main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    To be fair, while "humane" isn't a word I associate with the Imperial military either, that right there sounds too crazy even for the First Order...

JediBatman and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Imperial training, as featured in The Making of Baron Fel, seems quite fine to me. Looks like what you would expect from any respectable military. What's really inhumane is the Kaminoan training that operated under the Republic. Sending children into live-fire excercises is inexcusable.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA gaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh I didn't read this one before! Did this dude just round up some random folks on Tatooine and start stripping and giving this crazyman speech? He would have more luck with the Jawas - they'd kill for that tech.

Also -- this IS Tatooine, right? What would Tour Aryon and Eugene Talmont have to say to this? Good grief...

4. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Oh, QFT. The Kaminoans (by and large) suffered from the disease of regarding other life-forms as product. [face_plain]

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

To be fair, in canon, that seems to be no longer the case. The training exercises we see all use dummy rounds. Otherwise Droidbait would've been dead straight out of the tube. [face_laugh]

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not sure that I understand your complaint. Military schooling is extremely common.

JediBatman likes this.
  7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    It's a way to instill disciple in a child. Especially if they're "difficult" children and the school is more than three hours away from home.

On TV we saw it on Malcolm in the Middle and that one episode of The Simpsons.

How many poor kids were forced into the Imperial Military because their parent's caught them smoking a space doobie? It would explain their collapse...

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

MercenaryAce and JediBatman like this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Or because their parents saw it as a quick method of social advancement, or an esteemed career?

9. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I don't know. The training shown in Rebels looked really dangerous. You fall from the top of the pit and your so dead.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

You'd have to be super clumsy to miss every single floating box on the way down and actually hit the floor. Broken bones? Oh yeah. But I don't think anyone probably dies from that. They'd have to clash into several boxes on the way down before they got to the floor, which would hypothetically slow the descent enough that hitting the floor would not kill you.

Guess that doesn't sound any better, though. [face_laugh]

Daneira likes this.
  11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I always liked to think this was how *some* Stormtrooper legions were marshaled. I mean, they'd be the minority (by a lot), but it's really not hard to see the Empire doing this for penal brigades or when the need some local canon fodder. And I like the extra chaotic factor it adds to the Stormtrooper legions; some are elite and fully blooded veterans like the 501st, some are more genteel outputs of core worlds, some are just regular troops, and some are cut throats.

MrDarth0 and JediBatman like this.
  12. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I should probably clarify that I was half joking when I posted those panels from "Trooper". I can definitely see the Empire's recruitment and training being brutal, but even for an uncaring dictatorship, "kill all the other candidates" is a bit too over the top, not to mention wasteful. Even if the Empire doesn't believe in the sanctity of life, they should at least care about all the manpower going to waste. (It gets worse later in the comic, while every real world army is all about promoting teamwork and camaraderie amongst its troops, the Imperial philosophy is apparently "Leave your fellows to die! Even if it's just a training exercise!")

Although I do like godisawesome's idea of it applying to penal legions. After all it's a big galaxy, different academies probably have different standards.

But the original post was about the academies shown in Rebels being inhumane. It would be one thing if they were actually sending the kids into real combat, but to me it just seems like the Star Wars galaxy's equivalent of Military School.

13. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    To be fair, they only considered life forms that they themselves had created, to be their products.

14. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Any chance this game might show us a Nadiri Mark One Starhawk Battleship used after the Battle of Endor? After part of the game takes place during the Battle of Jakku, right?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So I guess you like Starkhawks :p

16. Darth_Lilapso

Jun 25, 2007
    Well I do if they are nicely angular and do not have organic lumpiness like those ugly Mon Cal 'Flying Pickles'. The way the Starhawks are described gives me hope that the New Galactic Republic finally got a capitol ship that is nicely razor sharp and angular in design. After all Starhawks are built with Imperial spacecraft parts. So yeah I'm hoping that we get a good image of these Starhawk battleships before they show up in Episode VIII or Episode IX.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    lol, I was going to say that you would get along with AdmiralNick22 because of the Starhawk interest -- although now that you've described Mon Cal cruisers as ugly pickles, perhaps not!

It's okay though, I agree with you that Imperial starships look much better than those hideous lumpy ships. :)

Nickname320 and Daneira like this.
  18. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, he's had some weird fixation as long as I can remember on Mon Cal ships being ugly and wanting as many non-Mon Cal Rebel/Republic capital ships as possible to make up for it.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm just gonna abuse my Modly powers and ban him. :p

--Adm. Nick

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  20. Darth_Lilapso

Jun 25, 2007
    It's not just Star Wars either. I hate the organic lumpiness of the Star Trek franchise as well. I hate the Home One about as much as I hate the NCC-1701-D. I just want a decent number of nicely razor sharp and angular ships for SW protagonists to use. Those Starhawk battleships might fit the bill in regards to SW. Trek is most certainly a lost cause...just look at Enterprise from the reboot films and even more so those awful ST- Online ship designs, YUCK!

Yoda_Jammies and Sinrebirth like this.
  21. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    ...this from someone with a Vorlon avatar??

22. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I seem to remember in the Fleet Junkie thread there was speculation on if the Star Hawks would appear in future Battlefront Content, and it was pointed out that when they did the Scarif DLC instead of making Hammerheads or the Profundity, they just reused the Corellian Corvette models. So I would say it's unlikely.

True this time around DICE does seem to be including some new stuff, like the Imperial Raider from the X-wing Miniatures game. But there's a big difference between telling the game designers and programmers "Here's some pictures of this ship, we want you to include it in the game" and telling them "Here's some vague descriptions of a ship from a novel, we want you to design it from the ground up and put it in the game".

23. Darth_Lilapso

Jun 25, 2007
    What you people have no sense of irony :p

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I want to like them, but since Inferno Squad joins the First Order, I just can't. Delta Squad were some decent people with whom the Empire's message resonated with. Inferno Squad are probably just brain-washed COMPNOR youth. The First Order is pretty much everything wrong with the Empire.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Seeing as we're going to get a story about how they join the First Order, this seems to be the perfect example of a "let's wait and see how it goes before judging."

Jedi Princess and Sinrebirth like this.