main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Battlestar Galactica Discussion Thread (non-spoilers)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Mr_Self_Destrukt, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jediravenclaw

jediravenclaw Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Minutes for 3/17/2007:

6:40:15 pm: Jediravenclaw read capnfatpants' post in the "Battlestar Galactica Discussion Thread (non-spoilers)" thread on the Evansville fanforce on the force.net's message boards.
    6:40:30 pm: Jediravenclaw falls over laughing
    6:45:27 pm: Jediravenclaw recoveres long enough to share the source of her amusement with another BSG fan via AIM. Said friend said "lol"
    6:47:48 pm: Jediravenclaw started to write a response to capnfatpants' post
    6:49:18 pm: Jediravenclaw posts said response to capnfatpants' post declairing that she was officially amused.

I move to ratify these minutes as true. Any seconds?

EDIT: woohoo! 100th post ^_^
    ...sorry, but I like big, plump, round numbers. They make me happy :D

2. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Well part one of the third season finale has come to a close.

It will be a VERY long week ahead.

Good thing I read spoilers!

:D

[face_whistling]

BUZZ! CRACKLE!
    "...there are some among us who feel life is but a joke..."
    POP! SHHHZZZZ!

- excerpt from the Bob Dylan version of 'Along The Watch Tower'

[face_shhh]
    [face_mischief]

3. jediravenclaw

Dec 29, 2004
    *FREAKS OUT*

OMG, THE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE PEOPLE AT tv-links.co.uk CHANGED THEIR LAYOUT LAST NIGHT AND I CAN'T DOWNLOAD THEIR TV SHOWS ANYMORE!!!!!

:_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

one more episode! That's all I wanted from them!! ONE MORE BLOODY EPISODE!!!

...I think it's a conspiracy to send me to hell early. :mad:

someone will pay for this transgression!!! They shall pay DEARLY...

4. capnfatpants

capnfatpants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2006
    I though the quote went: "There are some who believe, jokes here began out there..." :D

5. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    [face_laugh]
    Capnfatpants scores a womprat on the Funny Side of the Force!
    [face_laugh]

6. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    This is getting interesting.

The President's bombshell was a surprise although not unexpected.

Lee Adama seems to have once again made a 360 in terms of character development - not liking it one bit.

Edric

7. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Lee's turn in vocational interests and all the talk that involves his grandpappy (Joseph Adama - lawyer that worked for an ACLU-like organization) serve as connective tissue to the developing Caprica prequel. Personally I cheered when Lee stepped down from military service and became a champion of due process. I particularly liked how he brought to the table President Roslin's drug induced religiosity as a sign of questionable judgement on her part. Excellent move. Lee's got Joe's genes.

Hope our good friend Hoosiertrooper is taking notes on BG's law-centric episodes. Cole might be able to write a term paper on Law and its use in Science Fiction's Sub-Genre of Social Parallelism. There you go Cole I just provided you with a thesis - free of charge.
    :-B

The reaffirment of friendship between Admiral Adama and Tigh was another great moment in part one of Crossroads.

Next week's part two will certainly be one to write home about. I should know - I've got me some spoiler action.
    [face_dancing]

8. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    Ah Kesh! For your generosity, I will give you a discount on all future legal services... a rate of only $400 an hour*.

*Rate does not apply to litigation, document drafting, or phone calls. I wouldn't be a good lawyer if I didn't charge you full price for a phone call. [face_beatup]

9. HoosierTrooper

Aug 1, 2006
    One more thought:

I just saw this on IGN

"In addition, Variety reports that Eick has renewed his deal with NBC Universal, who produce Battlestar, and will continue to develop the proposed Battlestar prequel/spinoff series, Caprica, with fellow Battlestar producer Ron Moore. A decision on whether Caprica will go forward or not will likely be made soon."

10. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Lierin, don't worry about it ... it isn't up yet anyway :p

And just iTunes it ... it'll only be like a fiver, and that'll be in US money too :p

Worst case scenario, I can download those eps and gmail you them or something :p

11. jediravenclaw

Dec 29, 2004
    ok, I ran into a false alarm back there...I just had to download Internet Explorer to watch it. It's ok, life is better now, I've watched it and no one is going to pay...

but the fact I've watched it doesn't mean I'm at all happy! :( *sobbing* I've said time and time again! ... so long as they leave my ship to me, I'll be happy with whatever the direction this show goes! [face_worried] SO LONG AS THEY LEAVE ME MY SHIP! :_| ... how how can my ship sail when she's got cancer again?!?!?!?!. :_| *sobs* Answer me that!! :_|

*reaches for nearest shoulder to sob on*

Adama knew, didn't he? He had to have known! omg. The whole Lee thing has yet to even regester with me yet. poor poor Laura! poor poor Bill! :_|

THEY CAN'T SINK MY SHIP! NOT YET! NOT NOW!

[face_worried] :( :_|

12. GeekGoddess

GeekGoddess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    well, at least she still stands to fulfill the prophecy.

13. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    SPECIAL CIC ANNOUNCEMENT:

Sci-Fi Channel has revealed that season 4 will be 22 episodes long (was only 13).

They also plan to have a special 2-hour BG event in late 2007. This special event most likely will be a BG TV-movie. Originally it was to have been a direct-to-DVD movie. Instead it will be on the Sci-Fi Channel first - then it will migrate over to DVD.

Exciting stuff!

