Battlestar Galactica 2005 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Evansville, IN' started by Ulkesh2, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_TKD Jedi Master

star 3
    The Force is with you, young Stacky, but you are not a Wilhelmus yet...

:D
  2. navarre1095 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thr brigandine body armour that the marines wear is cool and totally do-able although a little too terrestrial looking.
  3. navarre1095 Force Ghost

star 4
    sigh, Navarre kills another thread.
  4. navarre1095 Force Ghost

star 4
    Red, don't read this yet. Okay was Richard Hatch's character a rival of the bad guy or is he now moving in to fill the void left by Apollo's well placed bullet?
  5. WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm so far behind on BSG :(

I need to buy the DVDs...then I will still be all of this season behind.
  6. Ulkesh2 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think one can look at Tom Zarek (Richard Hatch) as a 'wild card'. I don't think he has replaced the 'black market' boss. Zarek is a politician with 'street knowledge'. He has gone legit as an elected representative in the Quorum of Twelve. Yet if need be he has contacts in the 'black market'. He is only aware of what is possible from that realm. Zarek need never have to take an active role in that realm. Whereas the dead boss was an active participant in various deals going down. Think of it this way Zarek is a glorified eavesdropper on the occasional snippet of info. While the boss was the librarian of all channels of info. Zarek will now distance himself further from the 'black market'. Or he might position himself at the head of a group of 'black market' watchdogs. Why? To stay in the loop of info and yet remain in the good graces of his public supporters. He's walking a balance. As a 'wild card' he may tip that balance from time to time. For good or ill intent remains to be determined.
  7. Ulkesh2 Jedi Master

star 4
    SPECULATION NOT SPOILERS...

I had a possible revelation regarding the end of the second season and the entire third season of BG.

Ready?

Season 2 might end with a shift in POV. The cliff-hanger might involve a change in perspective. A hint of what is to happen in the third season.

The kicker I speculate is that the third season will be entirely from the Cylon side of things. In other words the Galactica and the Rag-Tag civilian fleet will be the outsider. The third season will be from the focus of the Six clones, Sharon clones, etc. An in-depth look at Cylon society is at hand I believe. We may get a glimpse at who or what the Cylons worship.

- "By Your Command." -

[face_devil]
  8. Ulkesh2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Really nice episode tonight...chock full of starfighter combat. Geez that Cylon fighter was a real motherFRAKKER. Love the way they put emphasis on the 'face' of the Cylon fighter. Nice nod to the Classic BG series was included. Did anyone note that one of the names of the lost pilots was JOLLY? For those too young to know Classic BG had a Viper pilot named Jolly. He was Classic BG's answer to SW's Jek Porkins. Also the nicknaming of a Cylon is a Classic BG practice. Scar follows the nickname tradition of such characters as Cy, Red Eye, and etc. Kara sure did get a bit frisky in this episode. Poor Lee...tsk, tsk, tsk. Oh and Red if you are reading this your callsign was listed among the lost pilots. Indeed STEPCHILD was in the roll call of nugget (or otherwise) deaths. A moment of silence for Stepchild on Red's behalf. Can somebody play 'Taps'?
  9. Yoda_Jammies Shelf of Shame - 2nd Place

Game Winner
    star 4
    Yah, sorry Red.
    Jolly got owned in the mini. I remember thinking, "Oh, that's the new Jolly. Oh, he's dead already. Huh. How bout that." I do have a question for the BSG'ers out there, but first:
    http://www.gizoogle.com/index.php
    So, how does the new command structure work now that the two battlestars have been intergrated? Why is Starbuck in charge of a squadron? Is she a CAG? Apollo is a CAG, or is he THE CAG and starbuck is incharge of Galatica while someone else is incharge of the Peg (both of whom answer to Lee)? Who is left in charge of the Peg?

I think I need a flow chart.
    /Jammies
  10. TC517 Jedi Master

star 4
    It realy hasn't all been worked out yet. It seems that Lee is that CAG of Galactica, and Starbuck is kinda filling in where the producers want some drama. An upcoming episode will feature the new commanders of the Peggy, so hopefully we will see where people are now positioned in the post-Kane/Fisk era.

11. Ulkesh2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Poor Billy. A moment of silence for the earnest politician-to-be.
  12. navarre1095 Force Ghost

star 4
    Billy don't be hero,
    Don't be a fool with your life.
    Billy don't be a hero,
    come back and make me your wife.
    and as he started to go she said,
    "Billy keep your head low.
    Billy don't be hero.
    come back to me"

Really bad song from the 70's
  13. Ulkesh2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow...I almost forgot that song. Geez...kinda on the nose with the latest episode.
  14. TC517 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah... what a bad day to grow some jewels. :(

I am ready for two episodes from now though... I want story progression again. Don't get me wrong, the last few (and the next one) are awesome, but we have been kinda stuck in the same place for a while.
  15. Ulkesh2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey I wanted to point out a small detail that fans of the classic BG should make note of. In the episode SCAR the classic BG land ram is seen roaming. Nice tip of the hat to classic BG. You will see the said vehicle while we watch one of the mining ships sitting on the surface of a planetoid.

