main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Downloaded the game this afternoon and am partway through the Fondor mission. Loving much of the game, but as someone who played TIE Fighter fairly recently, the space battle portions are really annoying me. I loved the Rogue Squadron games too, but something just doesn't feel right to me. The controls feel clunky and it's hard to target anything, plus there's no radar so I'm having trouble figuring out where my target is. Hopefully I'll get more used to it over time.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Try messing with the controls in the options menu. There is a Southpaw option that people say is preferable when flying. I've gotten pretty decent with the normal controls, so I don't mind the flying too much. It's something you just have to get used to.

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Something I hadn't noticed before is the look of the Empire's special forces appears to be inspired by the look of the FO's special forces.

4. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    So...definitely not buying this. Not any time soon anyway. I was really planning on it, too, until all the **** hit the fan.
    Too bad, YouTube'd the movie version and it's actually a pretty legit story. Kind of a little rushed, maybe too much time-skipping to keep you at maximum pew-pew-pew at all times, but still pretty great overall and really works with everything else that's out. Rebels, Uprising, Aftermath--lots of good little continuity nods. Good character work, acting's on point (Janina Gavankar <3 <3), graphics are excellent, the Empire's the worst...
    It's a shame EA's shenanigans basically rendered the game DOA.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think it's one to wait on. EA have already done some very fast reverses, who knows what else they'll do to get out of this self-inflicted Sarlacc Pit?

In that respect, it's been a remarkable few days as it's often thought posting on the internet does nothing, but in this case that wasn't true.

I'm quite certain there's a load of gamers who would like to buy this but don't wish to endorse all the dodgy crap EA pulled with it. If all the crap is removed - instant sales.

The tragedy of this is that there was no way for this game to fail, except by EA being incredibly greedy for cash.

6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    FTFY.

It seems to me that EA made the decision to get rid of payment for crystals to convince people to buy the game on opening day. It did well to bury any other narrative for a while but publications still commented on the fact that the changes were only temporary.

Kev-Mas_Colcha and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Finally finished.

So I feel Iden and Del defected way to fast. I buy Iden having her own world destroyed would make her be annoyed, but her outrage seems a bit under explored. Like it's almost like in the moment she is outraged at the idea that the empire does bad things. Even Ciena knew the Empire committed atrocities and she disagreed yet stayed. I am not against the defection just felt it was not talked about enough and was too sudden. Also should have had more time with Hask as a team mate.

The rest of the game is really fun though, Having watched the history of Operation Cinder and the battle of Jakku grow in canon this was really satisfying. Hearing Rax and Sloane said out loud was amazing. Also loved Luke's characterization here. Oh and I just finished Lost Stars a while back so hearing Kendy and Thane get name drops was so great. One thing though did every major Jakku reference need to be back to back? We get the Star Hawks engaging the Ravager, the the Phantoms are mentioned, then I think an Observatory reference, then the Lost Stars crash. Bit packed there is all. Also if we are gonna have everything get a name drop over comms why not have Ackbar's all comms warning over the Ravager going down?

I liked that we got to see Hask again and that ending was really fun. Not a fan of Iden and Del's romance, way to fast and did not buy it. Maybe I would if I read Inferno Squad but still

Oh and this was way to fast. Took me exactly 4 hours and 41 minutes to beat which is not nearly enough content. Hopefully the third game has an 8 or 10 hour story

Jedi Jessy, SilentGuy66 and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah. Been watching a couple of vids that emphasised that buried detail.

What EA haven't grasped is people don't like the randomised progression - even IGN just slagged that mechanic.

Kev-Mas_Colcha and vncredleader like this.
  9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Except everything they've said indicates that they're changing the system....

Lol. Dead on arrival how? I'm playing and enjoying it, as are most people who have bought the game.

Taalcon likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh, oh, oh I have a bridge to sell you. BRB.

Sinrebirth , Contessa and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't really think the game deserves to be treated as DOA in technical terms. That said, I'm sure as hell not giving EA any money, so it's kind of a moot point.

mnjedi and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    Loved the story campaign. Really liked characters, the story itself, the mission design and the cutscenes. All the references to the comics & novels were pretty neat.

I just think the campaign was a bit too short and the defection came way too early. I wish there would have been one or two more missions at the beginning on the Imperial side, before Iden & Del defect to the rebels.

AusStig and vncredleader like this.
  13. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Are people really so surprised that someone with gross political views switches sides when their grossness now negatively affects them? Does no one remember Dick Cheney?

