main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011

Though there's probably no way to know for certain with the information available to us, I wouldn't put it past the Emperor to delegate different Imperial secrets across his various intermediaries depending on their responsibilities (as opposed to keeping any single official, like Amedda, in the "know" of the Empire's future).

For Palpatine to tell Amedda that he wanted to destroy the Empire in the event of his death, he would have to admit, too, that there was no hope for Amedda to ever be in the line of succession as Emperor. We don't know if becoming Emperor was ever an ultimate goal for Amedda, but we know from Jason Fry that Tarkin eyed the Imperial throne and from Empire that Vader believed he and Luke could defeat the Emperor, so I think it's safe to assume that most of the Emperor's closest intermediaries were gunning for the ultimate prize. Given they all wanted more power, it was probably in the Emperor's interests to keep Tarkin, Amedda, and Vader in the dark about the Contingency because that way they would continue to run the Empire as if they might someday run it themselves, whereas telling Amedda about the Contingency might shift his focus away from rivalry with other Imperial intermediaries and towards sabotaging the Emperor's plan. Amedda's ignorance of the Contingency would explain his behavior after Endor, too.

It also makes sense that Palpatine would pluck out one intermediary whose avenue to power could also be dependent on the success of the Contingency: Rax, who otherwise had no power-base to rise through the ranks, was dependent on the Emperor's survival to maintain a position in the Empire, and after Endor had reason to fulfill the Empire's destruction (namely that his only claim to power was that he alone was designated to carry out the Contingency). Of course, it didn't work out entirely as the Emperor had planned, but keeping Rax around for that one purpose was about as close as Palpatine could get to ensuring the Contingency was carried out. (Palpatine's selection of Rax might be inspired by the manner in which old Persian empires and later the Ottoman Empire would take eunuchs or slaves and promote them to high government positions so they could have personal dependence on the sultan/shah's survival.)

By splitting governing responsibilities to various political and military hierarchies and keeping them in the dark about their rivals and the future of the Empire, Palpatine could keep his various officials, like Vader, Amedda, Tarkin, or anybody on the Ruling Council, from becoming too powerful. Simultaneously, Palpatine could keep his intermediaries dependent on him, because he was the only one who knew everything. Likewise, Palpatine probably only gave Rax knowledge related to the Contingency. Palpatine engineered a system in which all of his intermediaries wanted the Emperor's favor through devout loyalty and success, while they all secretly plotted against him—and each other—to take it over for themselves. I think the Emperor did actually plan on destroying the Empire after his death, and Amedda was too entrenched in the Imperial system to be trusted with that knowledge.

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

I love Darth Sidious as a character, but I have to agree with Nick over GrandAdmiralJello on this. It's totally believable to me that Palpatine would have a contingency plan in place to burn the Galaxy down if he was ever killed.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I view Amedda as basically Smithers. I think Palpatine was fine with him as a servant but kept some details from him because they would be too depressing. The fact he and other Imperials would be buried alive with him was probably one of them.

[​IMG]

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We have Amedda's POV in EE to assist here. He never wanted to replace Palpatine. He knew his skills were in administration, not leadership. He desperately wished Palpatine were still around to continue his project.

That's not the monologue of a man gunning for the throne. Amedda really seems to have been nothing but a faithful servant. (Like Ars Dangor in Legends, who was noted to have been rare among the Empire's top echelons not to have any ambitions beyond simply serving his master.)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I imagine Mas Amedda assumed Palpatine was either immortal, would be long lived, or would adopt a successor.

I doubt he imagined it would led to a End of the Empire the way it did.

Or even Gallius Rax who thought Amedda was a toady.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And Rax was a tool, in more than one way.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay moving on.

Leia announced as playable hero. She was the best hero in BF1 so this is great, but given that her inclusion is obvious that's not what I'm posting here for.

What I'm posting this news for is that the video has her wearing the outfit seen in the last story trailer, which has her on Naboo. It's the outfit she wears in the Princess Leia miniseries and more importantly, in Shattered Empire (slight shading differences).

This all but confirms for me that we will play as Leia on Naboo during the events of Shattered Empire and Operation Cinder. They even have N-1s in the game, after all.

Will we see Shara Bey and Queen Soruna too? I dare not hope but it's possible!

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/922538222562902016

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MercenaryAce, Giovs, Daneira and 5 others like this.
  8. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Thing is, this will likely allow a multiplayer game scenario where Leia, in this outfit, actually can come up against Maul.
    [​IMG]

9. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Just got the Inferno Squad novel.
    Can't start reading it rigth now, but I hope I can finish it before the game arrives!
    Really excited for the campaing, I've been wanting to learn more of Operation Cinder since I've read Shattered Empire back in 2015.

10. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    I want so badly for Gungans to become available as playable characters. That would be amazing.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Regarding Amedda, in ROTS doesn't he watch Master Yoda walk into Palpatine's office, knock out two Royal Guards, talk about killing the Emperor, get zapped across the room by Palpatine, and then them get into a fight that trashes the Senate, without even seeming disturbed, let alone shocked? Amedda also doesn't seem that confused at Palpatine having a Sith Lord who he sends to kill the Separatists, or that upset at the killing of the Jedi. I always figured that scene was kind of telling about what kind of knowledge Amedda had of Palpatine.

If anything, I think you can read into TPM that Amedda was, like the Neimoidians, one of the people that Sidious had recruited prior to the movie, in this case to help undermine Valorum from within his administration.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Exactly. He's one of Palpatine's oldest associates and knows many things about him that others didn't.

If the Emperor had wanted to burn it all down, Amedda would know. Instead, Amedda was trying to preserve his master's creation.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Battlefront II early access for Deluxe Edition and EA Access starts a week from tomorrow -- please remember to use spoiler tags for ALL spoilers, as not everyone will have early access or be able to finish the campaign quickly.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I think there is a clear distinction between what Palpatine intended, what Rax intended, what Sloane intended, and what Snoke ended up doing.

The First Order of Cardinal’s flashbacks was on its way to becoming what Snoke wanted it to be. Whatever groundwork that Sloane lay was subverted. I’d be inclined to suggest that wherever Rax intended for the Empire’s successor state is what Snoke encouraged, but its shameless speculation at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think people have a little TOO much of an idea the First Order has a continuity of government from the Empire and Emperor.

Whatever Rax intended, he contributed NOTHING but a few recall orders to the First Order.

It begins with Sloane and moves to Snoke.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Revanfan1 and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  17. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Well, safe to say that she won't be defecting to the New Republic....

Dr. Steve Brule and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I think it's safe to conclude the campaign would mostly be Endor to Jakku with an FO post script. The real FO stuff has to be this story continuation thing.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006

Hate to be "that guy" but the site says:

"Iden Versio returns. In Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II Resurrection, you’ll join Commander Iden Versio during the days of the First Order’s rise to power." It doesn't actually *say* she's part of the FO, just that you're playing as her in the early days of it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be more interesting if she *doesn't* defect (and the wording is vague enough to allow it), I'm just jaded enough to think they won't do that and go with the traditional "Imperial defector" storyline instead.

And don't get me started on how they've already announced DLC before the game's even out (though that's a separate issue).

20. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Lame. Why not just include the entire story right from the get-go, instead of using DLC.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not DLC, it's free. All new characters, maps, ships, and missions are free.

EA was justifiably chewed out for their season pass shenanigans last time and they look like they've (for now) learned their lesson.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    It's DLC. And it's free. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    DLC almost exclusively refers to paid additional content for a game. The "DL" part isn't literal--especially not in an age of mass digital distribution.

It's free added content and people are complaining about it.

When did this forum become such a hive of bitterness and resentment?

People are complaining about:

1. Free additional content
    2. Promotion of free additional content.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

JoeBiWanKenobi likes this.
  24. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    How was I complaining? I was simply stating that DLC can be free and it's still considered DLC...
    Where was my bitterness and resentment? I'm really excited for Battlefront II and all of the updates that will come with it.
    Also please don't run off to Twitter saying "People at TFN complaining about getting free stuff. I guess they’ll complain about literally anything." That's really not cool of you. Especially when I wasn't complaining.

revan772 and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  25. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    I think that's awesome! It looks like there's already going to be immersive and expansive multiplayer and single player content at launch, and then just a few weeks later to coincide with TLJ, even more content (characters, maps, and CAMPAIGN LEVELS at no extra charge)! If the complaint is that you'll have to go through the process of doing additional downloads to play the material (for free) ... umm, don't you guys sleep? Or eat?

This is really cool. I hope they learned from some of the frustrations of BF1 and make the locations in the expansions available in a single-player iteration as well. It's frustrating that I can almost never actually connect to enough people to start a match in Bespin, Scariff, Jabba's Palace, or the Death Star, even though I have that content. I'd love to just log in and play around on Bespin or Scarif, but the mechanics make it impossible.

But it seems like in every category I can think of, EA heard our moans and complaints, and are genuinely trying to give us the great experience we want to pay for. I look forward to it!