main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Battlefront VS GTA: SA

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by hawk, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I am going to buy one of these games today. I need your opinion about which to purchase. I love first person shooters like Dark Forces but have never been let down by the GTA series which is always considered a "must have" in the PS2 collection. Nevertheless, I am worried it might be a tad repetitive now while Battlefront is getting rave reviews.

So, give me your experienced advice. :D

2. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Unless you plan to play online I would go for San Andreas. Without the multiplayer aspect Battelfront gets old.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

3. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Yeah, I wasn't planning on going online. I always find it frustrating.

4. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    I've got both (Obviously I didn't buy them at the same time) and I love them both. They're without doubt the best games (along with Burnout 3) to be released this year.

I think you should buy one of them now, and buy the other later on. Which you buy now, is of course up to you. ;)

5. Not_Applicable

Not_Applicable Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Haven't played Battlefront, so I can't give a comparison.

GTA:SA is bigger, but not necessarily better than its predecessors, in my opinion. Too many frustrating missions, a disappointing lack of rampages, and a largely forgettable selection of music and radio stations. On the plus side, climbing, swimming, and the improved combat system are great.

6. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Not too sure about the swimming. Swimming in games is always frustrating. How improved is the combat system?

7. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...i think you get more for your money with GTA..

Although i have to agree with the complaint about the music..

I still think "Vice City" is a better overall experience....

"Battlefront" isn't a horrible game, though.. But i'd probably wait for it to go to a "Greatest Hits" release, where you can get it for a whole lot cheaper..

8. Not_Applicable

Not_Applicable Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Swimming isn't a major gameplay element, it's just nice to know you're not in danger of instant death when near water. Diving beneath the surface is cumbersome, but you so rarely need to do it that it's not a problem.

As for the combat system: You can lock on to targets while using fists or melee weapons, and it's generally much more effective (and even fun) than in the previous games. You can now strafe with weapons, sneak along, and perform stealth kills. The targeting indicator also changes color to reflect the health of the selected NPC. Very nice stuff.

If you want to know more, I suggest stepping into the GTA:SA thread.

9. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    " Nevertheless, I am worried it might be a tad repetitive now while Battlefront is getting rave reviews. "

Battlefronts the one that will get repeatitive without online. I don't really like the GTA series, although I do respect it, and even I know this game will own you. Probably onw of the best games I won't play. Well theres still Metriod Prime 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Halo 2.

10. Darth_Hootius

Darth_Hootius Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2004
    In my opinion, you should go with GTA: SA. I have both games. Don't get me wrong, BattleFront is the best war game I have ever played, but the story mode goes by quick and then the main fun is playing online or splitscreen with a friend. GTA though, is pretty much endless. It completely blows the other GTA out of the water. So, in your case, buy GTA and rent BattleFront.

11. Anakin_Sleepwalker

Anakin_Sleepwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    You should definitely go with GTA: San Andreas. I own both GTA and Battlefront. Battlefront is a good shooter, but without any missions (other than shoot the bad guy first) and a limited AI (it's still good, but not nearly as entertaining as playing with other humans), it can get old a little quickly. GTA, however, will last and last and last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.