main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Battlefront: Twilight Company (released 11/3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cdgodin, Apr 17, 2015.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    In the interest of clearing this up: word has come down to me from On High that while the cover is (naturally) not a literal event, Mr. Beardy is Howl--aka my spirit animal.

Cheerios4u98 and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I hadn't thought about that, but yeah, that would totally work.

3. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    I assumed that was the case while reading it. Just because he was the only one described with a huge beard.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...yeah so my view of Howl has completely changed now that I know he has a beard.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Didn't think of that being Howl. So we have no representation of Namir, huh? I wonder if that was intentional?

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Someone way back said they pictured him as Sayid from Lost and that kinda stuck for me.

7. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    I just pictured a young Indian/Middle-east looking guy

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Who, Namir? I could totally see that, actually. "Namir" sounds like a very Middle Eastern name, so that's a great idea.

9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Isn’t he described as really deeply dark skinned?

10. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    It has finally arrived in the mail! As soon as I'm getting back from work I can start! YES!

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    just bought my copy today. looking forward to reading this one.

Gorefiend and Mange like this.
  12. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    As well you should! It's really a gem. :)

Gorefiend likes this.
  13. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Started it last night while listening to an old episode of Band of Brothers. definitely taking my time with this one.

Mange likes this.
  14. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    80 pages in and this is one of the best SW books I've read in a long time. Definitely my favorite of the new canon. Here's hoping Battlefront turns into a series!

15. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    120 pages in myself (Fallout 4 also demands my attention - need to spread Minutemen influence all over the place) but I'm loving it. This book makes me think of Gaunt's Ghosts (which was the first comparison I made when hearing about the title) but also The Black Company - due to the sheer variety of situations and events covered so far (first BC books goes from place to place in every chapter) and Namir's cynical look at things (which reminds me of Croker but minus the funny sarcasm and writing erotic stories about the boss*). Definitely loving it so far.

*The Lady's equivalent in this comparison would that tyrant in charge of the Rebellion so yeah

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Add me to the list who thought this book was average. To me none of the characters really connected or were all that interesting. I was the Prelate and imperial side of things would have picked things with but when I wanted their perspective on things there was barely a whisper.

As I said they story was not bad. The characters weren't bad. The action was not bad. It was all just very....ehhh?

So far for me the best two NEU books are New Dawn and Lost Stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stymi likes this.
  17. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    About halfway done with the book right now. Overall above average, but the battle of Hoth strayed into the realm of EXCELLENT.

18. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Well I just finished this, and really loved it. Namir is a realistic and flawed character, which was kind of cool to see, and more relateable than some perfect soldier who's completely devoted to the rebellion. I also loved how this book gave more context to the movies - knowing about the rebellion's overall strategy and strength makes the defeat at Hoth a lot more impactful.

It was very well written, and Freed obviously knows a lot about the lore and has great attention to detail, I'm amazed this is his first novel! Even if it doesn't follow Twilight company, I'd love to see a sequel that follows another group of soldiers, whether they're Rebel or Imperial.

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think only three of us on that list. Lol.

Like I said before, very disappointed in the TFN lit. forums for the lack of sarcastic belittlement and negative criticism in general.

Not even the BBLers are griping anymore.

This is like Bizzaro TFN.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Stymi Your opinion is so suspect that I cast aspersions on your paternity and your family honor.

Better? :p

21. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That was super kind of you to say.

I hate your opinions too!!

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Your anti-fandom's dead, son. Admit it.

Stymi likes this.
  23. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think Wendig would like to have a word with you. Lol.

It'll be interesting to see fan reactions to Life Debt, post-TFA release.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, if it's Insult Stymi Day - and no-one told me - then clearly we need go nineteenth century for some real insults...

Stymi likes this.
  25. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Yeah, Insult Stymi Day is right up there with May the Fourth.

And look at this BLATANT shaming of dissenting points of view to get me to conform.

How typical

Help, help...I'm being oppressed!

(On second thought, good work TFN lit. forum...I feel like I returned from Oz...and you were there, Jedi Ben, and you, Jello, and you, Vthuil...).