main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Battlefront: Hints, Tips, Strategies, Walkthroughs (no cheats allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Night4554, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    In the insueing chaos, my last official Battlefront thread. It's for those who want to skip the cheats and hacks, and discussion on strategies, tips, and level discussion.

¤Night

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Is evel discussion only for those siding with the Imperials?

:p

3. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
  4. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    That was totally supposed to be "level" :p

¤Night

5. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Okay, here's the first "official" post in here. I'm playing Historical Battles and I'm on taking back Yavin 4. For the bloody life of me I can't get through this level. Has anyone found the strategy for it yet?

I've tried taking all the upper levels then working my way into the courtyard. However, every time, I run out of men.

Then I tried to just get my butt in the courtyard so that we could have that advantage but my idiot troops can't seem to take the upper levels without me and we/I get overrun in the courtyard.

At this point I'm at a big frustration level with this game. I'm all for a little challenge, but when I can't get through the dang thing after playing the same level for 2 hours, the fun quotient is nill.

6. AcklayComeHome

AcklayComeHome Jedi Master star 7

Apr 27, 2002
    I didn't even go down into the courtyard on that level, I just stayed on a balcony thing overlooking it and sniped the bad guys down there and straight across(at their spawn points), and there were always a couple guys around to take care of the few enemies coming from the sides(most of the time).

7. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    You just sniped them? Really? Well, I'll give that a try. I just can't imagine that my troops will actually take any of the command posts without me leading the way. (They're not too bright. ;) ) Thanks.

8. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I usually just did the sniper thing too with the huge gun.

9. deadjedi_willbe

deadjedi_willbe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2003
    I passed the whole historical thing. All I gotta say is get the snipers, get high, and take people out. That ALWAYS worked for me. I just got the game about 6-7 hours ago. LOVE IT!!!! :)

10. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    Heres a tip for Rebs on the battle of Hoth: The key to winning this battle is of course taking down those AT-ATs with your snowspeeder and tow cable. This will take down the Imp's advantage in the battle and lower their reinforcement points. Don't try to blast it or do a suicide run into it. Believe me....that does NO damage to the AT-ATs. If your alone in the snowspeeder, try quickly switching to the gunner seat and firing off the tow cable then switching back to the driver seat and wrapping it around the walker's legs....veeery tricky but it can be done.

Thats my tip for today...

11. AcklayComeHome

Apr 27, 2002
    All I gotta say is get the snipers, get high, and take people out.

Hmmm, I'd think that second one would make the game more difficult to play... [face_thinking]

...but funner. :p

12. deadjedi_willbe

deadjedi_willbe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2003
    Hmmm, I'd think that second one would make the game more difficult to play... thinking
    ...but funner.

smartass... :p

13. PrelateZeratual

PrelateZeratual Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    Me and a friend had your exact same problem Kate, we would run to take the courtyard and or the upper level and our allies didnt seem to think it was a such a good plan and we ended up getting overrun. so we devised a nasty plan that is rather effective, one of us would play bait(usually me) and he would sit in some hidey hole and pick off just about everything that came my way, we took the courtyard in about 10 minutes, and even that was forever

14. Ewok15

Ewok15 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 1, 2002
    I was trying to install the game last night and on disc 3 it completly froze. I was reading a little bit from the lucasarts forum and some people were having same troubles. Anyone have it here and can someone tell me how I can get it to not freeze while installing??

15. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
  16. AcklayComeHome

Apr 27, 2002
    From the official site's planet descriptions:

Hoth is the sixth planet in the remote system of the same name. Despite a landscape of constant snow and ice, there are a number of indigenous life forms including the Wampa ice creature, and the Tauntaun.

So is the Wampa actually in the game? And has anybody found it yet?

17. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    One thing I've found is the manual is sorely lacking in explaining control for different units. You'll know what I mean the first time you use a droideka or jetpack trooper.
    Ok, so it only took me a minute to figure out how to do it but it should be in the manual!
    In case anyone else is struggling with these just double tap the logical button: forward or jump.
    Helpful hint: You can use enemy vehicles. I was having some trouble on the Naboo/Palace map. Happened to be next to the command post when a speeder spawned and took control of the post within 2 minutes.

18. ge_rpger

ge_rpger Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2004
    hehe, yeah it's all "intuitive"!!!

19. BJPE1

BJPE1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2004
    Geanosis help please :)

I am now on my 10th attempt at this map I am so frustraited I even tried playing on easy and I am still getting slaughtered anyone have any tips

first I tried moving about getting posts but would be moed down quick, next I tried working on enimy units to help reduce their numbers, and now am working on taking out units on foot and with any vehicle I can ride....

20. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I think the best strategy I have found is to always try and "wedge" your troopers into pockets of heavy resistance. Don't go off on your own, and if you are sniping, try sniping where your other troopers are meeting resistance, this helps them out, and saves your reinforcments.

But destroyer droids make me cry :( Is there anyway to take them out at all without a vehicle? When they have their sheilds up, I can't hit them at all. EMP grenades don't work half the time either. Does an EMP rifle work better?

