main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Darth Azerous

Darth Azerous Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2015
    I was excited, but with new info starting to arise my excitement as died down a little. Especially considering there aren't going to be space battles.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    Has anyone seen this?

According to Polygon, there will be playable women stromtroopers in Battlefront III. I think this is a really cool idea, especially since from the EU, there have been women serving for the Empire, so I can't see why not include them in the battles. :)

3. Tobeh

Tobeh Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2015
    FINALLY someone with a positive perspective. Yes, I think that is actually really awesome :D

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'd love to be able to play as different species on the rebels, the Empire can have gender diversity and the Rebels can have race diversity! :p

5. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    So... I was just thinking of the planets we have confirmed for the game.
    Tatooine - famed for appearances in both A New Hope and Return of the Jedi.
    Hoth - the first battle of Empire Strikes Back
    Endor - the climatic battle at the end of Return of the Jedi
    Sullust - brief mention by Vader in Return of the Jedi.

If they aren't putting focus near the Clone Wars era, that leaves them with a small amount of actual planets to use. But looking at that list, they've brought in a planet that was only mentioned. Now aside from Yavin, Dagobah, and Bespin, what other planets were seen? What if, just like Sullust, they are holding back announcing the planets because we've never seen them in a Battlefront game before?
    Am I really giving them too much credit?
    Dantooine, Kessel, at a stretch Alderaan, Ord Mantell, maybe even Taanab.
    Dantooine and Ord Mantell appeared in the handheld Battlefronts, but EA have unrestricted access to make these planets fresh, new, and unrestricted. And from that, what if they even have a surprise planet, one that hasn't been seen in the films?

Again, I might be giving them too much credit, but it's just a possibility I've been thinking of.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  6. Sixsixer

Sixsixer Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2015
    They could save a lot of grief if they simply change the name of the game. Call it Star Wars "Battle Trenches", Battlelines, "Endor Awakens". Anything, They are setting themselves up for failure calling this battlefront 3.

What I've seen so far actually looks fantastic. It's just not Battlefront

7. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    Here is another article about the Battlefront III that Free Radical was planning, but was cancelled before released.

According to the developers, the game was 99% finished, but was cancelled for financial reasons.

Thoix Heoro and Saga Explorer like this.
  8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I've just realised that Darth Vader in the battlefront trailer despite being powered by superior graphical technology doesn't look as good as he did in The Force Unleashed Games

9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    A real mixed bag.

I don't want to just launch into negativity so the good stuff first. The look and presentation is outstanding! I'd bet my last pound the in-game won't look as good as the trailer, but even if it's 70-80% as good that'll be amazing. The attention to detail with both graphical and audio fidelity is tremendous and should be the absolute best to-date experience of actually "being there" for these planets. I really can't fault them one bit on that side of things. Getting Jakku as a free DLC is a nice bonus and while it won't be a Sequel Trilogy setting (it's set one year after ROTJ), it'll be a nice little tie-in to The Force Awakens.

But the bad stuff...hmm. I'm sorry for the loss of a story singleplayer campaign. It's a very easy setting to do something with and a great way for new players to get used to the controls and how to play. Rise of the Empire from BF2 for one was really good. The space battles going is also a shame, I wasn't the biggest fan of them in BF2 but they did offer a nice variety to ground battles and it felt like something that could really be built upon, rather than thrown aside. Also down about the lack of Galactic Conquest or similar, again due to variety.

Separate paragraph though for my biggest disappointment, and that's the total lack of Prequel/Clone Wars era content. It smacks a little of whitewashing the prequels away, unintended or otherwise (I believe the former) but mostly it's a huge letdown to miss out on so many extra settings, troops and vehicles. Some of the PT maps were the best from both Battlefronts and I'm genuinely gutted not to be able to see those up there as impressively realised as Endor or Hoth. I can only hold out hope of future DLC for this era, but that's both a questionable hope given the time it took them to create this OT content so far as well as the whole other kettle of fish about DLC and having to pay for a game you've already bought and all that jazz.

Overall...I'm still interested of course, but it's definitely slipped from a day one purchase to a "I'll wait and see what the reviews are like, maybe give it a month or two to see what the patches and DLC is like, maybe January sales" kind of situation. That surprises me, and does disappointment me.

Best thing EA could do, and soon, is get out the message of what this Battlefront does and will offer. Too much of the narrative now has been dominated by what they've taken/left out and they badly need to start hitting the positives.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

It was probably better than what EA is releasing

11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I think all this no space battles stuff is unfair....when you strip away the dogfighting in BF2 all you're left with a simple mode of shoot enemy cruiser a set number of times and then fly inside ONE mostly empty and small ship to shoot the same old targets that do no actual damage. Personally I've always thought the space battles were put on a pedestal.

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I don't even disagree that much, but it is something that had potential to be developed further with more to do.

If their hangup was that 'you're separating the players', then again don't worry about the nixed BF3 idea of surface-to-space and again keep them as individual maps.
    Everyone in space or everyone on the surface. You'd have had some people bemoaning that they couldn't do surface-to-space, but less than with nixing space maps entirely.

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  14. Jedi_Janitor

Jedi_Janitor Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2015
    I really feel this was a small taste of things to come. EA is not going to blow everything about the game at Celebration, E3 pulls in a bigger crowd, a gamer crowd, that is where we could get more details and a way better idea of what is to come.
    Personally, I fell bad for EA and the backlash it is getting, seems very much like a damned if you do, damned if you don't of late with EA and Battlefront. People cry about the lack of planets, EA comes out saying there is more to talk about. People cry about DLC, EA comes out and says the game is not designed for DLC sales, but will have them to make it better.
    Personally I cannot wait for Battlefront. It was one of the reasons I bought my PS4.

