main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Battlestar Galactica Discussion Thread (non-spoilers)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Mr_Self_Destrukt, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jediravenclaw

jediravenclaw Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004
    OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG HOLY FRAK!!!!

She's one of the five! She HAS to be one of the five! How else can you explain what just happened?! I mean, they CANNOT kill her off....and what kind of destiny would flying into a random storm be? Nope....and those last words of hers - something like "they are waiting for me"....HOMG, she's one of the five...

I've had that hunch since No 3 saw the faces of the Five...but omg it's gotta be her!

P.S. Stacky - this was by far not as bad as the end to season 2....you are not allowed to go back on your vow just yet!!!!

ok, and now I'm letting Erin have a say cause she forgot the password to her account ^_^...

Same as Lierin, including the whole OMG part. However, she might truly be dead. Her destiny could have been to die, thus influencing the people around her onto certain paths they otherwise might not have taken (Like Apollo and Adama).

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

2. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    LOL I posted that in the heat of wtfrak :p

I'm interested to see how RDM is going to fix this :p

PS it took two hours for facebook to have a 'starbuck is not dead' group :p

3. jediravenclaw

Dec 29, 2004
    we've totally joined ^_^

btw..."her mother was a hybred and had a child with Gaius Baltar"?
    [face_laugh] :D [face_laugh] :D [face_laugh] :D [face_laugh] :D [face_laugh]

That's great ^_^

4. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    The most likely situation to develop out of this twist...
    (the following is a THEORY only)

It is my belief that Kara is one of the 'Beings of Light' that Number 3 saw. Remember in the various mythologies how gods will impregnate mortal woman? Kara may have been the by-product of such a union. Not unlike Anakin's status as a Chosen One in SW. Now this is the tricky part. The 'Beings of Light' may have evolved from A.I. created by the ancient Kobollians (before the establishment of the Thirteen Colonies). In other words the 'Beings of Light' are advanced self aware machines (ancient forerunners to the Cylons - but not directly related to them). So what has happened before is happening again. Humans building self aware machines that rebel. The 'Beings of Light' were the template for the Cylons when they created the 'skinjobs' for infiltration into the Twelve Colonies in the modern era. Or it could be that Number 3 was wrong about the 'Beings of Light' as the 'Final Five'. It might be that the 'Beings of Light' are the Lords of Kobol instead! The 'Final Five' are still wild cards. The point is Kara does have a special destiny. Like the little angel figurine she gave Admiral Adama for his model ship Kara's 'true' form will revisit to help guide the Galactica to Earth.

5. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    But if Kara = Lord of Kobol she'd have to be Athena :p

Which means Sharon has to change her name AGAIN :p

6. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    Hi.

I suppose I will, once again, be the "loyal opposition". I hated last night's episode. Since this is a non-spoiler thread, I will not indicate why. Suffice it to say, I can see why the fourth season, so far, has only been green lit for 13 episodes.

Peace,
    Edric

PS:

Compared to last night's episode, (just my idea), Spock's Brain for TOS is a hugo worthy screenplay and Jar Jar was a brilliant character!

I may never watch Galactica again I am so offended.

7. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Okay, you all remember how you were overdoing it about the random-ass mini-football Adama was playing with in his fantasy/flashback/thingy in A Day In The Life?

That angel thing that Kara got from the Oracle (of Delphi - is she just REALLY Greek and I never noticed?) and gave to the Old Man ... THAT will play a part :p

8. jediravenclaw

Dec 29, 2004

Nooooo! REALLY??!?!?! :p

lol, if it didn't, I'd have to go and kick the writers personally ^_^

And they don't know what "Greek" is btw. The mythology started on Kobal and all of the tribes just took the myths with them when they broke up and went along their merry way. The Greeks as an ethnic people couldn't have developed till the 13th tribe reached earth...

This really awesome german guy I met in London (he ran our hostel and is a big BSG fan) thinks that they will reach an earth that is at about 1 BCE or something and that Baltar will be Jesus bringing the cylon message of a one true god. how this would affect the rest of the polytheistic human fleet-civilization-thing, I don't know...but it's something to think about given Baltar's current appearance. They could be given an island and name it Atlantis maybe? Or settle on a mountain and name it Olympus? *shrug*

Personally I like the idea of Baltar being crucified, but that's just me and my sadistic streak ^_^.

9. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Uh, Stacky the angel-like figurine I think represented Aurora the Goddess of Navigation - not Athena.

Edric what did you not like about the March 4th episode? If you don't want to speak in Spoilerese on the open boards contact me via PM.

Folks we now have three episodes left for the third season. The titles for the remaining three episodes are-

The Son Also Rises

Crossroads Part 1

Crossroads Part 2

Then we will have to wait till the BG direct-to-DVD movie is released for our next fix. I speculate the BG- DTDVD movie will be released between September and December. The fourth season begins January 2008.

There might be a symbolic reason the fourth season is only thirteen episodes long. After all the goal of the Galactica/Rag-Tag Civilian Fleet is to discover the THIRTEENTH colony. Also I expect more narrative jumps in time (like the second season cliffhanger). Only instead of only a year forward we will be granted longer term glimpses of the future (ten, twenty, fifty, hundred, thousand years).

The fourth season may end with the discovery of Earth. If a fifth season happens then it might deal with the aftermath of that discovery. Or instead of a fifth season season we might get more BG-DTDVD movies about the aftermath of finding Earth.

Basically the BG producers/writers will do what they have a track record of doing. Surprising us with bold twists and turns. This show is not about a comfortable easy utopian ride. It is about the angst driven struggle for civilization.

10. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Hey Nuggets here is something fun. Go to Sci-Fi Channel's official BG website. Once there find the BG VideoMaker Toolkit. Watch two short (and very funny) fan-made BG related episodes. You as a fan can make your own contribution to BG! If you like fan-made films then go visit said site.

11. jediravenclaw

Dec 29, 2004
    This thread was almost on the second page! how DARE this thread be allowed to slip to almost the second page!!!
    tisk tisk!
    :oops:

oooo I hope not! The one jump was enough for me to disown the series for half a day (until a friend forced me into a seat to start season 3). Besides, they'd need a whole new cast to do that, and that wouldn't be very feasable except for between seasons...and the same cast is signed for season 4...yes?

12. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Well I realise that, but in the creation of the character, her name is THRACE, she is from DELPHI ... :p She is more (for want of a better term) 'hellenistic' (lol) than ANYONE ELSE on the show :p

Even those named after gods/lords :p

13. Mike-El

Mike-El Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2006
    Did Romo Lampkin look familiar?

He played Badger on Firefly.

Good episode. I really like what Lampkin wrote to Baltar about the son.

Pretty powerful stuff, but true, even with ones once favorite son.

14. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    In regards to further narrative time jumps-

Personally I like it when the writers of a show do this. It leaves me and others wanting to know more. From a business angle that is always a good thing. Leave the audience craving for more info about the Whos, Hows, and Whys that a narrative time jump provides. If interest is strong enough then a production studio can spin-off merchandise (books, comics, games, direct-to-DVD episodes, webisodes) that help fill in the gaps.

From an artistic angle narrative time jumps also make sense. It allows the writers to push the show's scope. To cheat the system of ratings and shares that can drag a show down. Back in the day (1960s to 1980s) when sci-fi was a rare thing on TV a sci-fi show at most might get two seasons. Thus fans never really got to see the bigger picture of the show's existence. If a show is having trouble with ratings and shares because of expense and genre then the writers can 'fast-track' the story scope with narrative time jumps. It helps them get to the point before the studio axe falls. Yet it leaves the show open to further development via other entertainment forms.

For those that can not understand the power of narrative jump jumping (or do not like such storytelling devices) I strongly suggest they watch Babylon 5. That show was under constant threat cancellation. When it looked like B5 might end with a fourth season J. Michael Straczynski (B5's creator) went ahead and filmed two endings to the fourth season. One ending was titled Sleeping In The Light. The other was titled Deconstruction Of Falling Stars.

The episode SITL jumped forward in the story arc about twenty years and ended one of B5's bigger sub-plots and thus resolved the show for all intents and purposes. SITL would have been used as B5's finale at the end of the fourth season had the show been cancelled. However TNT optioned B5 for a fifth season at the last hour. So Straczynski postponed SITL until the end of the fifth season. The ending of the fourth season then became DOFS instead. The episode DOFS also made use of a narrative time jumps. Not just one jump, but four glimpses of the near and far future of the show's universe.