EJO (Admiral Adama) was recently interviewed and said the show is indeed going to become more disturbing and political. He stated it may even be considered 'un-American' in some arenas. I say good. We need powerful allegory that makes us pause in our actions and think hard about what we do as not just a nation gone unilateral, but as sentient beings racing into the future. I said it before and I'll say it again. The revised BG really is the flowering of serious sci-fi for the mainstream viewer. Long live the revised BG and more importantly may it remain relevant to our lives.
  16. GeekGoddess Jedi Master

star 4
    Through the good graces of Stacky and me finally breaking down and joining iTunes, I was able to get the last 3 episodes and watch them finally.

Black Market - I would have done the same thing as Lee, but I prolly would have taken the ring leader and had a few "play" sessions with him first before I made him beg for the mercy of death. Both the Adama men had the right idea about how to handle the whole situation. I like that we are getting to see a more in-depth look at the charaters pre-attack lives. It helps flesh them out more.

Scar - Again, with the reveresed time thing.... twice is enough... Anywho, quite a poignant episode. I may be mistaken, but didn't "Hot Dog" die in a previous episode? Why wasn't he in the roll call of the fallen?

Sacrifice - OK, I must have missed a special episode or something, cause I don't remember anything ever getting started between Dualla and Apollo. I blame the latent blonde genes inherited from my mother if it was obvious somewhere. Anywho, yes, I agree, a bad day for Billy to become a man. Talk about the crappiest day of your life! And Dualla is going to be doing some soul-searching. Billy was right when he said she should have been upfront/honest with him. Poor Billy, and poor Rosalin, him being her psuedo-family and all. Damn, hasn't the woman been through enough already?!?! Sheesh! I'm just sorry the terrorists didn't blow away Tigh's wife Ellen! That 'Ho needs ta go!!! *snap snap* And poor Starbuck! She just can't seem to NOT hurt the Adama men in some way, shape, or form.

Anywho, all I can say is "BRING ON THE BABY!"
  17. Stackpole_The_Hobbit Force Ghost

star 6
    This is, for those of you who know it, a good time to bring up a really bad pop song from the past :p
  18. navarre1095 Force Ghost

star 4
    I absolutely refuse to quote Paul Anka. Someone else will have to do it.
  19. Ulkesh2 Jedi Master

star 4
    CIC ANNOUNCEMENT:

Listen up Nuggets!

The season 2 finale will run long. The episode is to be 90 minutes long. That means more BG sweetness on a single night. So if you are taping the episodes make sure to allow for the special length of the season 2 finale. I think this is the remainder of this season in terms of episode titles...

1. The Captain's Hand (2-17-06)
    2. Downloaded (2-24-06)
    3. Lay Down Your Burdens Part 1 (3-3-06)
    4. Lay Down Your Burdens Part 2 (3-10-06)
    5. Third Season Opener (summer or fall 2006)

20. Yoda_Jammies Shelf of Shame - 2nd Place

Game Winner
    star 4
    NO! Over so soon? And, how long before season three starts?
    "Next season!? But that's a whole 'nother year!"

http://zarq.livejournal.com/413505.html

21. Ulkesh2 Jedi Master

star 4
    SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT
    -----------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------

Well Lee (Apollo) Adama goes from Major to Commander of the Peggy (a.k.a. The Beast). Does this mean Lee is about to meet death? The track record for Peggy commanders surviving is pretty crappy. Also now we have an Admiral Adama and a COMMANDER ADAMA once again. I bet when the civilian press get wind of this there will be shouts of nepotism. HEH-HEH-HEH.
  22. TC517 Jedi Master

star 4
    SPECULATION and SPOILERS (if you live under a rock):

I think Lee is the best insurance policy that Peggy could ever get. No matter what, you can't kill Apollo or Starbuck. Having one of them on board means that the Pegasus may actually be part of the fleet for a while. Writer/Producer Ron Moore has also said that everyone expects that in a show called "Battlestar Galactica," they would write off the Pegasus and everything associated with it off the bat. If that is what people expect, he doesn't want to write it in.

I think he will be fine, only because he is Apollo. Not to mention, it gives him a great character-driven story arch as he picks up being commander.
  23. Mr_Self_Destrukt Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was like a giddy little schoolboy when Lee was given his command.

Got a question, what killed the Raptor pilots? I can see an impact crater in the side windshield and blood in the pilots helmets.
  24. TC517 Jedi Master

star 4
    I would assume it was a raider bullet. The producers are all about leaving out details and "techno babble," and unless Moore talks about it in the next podcast, we may never know. The other possibility is that they might they were boarded and killed from the inside. This explains the the distress calls. Or... it might have been something totally different and blood was just added so that we knew that they were for sure dead.
  25. Ulkesh2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Surprised no one has brought up the hot button issue of women's rights versus survival of the species. Talk about taking the issue head on. If I were a Colonial citizen I'd have to vote for Baltar. I know that shocks many of you. But see I think having individual rights up held even during a time of war is paramount to existing in the first place. No I would not trust Baltar. If he screws up and Humanity survives then the Colonial citizens can always impeach or vote him out of office. Besides I do not like openly religious zealots (like the Gemonese (sic) telling women what they can or can not do with their bodies. Why survive as a species if individuals can not think for themselves?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.