main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Battlefront 3 or KOTOR 3 -- Which one would you rather have?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lord-Draco, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Whatever...enjoy nerdlings.

2. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Maturity oozes from that sentence.

Anyways... Let's look at it this way. As a player of all games, KOTOR rocks way up on the higher level of RPGs. Honestly, you can compare it to Baldurs Gate, Final Fantasy, and the rest of the greats. You can say Knights of the Old Republic and Crono Trigger in the same sentence and not be laughed away.

Battlefront on the other hand is barely even scoff worthy in the FPS genre, where great games like Battlefield, Half-life, Quake, F.E.A.R., and DOOM reside. You even try to say Battlefront to anybody who actually plays a good deal of FPS, and you'll get beaten to death with your own limbs.

That being said, I enjoy both games... but if you're going to compare them, look what they did for their genre. KOTOR is the perfection of tried and true formula. Battlefront is a laughable attempt to play with the big boys.

3. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    I prefer KOTOR 3 to Battlefront 3 any day! I do enjoy the Battlefront games, but they can't really compare to KOTOR. I enjoy storytelling more than just pure gameplay. :)

4. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Also compare what each game did for Star Wars gaming in general. KOTOR came out during a time when Star Wars videogames were starting to be seen as dry. Then comes KOTOR basically reviving the Star Wars gaming brand.

5. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    KOTOR 3. Both of the Battlefront games are nothing more than rentals.

6. BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge

BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Battlefront 3

Cause I love to play with friends not just games by myself.

7. Darklord07

Darklord07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    KOTOR 3 hands down.

Curse oppm this is the 9923475934750923475902347509234875294 one for me today!

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Battlefront 3 would be great, but I've got to go with Knights 3.

9. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    KotOR III.

The fun combat action of Battlefront is great, but how many times can you rehash the same movie battles and locations into different games? The only way they could make another Battlefront would be to add in EU elements like they've done with the Jedi Knight series, Empire at War, and just about every other Star Wars game LA has made. And if I'm looking for EU gaming, I'm looking for a deep, immersive storyline that keeps me interested, in addition to great gameplay. So long as LucasArts learns from the mistakes of KotOR II, I think that KotOR III has the potential to rival the original KotOR in Star Wars RPG goodness.

10. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Like I said a 1,000 times before. EU is the future for LucasArts Star Wars titles.

11. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    And I love the people who think this is a bad thing... How many times can we run through the same six movies, people!? The utter confusion on a persons face when I explain "Luke isn't in KOTOR" is priceless too. I think most refuse to have an imagination and notice there are other characters in Star Wars.

12. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Speaking of imagination....

It is the very idea of imagination that makes Star Wars....Star Wars. George Lucas created something that nobody could ever think of. It was more than just your average Sci-Fi space movie. Its characters, items, locations, music and everything was unique at the time. This very concept should be applied to videogames. I mean why do you believe KOTOR is deemed by many gamers and insiders as the best Star Wars game of all time? Because it is different from all the others. Yes Jedi Outcast and other EU specific SW games were....EU. However those games still held references to the movies such as Storm Troopers, the Empire etc etc etc. KOTOR is 4,000 years before the movies. You don't hear about The Exchange or Czerka Coroporation in the movies or any other EU for that matter. You don't hear about the Rakata, Star Forge, or Trayus Academy in the movies. KOTOR was 100% Bioware's imagination. The only themes you saw in KOTOR that were in the movies were basic stuff like The Force, Lightsabers, Jedi, Sith, The Republic and what not.

With KOTOR we were basically taken to a time in Star Wars that never of us has ever experienced before. We were introduced to new characters, items, races, organizations, locations, themes, and even new music as John Williams music only made up like 2-5% of the soundtrack.

Lol, I think its funny how people have negative views on KOTOR. It is KOTOR that uses the underlining value that made Star Wars what it is today....and expansive imagination.

13. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I find the EU storylines poorly constructed, extremely convoluted and generally they like nothing better than to conflict with the cannon material which gave them their start.

Dark Jedi ?

Um sorry but this is a contradiction of terms.

Until the storylines improve and the characters and content reflect the cannon material then I'll stay away from the KOTR games.

Viva Battlefront!

14. TheGoonies

TheGoonies Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2005
    I go for Knights Of The Old Republic 3. Battlefront 2 was really no big improovement aside from Spacebattles the LIMITED use of Jedi stunk & the graphics were NO better then Battlefront 1. Unless Battlefront 3 gets a COMPLETE Make Over count me out & let them focus on finishing Knights Of The Old Republic. With Knights Of The Old Republic 1 they prooved they can do an amazing game with a great Story Line with good twists at the end so I am hoping they go back to their roots & finish off Knights Of The Old Republic with a bang [face_dancing]

15. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    See this is where ignorance clearly shows because to set you straight, George Lucas over looks all EU. He doesn't create it, but he has all of the final say so. An author just can't create some race, planet, or term without GL's final word. So in essence, GL okayed the Dark Jedi term and whatnot. In a past interview (Like in the late 90s or something) even explained the difference between a Sith and a Dark Jedi. So if GL believes in it and gives it a proper fitting in the GFFA, thats all that matters. Hell, a lot of the EU out there was created by the mind of GL because after 1983 when there was no more SW movies, Star Wars became novels and comic books so authors looked to GL for inspiration and GL basically gave them a core outline of the GFFA prior to EP4. GL created the backstory of the Sith, the Republic, and Jedi. So the authors takes the outlines from GL and incorporate them into these comics, novels, and even videogames. So yeah, the EU has nothing to do with the movies, but does that mean that they're inferior? Maybe not to you but some of the greatest Star Wars lore to people isn't the Adventures of Luke Skywalker or Anakin, but rather Exar Kun, Naomi Sunrider, and Jacen Solo.