It is quite interesting to see how the a show's present set-up affects the long-term. Battlestar Galactica's writers seem to understand this and may decide to follow the model provided by Straczynski and B5. They may advance the story arc of BG so that the audience can see how things develop before the fickle nature of TV moves on.

15. jediravenclaw

Dec 29, 2004
    something is seriously wrong with that Lampkin guy...I think he knew Baltar back on (Airlon, was it?). He's got the same accent, the same eyes, the same look....just the same feel about him. He's totally up to something! ^_^

16. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Arielon Colony = Aries

Yeah Romo Limpkin is kewl

:cool:

He's got shades

17. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    I think that the producers have run out of money - so that is why the episodes are just not exciting me much. It would be different if the characters were likable (just my idea, here). I used to likethe characters a lot - most notably Tigh - Michael Hogan is a great actor - but now they are just....blah.

Oh well.

Edric

18. jediravenclaw

Dec 29, 2004

heh, Aries. Silly aggressive fire signs...totally a cylon ^_^

*ignores the fire sign that her ruling planet is in* [face_whistling]

19. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    For those keeping track-

Dynamite Entertainments is releasing new Battlestar comics today. Zarek issue number 3 and Classic BG: Cylon Apocolypse issue number 1 are available.
    :D

20. jediravenclaw

Dec 29, 2004
    *facepalm*
    how could I miss this??

Gaius = Gaia = "earth"

:oops: I know, I know, I'm the last person to realise this...but quick! someone get me the etemology of "Baltar"!

...closest I've found is "Balder":
    Means "prince" from Old Norse. In Norse mythology Balder was the son of Odin and Frigg. Because of the disturbing dreams he had when he was young, his mother extracted an oath from every thing in the world that it would not harm him. However the evil fire god Loki learned that she had overlooked mistletoe. Being jealous, he tricked the blind god Hoder into throwing a branch of mistletoe at Balder, which killed him.

consequently:

Laura = "laural" (latin) = The laurel was said to communicate the spirit of prophecy and poetry, and was seen as a purifying plant with powers of immortality. Pythia, the high priestess of Delphi who would sit on her tripod to foresee the future and receive divine wisdom, did so while chewing laurel leaves. Today the laurel is seen as a symbol for peace and victory.

Roslin = "Variant of ROSALYN" ...=... the Latin phrase rosa linda "beautiful rose".

William = From the Germanic name Wilhelm, which was composed of the elements wil "will, desire" and helm "helmet, protection".

Lee = From a surname derived from Old English leah "meadow".

Zak = Zachary = "God has remembered" (hebrew)

Adama = "ground" or "land" (hebrew...DIRECT translation btw)

Kara = Cara = "This name can mean either "beloved" in Italian or "friend" in Irish." (and stacky pointed out that "Thrace" was a place in Greece)

Saul = From the Hebrew name Sha'ul which meant "asked for" or "prayed for". This was the name of the first king of Israel who ruled just before King David, as told in the Old Testament. (and if we remember, he wasn't as good a king as the ones that followed him)...

Galen = From the Roman cognomen Galenus, which meant "calm" from Greek

21. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Welly welly welly welly welly welly well! :p

On a semi-related note, do you ever go to 'behindthename.com' and do the 'random name generator' which includes 'literary', 'deity' and 'TransFormer' categories? :p

22. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Found a Battlestar Pegasus model kit! The frakker is expensive, but hey it's the frakkin Beast in plastic! Go to Starship Modelers and follow the link to Fantastik Plastic (or something like that). Looks nice and shiny! MINE! MINE! MINE!
    =P~
    [face_praying]
    =P~
    [face_praying]

23. capnfatpants

capnfatpants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2006
    I was listening to the Podculture podcast, and one of the co-hosts really doesn't like BSG that much, but she enjoys it when Adama and Roslin on are on-screen together. She's taken to calling it "The Bill and Laura Show" :oops:

24. jediravenclaw

Dec 29, 2004
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! [face_laugh]

GOOD FOR HER!! ^_^ They are the best part :D I love them so dearly...
    teehee, just ask Ulkesh and Stacky. I think I've killed them both with Roslin/Adama fangirling.

I'm serioulsy gonna have to start referring to BSG like that. I like the name. it works! :D I am officially amused [face_laugh]

25. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Are you REALLY officially amused? :p

Were there three of us present? did we vote on it? :p

EDIT: Were minutes taken? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.