21. JHC_JEDI

JHC_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    Me and a friend had your exact same problem Kate, we would run to take the courtyard and or the upper level and our allies didnt seem to think it was a such a good plan and we ended up getting overrun. so we devised a nasty plan that is rather effective, one of us would play bait(usually me) and he would sit in some hidey hole and pick off just about everything that came my way, we took the courtyard in about 10 minutes, and even that was forever

It took me a couple of tries to do this. I started as an Imperial Pilot and set up a turret on the rim. Then left the turret to a stormtrooper to man. Meanwhile I made my way down below and started taking out the rebels in the way. When I died, I again started up top, and lobbed grenades into the courtyard. Eventually I had cleard most of the rebels out, and made my way into the courtyard. After a couple of times I learned where the rebels like to hide in the grass, and even if you can't see them, your grenade will take them out if you know where they are.

22. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    Ok.. here goes... I'm playing single player Historical Campaigns on EZ... past the Battle of Geonosis and to the Battle of Endor respectively.

First and foremost - I've used the general soldier the VAST majority of the time. Between his grenades and his rapid-fire blaster, they make you very mobile. Strafe, run and avoid the middle of crossfire, large vehicles and grenades.

Kill a few guys around a team Pilot - they drop health.

Use tactical commands frequently. There is nothing wrong with the command "Hold position", frankly - this is the best way to keep them from running into a slaughter at times. Take out a few troops in a line, and then "Follow me." You may not notice results from the tactical commands, but I've noticed that my side just seems to do everything better when I communicate to them frequently. Also, the Jedi/Sith will sometimes decide they are taking a rest... the tactical commands will get them moving back to the action.

Snipers are good for levels where you can see the enemy approaching from a distance or get good angles. But start with them OR use them for specific places, you have to reload the clip just way too often to be effective against large numbers. IMO Mix them up.

The whole secret to this game is "Command Posts." Controlling them. And some are better than others. Remember, a team can only respawn at command posts they control. Sometimes, you can contain them to certain areas - allowing your soldiers to pin them down and slaughter them by the bushel. Also, some command posts are of EXTREME strategic importance.

Beyond command posts, look at the map. See where enemy movements are headed, where they're flank is, where they are respawning. Sometimes, the heavy activity around a command post signifies that it is important. Sometimes, you'll see posts left open for assault.

As for Hoth: The above poster was right. If you can take down the AT-ATs, then you'll win. Make sure you spawn in the hangar. But, I did not have to switch to co-pilot to fire my tow cable. Just fly slow around the legs and it should fire automatically.

As for Yavin level 1: To be honest, I wish I could help more. I just followed the above strategies and battled hard. I played as GI all the time on both levels of Yavin. I did capture the courtyard, and some key spots up top. I kept moving - that much is sure.

As for Geonosis: Capture the Spire ASAP. Then get Mace moving, and be sure to hold your original Command Posts. Move constantly. Forget the Techno Union ships - focus on taking out SuperBattleDroids and Droidekas. Also, follow Mace from time to time. You MUST protect the forward command post. If you control both the forward command post and the spire - you should achieve victory.

Let's say that I find the first level of Bespin to be the most trying. A royal pain. I racked as many as 53 kills once and still lost. The sniper is a great asset on this level. Choose the bottom (southern) command post to respawn, and go down the hall (perhaps on your belly) with troops in tow. Hold position and fight like heck to control the hallway. Once the smoke clears, waste no time in getting up off your tail and charging headlong. Take the Empire's command post in that southeast corner and hold at all costs. Then, immediately charge north through the halls and take the next command post in the northeast corner - which is a really really tough fight. IF you manage to capture both of them, and retain the original from which you started; each one is on the high ground many stories above the arena beneath you. From up top, your troops can easily defend any advance and snipe out troopers to your heart's content. That's the only way I've found past it.

As for Naboo2 and Kamino: Control the center southern command post. Fight off all advances in that direction viciously. If you can defend all entrance points and take out enough of their troops - you will eventually deplete them.

That's as good as I've got for now. Very little experi

23. AcklayComeHome

Apr 27, 2002
    For Geonosis, I spawn at the gunships, take one, and fly right to the ships you're supposed to destroy(although, having manned lasers helps ;) ). I can get one about halfway destroyed until either an enemy comes, or friendlies come, but they both come around the same time. When enemies come, just strafe and keep moving, but when they're not attacking, it's easy to just hover and blast away.

When those are blown up, stay in the gunship or get a new one if it's damaged, then go around to the lesser-defended enemy spawn points, blow the bad guys away, then land and conquer.

But that's just me. ;)

24. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    sounds good - i'll have to try that approach on Geonosis. I tried flying a Gunship and was so dumbfounded by it ... I could not get the hang of it. :p PS - don't ever climb out a ship in mid-flight, it is a very long drop.

25. Ewok15

Ewok15 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 1, 2002
    That would be a question for the Technical Help thread.

Sorry, didn't notice it. Thanks though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.