main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    Is he? I don't recall any particular moments from the films that convey that idea.

The closet might be the Yoda/Palpatine duel from ROTS, when he snarls that Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of them. But even that doesn't indicate that he sees Vader as a successor - just an extremely potent servant to carry out his will.

JediBatman and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  2. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Jello may be thinking of "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy" from ROTS. But then again, when it came to ROTJ, Palpatine would say to Luke "You, like your father, are now mine." Which isn't implying that he sees either as Sith ready to take over and continue that rule.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  3. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    I'm pretty sure that Palpatine regards the Sith the same way he used to regard the Senate.

Le Sith, c'est moi.

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    So I didn't know where to talk about this but this game more than any other media has done a great job of showing us how the whole anti-Jedi-propaganda thing operated. I was also just so moved by the treatment of Del's realization and awe at who the Jedi are, and...it's also one of the only depictions of regular-people religion that seems credible and human. It's strongly implied that Del is in with Lor San Tekka. Kylo Ren says it: "You found faith." It's sorta...beautiful?

Do go on.

Cynda, Mia Mesharad, J_K_DART and 3 others like this.
  5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    There's nothing more to add beyond you've already said, really.

"I was also just so moved by the treatment of Del's realization and awe at who the Jedi are, and...it's also one of the only depictions of regular-people religion that seems credible and human. It's strongly implied that Del is in with Lor San Tekka. Kylo Ren says it: "You found faith." It's sorta...beautiful?"

I was struck by the same thing and thus immediately thought it was a pity Del couldn't have been Lor San, directly, recontextualizing the opening of TFA. Or, to put it another way, after BFII I wish the film opened with Del on Jakku instead. Especially given his connection to both Luke and the planet.

By "next best thing" I mean "Well, he might not be Lor San, but he's still filling the same general role and is a stop on Kylo's hunt for Skywalker"

6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Interesting. I actually find it kind of nice to expand the Church of the Force, but I understand the appeal of complicated Lor San's backstory.[/spoiler[

7. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah I get it, you don't want a small galaxy and all that. I just love that meeting with Luke so much and the impact it had on him.

8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'd be interested in Del's journey of faith. Those intervening years seem fascinating. Is Iden sold on it, too? How did he seek out the Church of the Force? Who is their kid?

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I haven't finished the campaign yet, but I gotta say, the more DUROS the better. I'll confess, for a brief moment I thought to myself "Please be Admiral Voon Massa", but I am incredibly happy with Shriv. [face_love]

--Adm. Nick

10. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I love Shriv so much.

BobaMatt - I wonder if we aren't going to see a bit of that in the story expansion in December.

AusStig and spicer like this.
  11. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Throughout much of the playthrough I watched I thought the Duros in the game was meant to be L'ulo. I didn't find out what his exact name was until close to the end of the game.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I want a Shriv & Lando TV series.

13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    You know, I'm fine with the PTB recasting the iconic characters as and when they need to in film... but I really hope that the games, at least, keep using the original likenesses, regardless.

14. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    It bothers me that he doesn't sound Duros though. His voice has no added modulation like Duros usually do

Like this, and most obvious with Cad Bane's voice.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    When you say usually do you have more examples or is it just Cad Bane and that one battlefront voice? I actually can't remember many instances of Duros speaking.

16. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    The Cantina in A New Hope. The Duros speaking has a slight electronic effect, like Greedo.

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I should have realised there was one Duros there to-

Okay, I've probably done enough of that.

18. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Welp, after this disaster of a campaign that even anti-Empire Charlemagne19 agrees goes a bit too far, I don't really need to go far into Imperial apologism. I only have one counter to people who have a dislike for the Empire in the new canon - horrid writing.

Axrendale and AusStig like this.
  19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Actually the problems with the game have nothing to do with how they described the Empire. It's the fact that the main characters in the game were paper thin.

Axrendale likes this.
  20. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    I'd say it's a mix of both. Operation Cinder is so mind-numbingly stupid that the EAfront2 storyline only reminded me of how stupid it was when I first heard of it. No, not that Sheev couldn't have ordered it, but that Imperial officers went through with it WITHOUT QUESTIONING IT IN A SINGLE BIT. NO ONE questioned it, there was no disagreement, no Imperial Civil War. Nope. Evil Imperials in Empire Good Rebels in New Republic, and that's that.

Axrendale and AusStig like this.
  21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wut.

1. The Emperor kept the specifics of the actual operation under lock and key via the hologram droids. Most Imperials wouldn't actually understand what was happening, with Iden and Inferno Squad being exceptions due to their direct connection to Admiral Versio.

2. Where did you get that no one questioned it? I mean, we've seen numerous Imperials defect during the period between RotJ and Jakku. Hell, know that two admirals surrendered whole Super Star Destroyers some time post-Endor.

22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well you obviously are throwing a bunch of hyperbole out there if you are trying to say nobody questioned it. We have characters within this very game that questioned it. Their motivations may not have been developed very well but they still did the exact same thing you are trying to say characters didn't do in this new canon. And as Outsourced said we have had Imperial characters defecting on a regular basis since canon started. Trying to say that nobody is questioning the Emperor's demands is just silly.

23. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    Yeah, defect to the Rebellion/NR. For what purpose? It makes absolutely no sense that they wouldn't just go full Warlord mode and refuse to have anything to do with the former Rebellion.

AusStig likes this.
  24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    That's literally the basis for large portions of the Aftermath Trilogy. The first book is bringing together three prominent imperials who are actively not working together, the second book starts with a Vice Admiral hiding with a crime lord and a Warlord preceding over Kashyyk. Coruscant is basically under control of just the ISB. The Entire Anoat sector is cordoned off by the Iron Blockade. We have mentions across the new canon of various Imperials carving out their own territory.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  25. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    By the time of Bloodline, they're non-existent