main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Battlestar Galactica 2003

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by soneil, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I just finished watching the new remake of Battlestar Galactica. As a kid I loved watching the original series (yeah I know it was a starwars rip-off but it was still fun to watch).
    Overall, I thought the new show was pretty good, and they're going to make it in to a series. Of course they way it ended, it would be annoying if they didn't follow it with a series. I won't say how it ended but it was essentially a 'to be continued' ending. For those who haven't seen it, I'll tell you a bit about it without spoiling anything.
    Story-wise, they've taken lots of elements from the original plot and re-arranged them to make a story that's very different in details, but with the same basic plot. Ie, survivors of a massive cylon attack band together and head off through the galaxy led by the only remaining battlestar - Galactica.
    Most of the characters from the original are back, though there's some differences. There isn't such a black and white distinction between good guys and bad guys. So Baltar for example still has ties with the bad guys but he's not an out-right traitor. The result is that I think the story has more depth than the orginal. Some fans of the old series are up in arms about Starbuck and Boomer becoming female characters but I think it's ok. Starbuck's played well and Boomer was never more than a minor character in the original anyway. Glen A Larson, the producer/maker of the original is involved in this one so I guess he's made sure there's plenty for fans of the original to recognise (including the original theme music being played by a band while some fighters do a cerimonial fly-by :) ).
    A lot of it has been made more realistic such as the way the fighters fly, shoot etc. This is good in some ways but it also seems to have made things like the space battles and fighter launches a little less exciting. Not real sure how else to describe it.
    Since it's basically a pilot episode, it moves pretty slowly in the first half to the point of almost being boring while it does the usual character intros but it picks up nicely after that.
    Overall, I thought it was pretty enjoyable. For anyone who hasn't seen it and doesn't feel like downloading 3 hours worth of hi-res video (1.4Gb worth), I'll bring it for the multimedia meet if we have it.
    I'm also currently in the process of downloading every episode of the original series too since not all of them are out on DVD yet. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.