main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome

Discussion in 'Community' started by MasterDillon, Aug 11, 2011.

1. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    I was reading on Wikipedia there is going to be a new series called Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome. It is supposed to take place in the First Cylon War. I've never been a BSG fan, but I've been thinking about giving the series a try by first watching Caprica, then the new series that comes out.

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I have heard it would be a mini series.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Blood & Chrome, eh? Will the series feature lots of slo-mo gore and Lucy Lawless gettin' nekkid? :p

4. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    [image=http://knowyourmeme.com/i/626/original/ohoq9.jpg]

5. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    It will be a "move event" and a backdoor pilot, meaning that whatever they make will show in its entirety in one night (either a one-hour or a two-hour episode) and if it does well, it will get picked up and join the channel as a regular show.

I'm optimistic about this program, but cautious and worried about the ratings. People don't typically watch television the way they used to (ie, in the regular time slot, during its first airing, non-tivo and not online) especially for sci-fi shows, and its only those traditional viewers who matter to ratings, and ultimately to funding and a show's success or failure.

It's also interesting that BSG was criticized for having a 'too-young cast', composed mostly of 30-somethings, with a handful of actors and actresses approaching or in their gray-hair years. This new BSG spinoff is skewing even younger, with several of the leads played by college-age actors.

6. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I would recommend starting with the BSG miniseries, then go through the full series. caprica after that. Caprica was very different. From what I have seen, Blood and Chrome would fit in more with the BSG miniseries and Razor than Caprica, I think. More action, less drama angsty-stuff.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I'd be inclined to agree with that. Caprica was really good, but Battlestar was always great and frequently brilliant.

8. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Just watch the 1978 movie. Maybe a couple of the episodes after that. And stop after the episodes that introduce female pilots, because the original show is really awful after that point.

You know what? Just watch the original movie and stop.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Ummm...unless you're the kind of person that collects bad movies, don't watch the original show. The original show is terrible and Galactica 1980 is even worse.

[face_sick]

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The original show had a few decent to good episodes, it just has a completely different tone. If it didn't gave any good episodes, it wouldn't gave had the fanbase for twenty years trying to get a sequel or reboot made in the first place.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Maybe, but I am inclined to agree with RDM when he said that the original show had a great concept, but terrible execution.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  13. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I just hope its better then Caprica which started off with promise and then just went to hell.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought Caprica was the opposite- outside of it's initial concept, it started off very slow and spotty, but slowly built to awesomeness. It just took too long getting there.

15. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    It had gotten to the only plotline I liked was Zoie in the Net. Whatever even happened to that last half of the season? I thought they were still going to air it starting last Nov?

16. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Does anyone know the release date for this? Looking more like 2012 now?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They aired "the final five" back in January, months after the show had been cancelled, when the DVD set hit.

The show really did kick into drive then, though. As I've said before, if episode 13 of the series had been episode 6, the show would have been a big hit.

18. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    I'm hoping they change their minds & do a tv show. This has good promise with proper execution.

The last few episodes were really good. I think part of the problem was that it was taking too long to set up things. Also, the plot was getting too convoluted. At times it strayed away from the main purpose of the show.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. Four or five seasons of Adama and Tigh kicking ass and tacking names would be awesome...

20. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    There is more info to be found about BSG:BLOOD AND CHROME on the web. Plot details have been leaked quite some time ago. Structure wise the narrative for BSG:BAC is akin to the plot flow of STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE. By this I mean...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!

Three major characters in a 'break-out' situation (Han, Luke, Leia on the Death Star). In the two hour TV-movie BSG:BAC we have an older, cynical pilot (played by Ben Cotton) - he's the Han-like character. Then we have the 'wet-behind-the-ears' rookie / 'Nugget' with a destiny (young Bill Adama is our Luke Skywalker - interesting that the young actor playing Bill Adama is named LUKE Pasaquino (sic)), the 'damsel-in-distress-but-can-handle-herself' is Beka a tech from Greystone Industries. These three Colonial Humans find themselves behind enemy lines. Oh and Cotton's character is the captain of a Colonial Raptor forerunner named the 'Wicked Weasel'. Again one finds comparison to Han and the Falcon in this bit of info. The idea is that young Bill is assigned to the Galactica in the tenth year of the Cylon War. He is not assigned a Colonial Viper right away. Rather he is made a navigator for the 'Wicked Weasel'. This forerunner to the later Colonial Raptor can be thought of as like a WWII bomber. The mission is to extract Greystone Industry techs from a Cylon base beyond the Red-Line.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I'll reserve judgement until we know more, but that sounds like it could be fun.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  23. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    OH MY FRAKKIN WORD !!!

...multiple geekgasm...

'Immigrant Song' now joins with 'Along The Watchtower' as Kobollian-Cool!

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, that would be Girl-With-a-Dragon Tattoo-cool ;).

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. So say we all.

:cool: :eek: :D [face_dancing]