main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Battlefront: Twilight Company (released 11/3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cdgodin, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Has there been any confirmation as to the identity of the Imperial unit mentioned in the novel's synopsis (You know, the "army of highly trained, single-minded stormtroopers [which, 'under the direction of the Emperor and Darth Vader'] quashes dissent and destroys resistance")?

I find myself wondering about these troops. I'm especially curious whether they might turn out to be the Imperial 501st (a mention of the name "Vader's Fist" sure would be neat).

The_Forgotten_Jedi and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    The excerpt in Dark Disciple is cool and quite gritty. It seems like this will be quite different to any of the previous NEU novels, in that really gets into how it is for an ordinary soldier in this conflict.

BobaMatt likes this.
  3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Um, I thought it was just Stormtroopers in general.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    It very well could be. I read it as talking-up a specific unit who act as a foil for the Rebel's Twilight Company in the novel.

But it certainly could be a line about stormtroopers in the general, generic sense.

Revanfan1 and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  5. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I'm hoping there will be. Seeing as Uprising has a special unit of troopers days after Endor, I'm hoping to see more specialized units in the Rebellion era.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's Uprising?

7. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Star Wars Uprising is a mobile RPG that's coming out in September. It's set in the days after Endor, in the Anoat Sector, with the local Moff going paranoid and shutting down traffic to and from the entire sector, pretending the battle at Endor went in the Empire's favor and killing off dissenters and Rebels. The uprising against him and his Purge Troopers is the main storyline in the game.

8. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    Battlefront: Twilight Company has just gotten an official synopsis;

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...ilight-company-star-wars-by-alexander-freed/#

The bravest soldiers. The toughest warriors. The ultimate survivors.

"Among the stars and across the vast expanses of space, the Galactic Civil War rages. On the battlefields of multiple worlds in the Mid Rim, legions of ruthless stormtroopers—bent on crushing resistance to the Empire wherever it arises—are waging close and brutal combat against an armada of freedom fighters. In the streets and alleys of ravaged cities, the front-line forces of the Rebel Alliance are taking the fight to the enemy, pushing deeper into Imperial territory and grappling with the savage flesh-and-blood realities of war on the ground.

Leading the charge are the soldiers—men and women, human and nonhuman—of the sixty-first mobile infantry, better known as Twilight Company. Hard-bitten, war-weary, and ferociously loyal to one another, the members of this renegade outfit doggedly survive where others perish, and defiance is their most powerful weapon against the deadliest odds. When orders come down for the Rebels to fall back in the face of superior opposition numbers and firepower, Twilight reluctantly complies. Then an unlikely ally radically changes the strategic equation—and gives the Alliance’s hardest-fighting warriors a crucial chance to turn retreat into resurgence.

Orders or not, alone and outgunned but unbowed, Twilight Company locks, loads, and prepares to make its boldest maneuver—trading down-and-dirty battle in the trenches for a game-changing strike at the ultimate target: the very heart of the Empire’s military machine."

Barriss_Coffee and MercenaryAce like this.
  9. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I think it's about time we got a cover for this novel

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm. When is this supposed to be set? Protracted Mid Rim campaigns do indeed bring the civil war to GCW, but it seems hard to see it as anything but post-ROTJ. But the majority of the game is set in the OT, so that seems unlikely.

Curious about the end of that summary -- the heart of the Empire's military machine? Are they striking at the Core Worlds, then? Bold.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The initial excerpt that came out a while back begins eighteen months after ANH. We learn that the Mid Rim campaign was started "in the wake of the Rebellion's victory against the Death Star" but collapsed nine months in due to the fleet being overextended, and by nine months after that they are now in withdrawal.

12. bsmith7174

Apr 17, 2015
    You don't think it would be related to the attack on Cymoon 1, would you?

13. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I sure do - when the excerpt first came out I speculated that the attack on Cymoon I, and some of the other engagements mentioned in the comic book (I think Kuat was mentioned, for one), were connected to the Mid Rim campaign, as both were described in their respective sources as among the largest operations the Rebels had attempted to date. It makes tons of sense to cripple targets like, say, the Empire's biggest weapons factory, with a surgical strike before launching into a protracted military campaign.

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
  15. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Alien in the Alliance!

16. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Man, between this gorgeous cover and Marvel's Star Wars #13 cover, this has definitely been a better than average day for Star Wars cover reveals :D

Jedi Ben, Aphra and spicer like this.
  17. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Not bad.

18. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Nice! Really looking forward to this one. About time the Alliance ground soldiers got some focus.

19. JoeBiWanKenobi

JoeBiWanKenobi Jedi Master

Apr 25, 2008
  20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I'm liking the game tie-in with the rocket trooper. ^^

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. bsmith7174

Apr 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

Vib3s likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's three women on the cover, one alien, and one man. Not too shabby.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jam Lacobus likes this.
  23. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    So a Jedi probably, right?

I love that their Besalisk buddy doesn't just look like Dex.

24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i got admit i'm really looking forward to this one cause i'm a big fan of military stories.

25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    How sad is it that this can't automatically be taken as a given on a board dedicated to Star Wars? :p