Anakin_Prime likes this.
  15. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Ok so I have read the last 10 pages of this thread. Im proud to see many Star Wars fan calling this game out.

Ok its one thing to take all this time to produce the game. No fan has a connection to Sullest and Jakku. There were no battles fought on Tatooine. This is were the lust for OT only content goes wrong. Either put in actual battles from All the films or mix it up. This news raised the value of Battlefront 2. Battlefront 2 is the definitive Star Wars game, it should get an HD remake. BF2 has everything. Its how a Star Wars game should be. These dice guys failed. Gave gamers 5 worlds, 2 of them never seen or experienced before, but then leave great worlds like Naboo, Geonosis, Mustafar and Utapah out of the game. If your going to make a complete game where are the OT space battles, where is Bespin, Deathstar, Yavin, Degobah? Why feature Vader and Fett with no reference to Luke, Han, Chewy, Greedo, Leia, Tarkin and Palpatine? Its not even a full OT game. Battlefront 2 needs an HD remake.

16. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I'd honestly be more down for a Battlefront 2 remaster on the PS4 than this.

idk like I said earlier I think what it is in the game will be good. I think making it play a bit like the Battlefield games could actually be a good thing (the Battlefront II feel is good but I think this will benefit from a more modern, less clunky, and more smooth feel) and I'm sure the maps we are getting will be very detailed and fun to play.

Not related to the game but I'm just insulted by EA. Aside from the first SSX (released nearly 15 years ago wow) I don't own any EA games, so I haven't dealt with their controversial way of selling things. I'm cool with DLC as expansion packs but separating content from the main game at release to leech out more money from people is just wrong, especially if it's going to be "locked content" on a disc you paid for and they expect you to pay more to access parts of the game that you just brought home (I've heard EA has done this with other games although I have not seen it myself).

As for the game itself, like I said, I'm sure it'll be good, I just wish there was more to it. I'm okay with them adding Sullust because that'll allow the game to introduce some EU stuff and I like how Battlefront II did that. Ideally there'd be 15 maps; 4 from each era and a space battle from each era. That's about how many maps your average shooter game has. These are of course, much bigger maps. So if they'd rather have fewer maps give us like four from the OT, four from the PT, Jakku to tie in the new series. And a couple space battles as a bonus just because they were fun but had so much more potential.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Legends business really took the wind out of my sails as far as Battlefront is concerned, because I was kind of looking forward to a Battlefront game that did a better job of incorporating the EU, especially weapons and equipment, but that obviously can't happen now.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  18. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I highly doubt they'll fail. The trailer has 15m views, a lot for a video game trailer, and already there have been probably a million preorders. 2 weeks ago when I went to go preorder at Gamestop there were 11 other people doing the same. In my small town that's something. And the game is on Amazon's best selling list right now, and it hasn't even come out yet.

Now critically it could be a failure, of course. But financially, EA is gonna make a killer off it regardless and will make another. I think people really need to give them a chance. This is EA/DICE's Battlefront, as they keep stressing. They don't need to call it something else. If they called it Battlefront 3, a continuation of the last series, then yeah, I can see why fans would be disappointed. But this is a reboot. Remember, Pandemic's first Battlefront didn't have space combat either, and didn't have a lot of the features BF2 had. And this is a next gen game, where they're focusing on quality, not quantity. That's why we're only getting 4 planets announced so far. It allows for more beautiful maps, more in depth maps, and not some small, thrown together map like some in BF.

Anakin_Prime and Maharishineo like this.
  19. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Lost all my hope for this game once I saw the recent trailer. It's a blatant cash grab from EA trying to make money off the name. They didn't put any in game footage in the trailer (why it looked so good graphics wise, nothing will look like that in game), space battles aren't available, there is no Clone Wars era combat, no classes (everyone will just use the same, most effective stuff), the biggest mode is 40 players. And of course, there will without a doubt be online DLC.

You're getting half the content of the older games, thats what they've said from all the information released so far.

20. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    100% agree!

I'm sure they haven't told us everything, and why should they? The game release date is really far away. The game may not have all the previous had, but I am still confident it will be on par with the others but maybe in a different way.

StarWarsFreak93 likes this.
  21. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    Exactly. We got one trailer, not gameplay, more a demonstration on what to expect. I was blown away, personally. These guys didn't go to the Lucasfilm archives to study the props just to make a mediocre game, folks.

22. DarthInsidiousMongo

DarthInsidiousMongo Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2015
    It is 100% predictable that I will be zipping around in an X-wing just as I did in Battlefront 2.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Incomplete game.

24. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    Again, you're just jumping to conclusions before we get any concrete information. We got info, yes, but in the grand scheme it's pretty small info so far. They haven't explained all the modes yet, all the maps (there is more than 8, as they keep repeating), customization of your characters, how Missions work. Just because they're releasing DLC doesn't mean the game is "incomplete". I think they're saving PT content and space battles for the next game. BF2 is when we got space battles, and if don't remember everyone going crazy over it. But now that the new BF is coming, everyone looks back on BF2 with Rose tinted glasses and says any future installment not like Bf2 is a failure. Very narrow-minded thinking.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Game will be crap

I don't trust EA