main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Battlefront: General Discussion [PS2 | XBox | PC]

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthJimmy2002, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJimmy2002

DarthJimmy2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    This just in from several rumor mills and from the newest Offical Playstation Magazine:

Star Wars: Imagine The Battle Of Hoth.. But everything on the battlefield has a real person behind it, playing online with his or her PS2. This may be a pie-in-the-sky idea, but there are strong rumors that a Battlefield 1942-esque game is in the works for PS2.

Im speechless. BEST. STAR WARS. GAME. EVER.

2. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    If it was on the PC :p

3. DarthJimmy2002

May 16, 2002
    They have a Star Wars mod for PC, but this would be a whole new game built ground up for PS2. I cant wait! I love you Lucasarts! I love you! LUCASARTS IS THE MOTHER OF ALL GAME COMPANYS! WE DONT DESERVE TO BASK IN LUCASARTS AMAZING PRESENCE! BOW BEFORE THE GREAT LUCASARTS!

(Yes, I know my tone has changed now, but its amazing how one game can do all that.. ;))

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I'd wait until you get any official word before getting too excited.

But if it's based on truth, that's great news.

5. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    yeah, it would be good, and i can see why they would go for ps2 rather than pc, given there are heaps of good fps that are online....must be a crowded market, pc people expect more that LF traditionally gives, whereas the same standard doesn't always exist for consoles

6. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I don't see how the PS2 would handle it that well anyway. I would think that the Xbox would be more ideally suited for a game like this - besides, PS2s are not internet enabled out of the box, and most of the time that type of thing prevents a mostly internet game from succeeding.

7. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Is this like SOCOM then?

8. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    If this is true than it would be blasphemous to give to the PS2. It would be butchered.

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    There will be no console bashing based on unsubstantiated rumour thanks very much.

The other consoles are well represented with new SW games. Get off the PS2's case, please.

10. bliv

bliv Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    If it comes to PS2 then you can bet that the PC will have it as well. You don't release a game of this caliber to such a small online market unless it's not of sufficient standard to compete with the mainline FPS games on PC. In otherwords if it isn't as good as Battlefield 1942. If there is money to be made (with Star Wars there usually is) then any such game will be on PC as well.

11. DarthJimmy2002

May 16, 2002
    What is with all the PS2 bashing in this topic? Anyways, how could the Xbox support this? Last I checked, Xbox Live only allows 16 People Max. Tribes Ariel Assult can allow 32 players online with PS2. So it is clearly suited that the PS2 should run this.

12. TitanTheo

TitanTheo Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2003
    I dont know. Just whem was the last time LA made a game for tyhe PS2> They havent, except for like a few kiddie ones. I dont know, it would be cool, but I think that Microsoft has made some sort of deal guaranteeing all LucasArts game on teh Xbox and NOT the PS2 for like a certain portion every year. Oh well, sounds fun if it happens.

13. bliv

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm not bashing the PS2. I'm just clearly stating common sense when it comes to making money from games.

14. DarthJimmy2002

May 16, 2002
    Its being done with PS2 with the User Base, and the Online plan:

Details:

1. More People Online With PS2 then With Xbox
    2. PS2 Online can support more then 16 Players, will Xbox can only support 16.

So, dont give me that Xbox is teh best! Ps2 suxxors! Lol! The fact is. Lucasarts is designing it for PS2, will it be on Xbox? Maybe, scaled down? Who knows. Nothing is for sure. Over and out.

15. bliv

Mar 23, 2002
    How about I give you the PC is the best....

16. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I am trying very hard not to start flaming all the PS2 vs. Xbox things and ranting about how the PC is better than them all. Just so you know.

On topic though, I think it might be better to wait till there's some official word on this rather than:

OMG this game will rulz0r on teh PS2!! I will be scaled down on Xbox I heare from mah sourcez in teh market.

Nevar, I liek teh xbox fore ti hsaz teh HAlO!1111111!!1!111!

^^^Mockery for ammusement. Don't take that seriously.

Seriously though, other than, "Hm, that's an interesting rumor. Looks like a promising game," which it is, has there been anymore word on this rumor? Because, it sounds pretty cool, and um.....yeah.

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    And I'm trying very hard not to start banning all the PS2 vs. Xbox posters, and those ranting about how the PC is better than them all. Just so you know.

(not you Aragorn!)

Now we have a rumoured PS2 game that sounds pretty interesting from the minimal info given.

If you don't have anything constructive to add to this discussion, don't push your post button. It's as simple as that.

18. DarthJimmy2002

May 16, 2002
    I'll be good...

19. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    I dont know. Just whem was the last time LA made a game for tyhe PS2>

I just have to respond to this. Bounty Hunter and Clone Wars. I don't care if Clone Wars did come out as a "better" version for X-Box. The point is that they still made it for PS2 as well.

And if LA needs Microsoft to make them deals to only release games on X-Box for a year, they have bigger problems.

Just to keep this OT, if this rumor turns out to be true, I think it'd be great. Interesting how we hear about it after Galactic Conquest comes out though. The only difference of course being that this will be for PS2 only (per the rumor). Once all the bugs are worked out of GC, I bet it'd give this game a run for its money, especially since I think BF1942 can handle up to 32 players online at a time.

Oh and for all you people saying this couldn't come to X-Box because you can only play 16 people at a time, so what? Most people that play on consoles have only ever done up to 4 at a time. 16 would be a dream for those people. Of course, the only reason X-Box can only do 16 is because their networking code is crap, same reason Halo for PC got delayed so long.

20. bliv

Mar 23, 2002
    Battlefield can handle 64 players on one server. Although most maps become unplayable with such a large number of players. 32 is the optimal number for quality fun.

21. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i would love to have a really good bf1942esque/ or goldeneyestyle star wars fps, i mean who wouldn't? i just am not sure if lf can pull it off, good luck to them

22. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Wow, Lucasarts(a.k.a, nimrod company) actually wants to make a game for PS2. And these little X-Box users are getting jealous cause the nimrods aren't going to give them more gold than they already have. I'll be happy if they do make this game, because currently if I had a choice to buy a single peanut or one of Lucasarts's PS2 games, I'd choose the peanut. Sad, but true. Remember PS2 users don't buy any of Lucasarts's current stupid products, they are a huge waist of money. Want a real game, buy the Devil May Cry. Now there's a game.

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    ^
    |
    wth has that got to do with this game? :mad:

Give it a rest. [face_plain]

24. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I find it funny how there's still a prevailing attidude that LEC is actively trying to screw their biggest market for console games :p

25. wesjanson1138

wesjanson1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    DJ, do you have any links to any informative websites on this? If this game does come out for PC as well as PS2 that would be awesome.

erthnite, I happen to like Lucasarts, and have wasted many happy hours playing JO and XWA, among others.

OM[lucasarts]!!!11111!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.