main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Okay, so, here's the downlow from the panel. The Inferno Squadron novel is a Prequel to the game that takes place directly post Rogue One. The game starts with the Battle of Endor with the DSII going boom, then follows the same characters in the book as they resolve to continue fighting for their Emperor even after his death, including joining the First Order. They'll be telling their story over the 30 year gap between RotJ and TFA.

There are also sub-minions scattered through the campaign where we jump to different times and eras to play as new heroes. There are a few, but the two they confirmed are a Luke level and a Kylo Ren level. No word on how/if they'll interact with the rest of the story, but it sounded like they will somehow.

The multi-player is entirely separate, more self-contained. There are maps that take place in each of the eras, like Kamino, Scarif, Takonada, etc, each of which will have their own soldier breakdown a la the old BF2 (clones v droids on Kamino, Resistance v First Order on Takonada, and so on). Classes are back, and can be upgraded and progressed with successive play, as can heroes. There are also space battles with capital ships as maps again.

Basically, take all of the features from the original BF2 and put them into the new Battlefront engine, and you're getting an idea of what the game looked like. But the campaign is definitely breaking new ground; they had people from Story Group up helping give the presentation and talked about how all of the varying pieces (DICE's writing team, Story Group, Christie Golden, the PC's actress) worked together on the story. It's an all-new story from a new perspective for this era.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2. Ben09

Ben09 Jedi Knight

Jun 18, 2016
    Yep, thank you-I remember now. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Ahh, that makes sense, I was wondering if the campaign would just be Endor, Jakku, maybe Takodana, and Starkiller. This info (plus this brand new "imperial utopia" planet) explains how they're padding it out adding more content. ;)

As MercenaryAce mentioned earlier, Takodana presents a problem for them since the ground battle was between Stormtroopers and pirates, not Stormtroopers and Resistence, so maybe it will be a "fly around as Poe Dameron" level?

4. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Okay so I watched the battlefront 2 trailer, what I was most caught off guard on was the special forces mention. I thought they were pilots for a moment, having similiar outfits.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Forces_(First_Order)

This is the first order version, very similiar to what we saw in the trailer. To my knowledge we haven't seen this galactic empire special forces we saw in this trailer. Now we know that the special forces of the first order wasn't something completely new, but had much of its design from the empire, like they had with regular stormtroopers aswell. Looks nice. I want to see more of special forces.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Stormtroopers operated under the oversight of the Army, but were in some ways a division of their own within the Imperial Military.

Special Forces may be the same but for the Navy.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010

Or Naomi Harris!

7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Young, but yes.

8. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Ahh yes, the old "Stormtroopers are a small, elite, part of the Imperial Army, despite being the most common type of Imperial foot soldier seen and often lacking in competence" idea.

Vthuil likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We've seen "biker army troopers" in Rebels, as well as "biker stormtroopers" (that is, scout troopers).

Not a huge stretch, to think that "army footsoldiers" that aren't stormtroopers exist too.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  10. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    In the old EU that's exactly what the case was, for a while, at least. And I much preferred that version.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, there is elite and there is elite - I always more pictured them to be the Empire's version of the Marine Corps rather than the Navy Seals or Delta Force or something.

Still, even in the films, there were clearly those black uniformed, less armored imperial soldiers who were often doing the grunt work, and based off Han's distinction between big Corellian ships and the local bulk cruisers, there is clearly a difference between what the Empire's best troops - which are what we see most likely given the importance of their assignments* - and what the locals have.

I mean sure, we don't seem them often because people working in star wars like to show off the most iconic stuff, but I more blame them than the people who suggested that there might be a lower tier than stormies.**

* I mean, if the empire really does have 50 or so varieties of super omega death commando troopers that are better than regular stormies, why aren't they boarding the corvette to retrieve the death star plans, capturing the Falcon, or otherwise doing important jobs for the empire?

**Course, in my rpg I sort combine both and just make that regular imperial army grunts really, really, really suck.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Well, they can still be the same force.

Take the Marine Corps as an example. Your typical Marine Security Guard (think the Marines at a US Embassy) is not going about his day loaded out like a Marine 03XX (Infantry MOS category), yet both may be armed on duty.

Since the EU more or less dispensed with the separate Imperial Army and Stormtrooper Corps, I've thought of the guys in black as more like Marine Security Guards. We routinely see them in roles guarding things (the doors to the bridge of a vessel, the control room of the shield generator, etc.), while those with full body armor, helmets, rifles, etc. are engaged in patrols, raids, open combat, etc.

MercenaryAce and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    So, going by the trailer, and what I've seen posted, Inferno Squad is a combo Spec-ops/Starfighter unit?

