main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I think they just mean the officers beneath the captains and admirals. Like the ones we see on the bridge with Yularen.

SilentGuy66 and LelalMekha like this.
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    You're probably right. But I wonder: where do these non-clone officers come from? Are they Judicials? How come these non-clones seem to be captains and flag officers only? Surely, there must be some in the lower ranks. You simply can't promote every single Judicial to the rank of captain at the lowest.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Yeah, they're Judicials. Tarkin, an officer in the GAR, wad part of the Judicials, and they were the primary peacekeeping force prior to the Clone Wars, with their own fleet apparently.

Also, while it isn't explicitly stated, we can infer that Yularen was also a Judicial. He participated in the Battle of Malastare Narrows, which happened years prior to the Clone Wars, and the only force I can think of that would be involved is the Judicial Fleet.

Ventrix likes this.
  4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Something interesting in the Essential Guide to Warfare that doesn't seem to get mentions is the Republic Army. It was the direct predecessor of the Imperial Army, formed from the PSFs and Judicials. Also, it was specifically non-clone.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Even worse it's the same page on desktop. :p

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, the answer to your questions is largely "budget" - which is why it would be kind of silly to go too far with interpreting this as definite canon.

7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    TBH, I don't see what it has to do with budget. It's not like face randomizers to generate distinct characters easily are particularly expensive or high tech nowadays.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    No, I'm saying that the reason TCW originally only had high-ranking naval officers be non-clones was so they could reuse the same clone officer model to save costs, and it doesn't need to be continued too much in-universe if that's not a concern (as seems to be the case here).

9. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

:oops:

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Any news out of gamescon in germany?

11. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    JediBatman, Contessa, spicer and 5 others like this.
  13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    It's gonna be good when Iden finds out that operation Cinder isn't really about retaining order throughout the galaxy but actually just Sheev being a sore loser :p

Jedi Ben and Pius Dea Crusader like this.
  14. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Oh brother, this looks good. Not that there was any doubt before, but the pre-order goes in this weekend...
    Or is it. Do we really have the whole story yet about Operation Cinder and the Contingency? Maybe it's really not all about Palpatine simply trying to burn it all down because he can't take it with him. I wonder if there isn't yet more to be revealed about that...

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's both in-character and yet disappointing for Sheev's reaction to be to flip the table when he loses a board game. But I'm interested to see if there was more to it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's both in-character and yet disappointing for Sheev's reaction to be to flip the table when he loses a board game. But I'm interested to see if there was more to it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    There were good ideas in Shattered Empire but the product in general was a mess. I'm hoping Battlefront II will take those interesting ideas and make them more what I was hoping to get from the comic. I'm glad they're using the Messenger Droids, since I thought those were one of the more interesting ideas from it... although that being said, in the comic, the officers thought that the droids were actually real-time messengers from Palpatine who hadn't actually been killed at Endor, right? (But were possibly just being used by the commander of the base at the end to give his commands to the rest of the Empire, or at least that was the implication I took away.) Here it seems like the Versos know and accept that Palpatine was killed and these guys are giving out "the last command" (nice reference, too). I kind of like the comic version better.

18. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    This game (and Red Dead Redemption 2) is forcing me to finally purchase a PS4. Can't wait for what looks to be an epic single-player campaign. Hope additional campaign missions eventually come in DLC.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Brule: yes, my impression was both that the officer didn't know and it was that guy at the base with the tree that was sending out the Cinderbots.

Perhaps the notion is that Versio, an ISB admiral, has a higher clearance and more access to information than a random captain would. Certainly Iden wasn't cleared to hear their objective -- it'll be interesting to see what it actually is.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I loved the cutscene; the campaign looks more promising the more I see. I'm excited to see how they connect Operation Cinder to the Contingency. I do hope it's a fairly long campaign.

One thought about Palpatine's plan: maybe the goal of Operation Cinder was to begin transforming the Empire into the First Order. While Aftermath makes it seem that Rax was going beyond Palpatine's plan, it could be possible that he was planning it all from the start.

21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, if the Shattered Empire version was indeed supposed to be the tree base commander using the Messengers for his own end, that would seem to imply that Operation Cinder was his own idea. Which Aftermath definitely did not run with. So it's possible that the overall purpose of it has changed between writers.

Another reason I like the Messengers, they hearken back to the Royal Guards with the fake Palpatine from YJK.

JediKnight75 and Iron_lord like this.
  22. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I'd assume what we saw in Aftermath was more accurate since it had the ability to go more in depth than Shattered Empire. In the comic, I just assumed that the base was where the Sentinels were manufactured rather than the base's commander using them for his own purposes. So the comic was vague enough to be interpreted in multiple ways.

I agree, the messengers were a great idea.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    We don't know what the Contingency was though, but Rax's recollection seems to suggest more than Palpatine wanted to destroy the Empire rather than the Rebels.

And then Rax takes things into his own hands and wants to reshape a remnant of the Empire into something else entirely.

So none of it is really all that clear: what was Palpatine actually after?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    It would make sense that an intelligence officer would have access to intel. :p

25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't even think Rax really wanted to rebuild the galaxy in his image so much was just burning everything.

He was following THE LAST COMMAND because he's Thrawn/Jade.

However, given how Cinder is framed in that scene, I totally think our heroine is going to kill her father.