I mean what is it that you wanted? Did you expect to see the Trade Federation in KOTOR? Did you expect to meet Mace Windu's ancestors in KOTOR? Did you expect to see beta/prototype versions of the Jedi Starfighter in KOTOR? Did you expect the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire to be going at it 4,000 years early in KOTOR? Did you want people to say "4,000 years from now the chosen one will be born" I mean come on, KOTOR may have been EU but it did add in many cannon material from the movies. Dantooine was mentioned once in the Saga, in EP4 by Leia. However KOTOR actually lets us explore this planet and even gives it a full history with its own races and everything. Now Dantooine is more than just a blurbbed out place by Leia, it now has a role in the GFFA. The Ithorians were only seen once in the Saga, mainly in EP4 but yet KOTOR expanded upon their idea, gave them voices, gave them a history and a place in the GFFA. In EP4 Obi-Wan says that for "Over a thousand years, the Jedi Knights" were peace and guardians of the Republic, that concept right there is pretty much the whole basis of KOTOR hence Knights of the Old Republic taking place 4,000 years before EP4....which gives meaning to "over a thousand years". You never looked at it that way have you?

I mean you talk about how the stories has to go with the cannon material but yet you forget the fact that KOTOR takes place 4,000 years before the cannon movies. Look at the society today and look back at society and times 4,000 years ago and see if things from then tie in hand to hand 100% with how times are today. I can understand if KOTOR took place 5 years before EP1 or something then your arguement would have some merit to it. You act like everything comics/books/games has to surround around the movies. How can material tie in directly to something that doesn't happen until 4,000 later? It is understood that things will be drastically different in KOTOR than they were in the movies because they were 4,000 years earlier. Just like aspects 4,000 years ago in real life are dreastically different from today. You believe that 4,000 years from now in 6005 things will be almost the same as how things are today? Some of the major points, wars, conflicts, figure heads, movtives, and ways of living 4,000 years ago is pretty much lost today just like the things going on today will highly differ from how things are in

16. Sekotian_Jedi

Sekotian_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    KOTOR 3 without a doubt.

It probably has more substance and an overall better experiance than a "shooter", espesially if BioWare does it.

17. Revan1138

Revan1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2005
    KOTOR 3 without a second thought.

BF2 didn't seem as big a step from BF1 as everyone expected it to be. Unless they bring some EU elements into the series now that the movies are finished, I'm not really interested.

18. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    KOTOR III, no doubt. Is this even a serious question?

_Max

19. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    I tried to explain this in the BF3 Speculation thread but I just gave up. Some people are just so close-minded/conservative these days.

I'm going to stick behind what I say. BF3 may not need EU because people is going to buy it regardless, just cause of the BF name and for the idea that its a graphical update. However, that concept won't fly with BF4 and possibly a BF5.

I mean BF2 added Jedi/Heros/Space Battles and a whole slew of new modes. BF3 probably won't add much, probably a few new gimmic modes and better graphics. But what about BF4? What is Pandemic going to do for that? EU/New planets is something that has to be explored for people to keep its interest in it.

EA/DICE stuck with what people were familar with when it came to the Battlefield games. They stuck with real WWII battles in BF: 1942/Weapons of Normandy/Road to Rome. They stuck with real Vietnam battles in BF: Vietnam. However they didn't want to recreate the same game over and over with just a few new modes. I mean, playing the Wake Island over and over would have gotten old. So what did they do? They Expanded even into battles that isn't known to us. Look at the success of Battlefield 2 and even its Expansion Pack: Special Forces. Those are all made up scenarios but guess what, people buy them like hot cakes. So if it worked for EA/DICE, why do LucasArts/Pandemic. What makes Battlefront so different?

20. darth_berryboy

darth_berryboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    Well if I am Lucas Arts, I would probably release KOTOR 3. Just for the simple fact that, that would allow them to have more time to change BF, and you figure, they have had tons of time to work on KOTOR 3.

For myself however, I would rather have BF 3. I have KOTOR and have played KOTOR 2 for multiple hours. RPG's get very boring to me after a while. At least with BF 3 you get to play multiplayer, which never seems the same.

On a side note, I would honestly rather see them continue on the same path as ROTS 3 game. Whether it be a fighter or another mission based game, based on a different time period in the Star Wars Universe with better multiplayer levels.

21. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Yeah, that is one of the more obvious differences between the two games. KOTOR games = Great Single Player experience while BF games = Great Multiplayer experience.

22. tallyoda

tallyoda Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2005
    Both would be really great games. BF and BF2 are awsome, but KOTOR kicks there butt any day. My vote is for KOTORIII

23. uwishuwereme

uwishuwereme Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 2005
    Definitely Kotor III,if KotoR ever got online play that would be awesome using your created player online on a console system, instead of having to play Galaxies on a PC.

24. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Me personally, I'd rather have BF3, but rather than adding new features such as a new playable character, or a new Hoth map, I'd like to see Sith Troopers and other KOTOR elements brought into the game. Sith vs. Jedi and ONLY those two can fight against eachother. But I'd still like to see my old favorites in there as well.

25. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    So in other words, you would like to see more EU be represented besides just the cliche Rebels/Empire/CIS/Republic?

If so, then I totally agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.