died with 2 blaster bolts, as well as Stormtroopers and Clone Troopers.

4. SWfan1020

SWfan1020 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    I downloaded a mod for BF1 that reduces the health of characters so they die after one or two hits. I like it, but matches end faster because troops are lost faster. I haven't found a way to increase reinforcement counts to extend the length of matches.

5. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

The battlefront Extreme Mod for SW:BF2 does the same, but also increases the reinforcement count; along side with many many changes regarding the isual look of the game, the skins and it's gameplay. Excellent mod.

6. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

Not possible. The modern Frost Engine maps are simply way too complicated for people to mod it and build new maps easily.

7. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

Leaving aside the awkwardness of the statement "simply way to complicated", it's not like game developers are some super human breed, and nobody else could work it. They just happened to have the opportunity to be employed in that field. I wouldn't doubt that if modding tools were released somebody would be able to use them. (And yes, I'm talking out of my ass with no programming experience, so take it as you will).

That said, I would suspect no modding tools would be released because it cuts into the DLC market.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Dak Oolron like this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Uh, it's completely possible to mod Frostbite 3, they just historically haven't supported it or provided mod tools. They even acknowledge in their statements on the matter that it's about engine security, not some kind of "complexity" - as if the latter ever deterred anyone.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I would rather have an OT only game over something that has TCW in it, so this doesn't bother me yet.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

Leaving aside the awkwardness of the statement "simply way to complicated", it's not like game developers are some super human breed, and nobody else could work it. They just happened to have the opportunity to be employed in that field. I wouldn't doubt that if modding tools were released somebody would be able to use them. (And yes, I'm talking out of my ass with no programming experience, so take it as you will).

That said, I would suspect no modding tools would be released because it cuts into the DLC market.[/quote]

Sure, people would be able to mod the game if the tools are released. The issue is the tools would most likely reveal how the Frost Engine allows you to destroy buildings in-game, and this something DICE would not want to reveal.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Folks (and Ender in particular), no opinion on movies is definitive (particularly something as divisive as the PT) and while arguing critical consensus data and such is certainly valid, please do not attack others for holding an opposing point of view from your own (the mocking images and descriptions, for instance). Discuss the subject not the user(s) posting them. This is a general warning for this thread- I don't want to see more of that or see it escalate further.

To the topic at hand, there could be very good reasons why they've only focused on OT content for Battlefront so far. Firstly, the ST will have more visual ties to the OT and Rebels as far as carry-over ships and such go than the PT, so since this game won't be coming out til mid or late 2015 as a tie-in for the film, it makes sense for them to leverage those visual elements.

Additionally, a good part of the developer diary was focused around visiting the real world locations for reference photos and study for their recreation in the games. Since the PT locations were primarily all CGI (particularly the key pt battle locations of Naboo, Kamino, Geonosis & Kashyyk), there are no locations for them to visit (and many of the set models used in the films were probably not saved) and would probably be brought in later after they finish the hard-reference work of the OT locales.

12. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012

I agree mostly. It doesn't seem logical to include TCW since it's a cartoon, but for the same reason I have a hard time believing they will put Rebels in it. The gameplay looked realistic and it seems very hard to do the same with TCW and Rebels. I believe they will focus on the OT mainly because indeed the ST is coming up and the OT would make sense to market now. This doesn't take away that the PT may still be present in Instant Action and Galactic Conquest environments. I don't see why they would throw away the models (and there were many, see the thread in the PT-section of the forums) and secondly not use them for Battlefront. Making the OT first does make sense because they can finish it before releasing the game with OT and the main maps from the PT (I'm thinking Geonosis, Kashyyyk, Naboo (plains) etc.) and then rely on DLC to introduce new maps from the remainder of the PT, the ST, the Spin-Offs and maybe the cartoons.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think TCW & Rebels will be disqualified for being animation- the locations, ships, characters and events still exist in the SW universe and can still be represented in a realistic way without the cartoon stylization. No reason why Lothal or Christophsis or Umbara battles couldn't be represented in the game (even if they're not set during the timeframe of the shows).

EDIT- Also, when I mentioned models, I was referring to the physical models- some of those could be quite large and would be cumbersome to keep in storage. Much like how they don't keep sets after they're done filming on. CG models are still kept though.

Lord_Anzeroth and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    Good points everyone, but I hardly want an OT-focused only SW:BF 3. For me, it gives me the impression that the game is unfinished. Regardless of whether the PT is appealing to the general consensus or not it is part of Star Wars, as well as the characters, planets and battles that the PT introduced.

Also, regarding mod tools, Bioware is planning to release mod tools for Dragon Age: Inquisition, which also uses FrostBite Engine 3 .

15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    edit

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Quest, I've made repeated attempts to differentiate my opinion from what is an observable trend and in no way have I collated the two. If I had to speak harshly to one or two blank faces, so be it but I'm not actually doing what you said I did even if a few hurt bottoms said I did. Please read my posts and not what people say about them.

17. Padme's Love Slave

Padme's Love Slave Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2013
    My problem is that traditionaly the Battlefront games have given us both eras. The name Battlefront doesn't signify any particular era but is all encompassing. Now, if this game had a subtitle like Renegade Squadron did, that would be different. But calling it simply Battlefront and making it an OT era game is disappointing. It's just not what we've come to expect from the series. I mean, I wouldn't look at a new Rouge Squadron game and say "Where are the Naboo and Jedi Starfighters?! It's all OT!" Well, of course it is. It's Rouge Squadron. But Battlefront is different. They should have given it a subtitle if they wanted to make an OT era game. Something like Battlefront: Empire and Rebellion.

18. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I vote in favor if having battles from all the movies. The sometimes lackluster story of the prequels does not affect the story of a game. The battle scenes of TPM and AOTC are visually dazzling and actually very fitting for a video game.

also, we never saw the droid ship from TPM go down in a Battlefront game. I wouldn't mind playing that level. Genosis has been played out in both games. The attack on the Jedi temple has been played out. Order 66, too. I loved them in the previous games but they're done, ya know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Hunter of Bounties

Hunter of Bounties Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2014
    My one hope. I hope it won't be a demo for the next Battlefield like what DICE did to Medal of Honor's multiplayer. I know it's unlikely, but that thought will always linger in my head.

20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I think battles from all six films would be good and maybe some from the clone wars show would be fun too.

21. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I definitely think they could step up the destruction in these games, nothing screams Star Wars like dropping a Star Destroyer on your enemies.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and deadly jp like this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If they had the destroyed hulks of ships littered around the battlefield, I would like that.

23. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    I hope battlefront 3 is a game every starwars fan was waiting for, DICE better not mess this up or disappoint us.

24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Or a Death Star. :cool:

25. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    Hmm A star Wars game with the destruction from battlefront sounds great. I wonder what dice has planned for the actual story mode. I'm hoping we get someone thing original and new to expand partly on the NEU. Like a telling of the rebel alliance battles that weren't big ones. Have the multiplayer include places like hoth and hero characters.