I guess it's pretty explicit, but Inferno Squad works under the ISB, right? The only seem to take orders from Papa Versio, who is a white tunic. This would still provide flexibility for other Imperial Special Forces to have radically different kit.

14. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    JediBatman likes this.
  15. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Not done with the game yet, I just hit the time jump after Naboo, but I want to post my thoughts so far.
    This is a beautiful, well acted game, but I'm disappointed how quickly Iden joined the Rebellion. So much of the marketing was based around how you'd be playing as the Empire, yet I find myself shooting Stormtroopers by the third mission. We don't get enough of Iden's backstory to be emotionally affected by her turn away from the Rebellion (though admittedly I haven't read the book yet) and it just doesn't feel earned.
    It also feels kinda ridiculous to me that she was seemingly fine with the Empire's destruction of planets, genocide, enslavement etc but seeing a few citizens in danger on an Imperial world suddenly makes her go AWOL. I was really hoping this game would give a different perspective and more nuance to the Empire, but that doesn't seem likely with how the story is going so far.
    I'm having a good time nonetheless, and I love all the little nods to other parts of the continuity, but mostly this has just whet my appetite for a much deeper game. I want to be able to spend time in these environments, instead of rushing through them, and I want to interact with people in other ways besides just shooting them. I guess my dream SW game would be something like Mass Effect in the Star Wars universe, with starfighter combat thrown in. With the recent news about Visceral, I have a feeling I'm gonna have to wait quite a while for anything with more depth.

AusStig likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    While I think Inferno Squad is worth reading, in this respect, neither do I think it helps.

The only way I can see the game making that plot twist work is by inserting a couple more missions, which I suppose could happen.

smisk likes this.
  17. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Kev-Mas_Colcha, AusStig and Ghost like this.
  18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "What is thy bidding, Bob Iger?"

Kev-Mas_Colcha, AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    No one wants a 1 million ticked off gamers gnashing their teeth against Star Wars right before The Last Jedi. :)

20. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    So, I have a little multiplayer-oriented question... Why are there chickens running around on Takodana?? This seems like such an odd inclusion. (The various wildlife running around on Yavin - not of earth origin - is really cool, though.)

I have to say that while there are definitely issues with the progression system in the game, I am still immensely enjoying it. My biggest issue with the game right now, honestly, is that they only allow rebels/resistance characters to be human. I miss playing as my Quarren from the first game and it feels a little less like the gffa when literally everyone on the map is always human.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Disney will, however, have to keep an eye on their corporate minion:

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  22. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Yeah that's a little disappointing. I'm hoping it's something they'll patch in later.

23. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Really enjoying this. Playing it with my almost 8yo daughter, who is totally invested. She loved Iden and Del. It's such a cool way to get non adult novel readers invested and immersed in the key events of the Endor- Jakku storyline. Really feels like the whole post-RotJ story is the perfection of the Shadows of the Empire multimedia concept. Lets each media define it's own elements over time, but then has a game to tie them all together but from another perspective.

Plus the pew pew and lightsaber and ship action is a blast. I Don't know about the experience for hardcore FPS gamers, but It's a super fun family experience.

Sinrebirth and shafty like this.
  24. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    In theory, it was more hard on crime and corruption, and really it was an improvement over the Old Republic standard. Not that that's saying much, mind you. They still very obviously cooperated with the Hutts and Black Sun, which is why I'd like to see the FO go against them for a change as I've said before. It's one way to win support among the regular populace of the Galaxy, since we don't see much of their PR work, and they must have some if so many people outside of the original exodus Imperials joined them.

They don't target the in-group though. Totalitarian regimes tend to target those that directly oppose the ruling ideology. And even they do target 'fellow ideologues', it's usually the leader feeling threatened by someone else having too much power. Even in the Nero Directive that was brought up before, Hitler aimed to destroy Paris, not any German city. The German elements targeted were infrastructure such as roads to prevent an Allied advance. There may have been some insane warlords of ancient times, but those aren't long-lasting regimes. Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union were ruthless totalitarian states for sure, but they were smart. Which is my point, how should we feel in any way threatened by the Empire's evil if they're just Saturday Morning Cartoon villains taken down by a few A-Wings? Or are so ridiculously stupid that they target their own support base?

AusStig likes this.
  25. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

Especially when just two weeks ago Disney already get attention because of LA Times's publications about Anaheim (and Disney banning journalists made it worse).

Every week Bob Iger is probably like
    [​IMG]

Kev-Mas_Colcha and AusStig like this.