Guess that makes them the Imperial equivalent of Wraith Squadron. I can dig that. [face_thinking]

Kylun, Sinrebirth and Iron_lord like this.
  14. ToilesHeroiques

ToilesHeroiques Jedi Master

Apr 28, 2010
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/15/battlefront-2-single-player-preview

Link with Star Wars Propaganda : A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy ? :)

15. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    One way to feed Inferno Squad some wins that won't interfere with the Empire's general destruction? Imperial infighting, which we know was happening, and where they can kill some of their own erstwhile allies, possibly under direct orders of the Sentinel. Maybe Inferno is supposed to act as the Emperor's posthumous enforcers, killing anyone assigned to them by Rax.

And of course, they can accomplish tactical objectives in planet-wide battles while the larger Imperial forces lose stargtegic objectives.

One thing I would be interested in seeing is some Imperial character who starts out allied to Inferno post-Endor and is part of the Resistance by TFA. Someone to serve as a foil to highlight out protagonist's status as a tragic villain by correctly assessing the Empire's defeat as a good thing.

16. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I didn't notice this until just now. On the bottom poster we see some Massassi temples which to me seems like perhaps a throwback to original Battlefront with maybe the Evacuation of Yavin

17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Special Forces can't just be thrown into battle like common grunts. The Scarif situation took the Empire off guard; Vader likely had no special forces on hand. Commandoes aren't reactionary forces: They're assigned key missions and need prep time. Boarding operations are generally handled by marines--unless the operation was planned in advance; Tantive IV was not. Special Forces are an essential part of the Imperial Military. They might not have appeared in the films, but that's 'cause they had no place. They have appeared in the EU, but generally in appropriate times.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  18. Sith Iratus

Sith Iratus Jedi Master

Nov 24, 2012
    Christmas came early this year for me,as a fan of the Darkside and all things Empire/FO this is what i have been waiting for.
    The BF2 trailer blew TLJ trailer out of the water for me personally.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    This is so cool to me. This is exactly what I wanted from the first game, and this appears to be exactly the shooter game I want from the franchise in the state it's in. It integrates era-specific canon content, gives us a single player story to follow, fully embodies the entire Star Wars timeline and is really trying to pay homage to the original Battlefront series rather than very much hewing to a more traditional shooter.

In short, they're embracing the universe the game is set in, which is something they should absolutely take advantage of. Looking very much forward to it.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I really, really want to see the FO in the Unknown Regions. Really, really, really.

Oh! What if we arrive in the UR and find Separatists already hiding there planning their revenge!
    Thrawn mentioned Nemoidians out there(!)

Minor Thrawn spoiler above...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The trailer was so great! Besides the stuff we already saw it showed some cool new elements. My opinions:
    -Love the special forces! The part where the commando says "That's the point, sergeant." felt like it was taken straight out of RepCom. The guy even sounded like Three Eight.
    -You can shoot while riding tauntans. Not huge, but an improvement.
    -It seems they have confirmed classes. Interesting, since jetpacks appear in the trailer. Assuming there isn't a Jet Trooper class I expect we'll get a great deal of customizability.
    -I don't like the NuCanon, but I just love how unified it is. Seeing the Shattered Empire references was thrilling.
    -Not to be negative, but I hate that the PC will join the FO. In my optimistic opinion, no true Imperial would ever join the First Order. I'm psyched to be playing the Empire, but I have no anticipation to play a bunch of nut job extremists wearing Apple-designed armor.
    -Why does the PC not have a sealed helmet. She's a gosh dang SpecForce commander, but she doesn't have a sealed helmet. Madness!
    -I'm so glad they're keeping Scarif. I've had enough of the DLC crap.
    -The space battles look great. I can't wait to see how they handle boarding. I have ideas but they wouldn't fit here.
    -Still no Clone Wars footage! I'm sur they'll get it right. My only fear is that it will focus on TCW. I would prefer it focus on RotS, like BF2.
    -It's amazing that the campaign will fill out major events in the timeline. Historically, SW games have never covered important events. It's nice to have an important video game this time.
    -Naboo is a map, it seems. I hope it's a hero-exclusive map. I don't like Naboo, and as far as I remember no CW battle took place there.
    -I sure hope the planets, heroes, weapons and skins of the current game transfer to the new one. It seems like a no-brainer. Unless they want to lock old content behind a pay wall.
    -There's plenty more things I want to see, but they've already confirmed so much I've wanted.

Daneira and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    I'm surprised no one mentioned this With the campaign following The Empire/The First Order Any one thinks the Massacre at Luke Jedi Academy will be a part of the Campaign

23. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    My take is:

1. Stormtroopers=Marines

2. Deathtroopers=Special Forces.

Before it was them as the Imperial Storm Commandos.

I.e. The guys in Black Armor of Legends.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  24. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Okay so apparently

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Special_Forces

They are elite TIE fighter pilots. Is that true? It's kind of odd, I'd hoped that they were just regular special forces and nothing else. SCAR, Storm commandos, etc for instance are special forces.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Don't forget that information originating from the SWCO panels is hard to verify. That particular piece of information is probably based on the fact the Inferno Squad were described as special forces and seen flying TIEs. Whether this is merely an interpretation or not... time will tell.