SPECULATION:

1. May focus on a Cylon civil war.

2. May focus on a clue leading to Earth

3. Uh, can't tell you this theory because it involves a spoiler from Crossroads Part 2. PM me if you are not scared of spoilers.

4. Might be the lead-in movie to prequel TV series titled Caprica. If so then it may focus on the last battle of the Third Colonial Conflict (50 years before current show's events) and how the invention of the Cylons helped to save the planet Caprica and other Caprican-allied colonies (love the irony in that, huh?). William Adama would be only 10 years old. His father (Joseph) was a lawyer, but I suspect young Bill had aunts/uncles in the military. It was them who inspired young Bill to join the military. Caprican victory over the rogue colony of Saggitaran helped to push Cylon innovation into every facet of society. Especially amongst the corrupt upper class of the 12 Colonies. Kinda like how WWII mobilization techniques translated over into the civilian marketplace after the war.

14. capnfatpants

capnfatpants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2006
    Hopefully Season 4 will be better than season 3....

15. HoosierTrooper

Aug 1, 2006
    Speaking of season 4, IGN has a review with Jamie Bamber and he had this to say about that season:

:_| :_| :_| [face_praying]

16. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Television is a fickle beast. Shows are judged by four main areas.

1. Ratings

2. Shares

3. Commercial success

4. Critical merit

The first two items involve math so I won't lecture on them. Moving on to the more subjective.

Commercial success can be internal and/or external. The internal component is based on sales of product that directly tie into a shows cast, set, props. The external component is based on top commercial spots being sought in connection to a show, but not really having any 'in-universe' variable. The commercial success factor is based on what a wide cross-section of Humanity likes. It involves the mainstream appeal of a given show and is not all that different from the concept of the popular vote in politics.

Critical merit is given to shows that meet artistic and/or social needs. Critical merit is often independent of mainstream opinion. If a given show makes use of story and/or spectacle in a skillfull way it will attract positive support from professional circles.

The new version of Battlestar Galactica certainly has plenty of critical merit. The real question is whether or not BG is a commercial success? The answer depends partly on the rating and share equation. Beyond the math one must ask if BG appeals easily to a mainstream audience? I doubt that it does. BG is not a warm fuzzy show. BG takes itself and the audience seriously. BG often is very subversive on all manner of issues.

So this brings us down to the 4th season and whether or not it will be BG's final season. It very well might be. Low ratings/shares might be a factor, but I think it more likely Sci-Fi Channel and Ronald Moore understand that old idea of 'stepping down at the top of your game' (Farscape for example). Ending a show that naturally finds resolution to it's basic premise is a victory for critical merit versus commercial success. Instead of pushing a show beyond it's relevancy the producers might opt to go out as the story arc dictates rather than a constant milking of a dead cow (Trek anyone?). I'd rather BG follow in the footsteps of Babylon 5 and find a pre-determined stopping point. I hope BG follows Babylon 5's lead and settles for QUALITY television over QUANITY television.
    [face_thinking]

17. yoda_pimp

yoda_pimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    Like how the X-Files went on way too long? Giving BG a predefined end date will help keep the story focus on it's resolution. It will sad to see BG go, but hey we still have a movie, season 4, and Caprica coming so we won't be totally S.O.L. for BG.

18. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Yeah the success of X-Files went to 20th Century Fox's head. Thus the series became a spoiling side of cow flesh with those pretty green flies crawling all over. BZZZ! BZZZ! Nice call Yoda Pimp. Add the X-Files next to Trek as good things gone sour - all for the bottomline.
    [face_skull]
    [face_cow]
    [face_sick]

19. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    SPECIAL CIC ANNOUNCEMENT-

Ron Moore (BG's producer) has announced the content of the special 2 hour BG movie that will be released in Fall of 2007.

The special 2 hour movie will focus on the background of Admiral Cain and the Battlestar Pegasus. This means we will see how Cain and her battlestar survived the beginning of the Second Cylon War.

The special 2 hour movie will also have some connections to season 4's content!

SPECULATION-

I'm a 'tech/fleet junkie'. I love starships. This special 2 hour movie may have the destruction of the Colonial Fleet on-camera! If you'll remember the opening TV-movie for the new BG did not show that battle. It was off-camera and we only got to see a bit of the aftermath (debris in orbit).

According to Admiral Cain the Battlestar Pegasus was in drydock in orbit of the colony Scorpia when the Cylons began their attacks. Somehow Cain managed to get the Pegasus out of harm's way. She never delved into her tactics - other than making a jump to hyperspace blind.

Other things we'll likely see is how Cain used her military might to detain civilian ships. Oh and let's not forget the Number 6 model that was captured by Cain's crew.

I think I might know the connection this special 2 hour movie will have to season 4. It might be a recycled sub-plot from the classic TV show. Only now this particular sub-plot is revised for a 21st century audience. The sub-plot I'm refering to involved the classic TV show's Pegasus-Cain-Iblis mix.

See the idea back in the late 70s was that after Cain and the Pegasus went after two Cylon basestars it was destroyed - but not quite. The idea was that Cain and his crew were instead captured by the Cylons with supernatural aide in the form of Count Iblis (aka Satan). That Cain and crew would return as bait to lure the Galactica to her doom. The Galactica would also have had supernatural aide in the form of the "Beings of Light' (aka 'Angels').
    [face_devil] VS.O:)

As you all know by now revised 'Beings of Light' have been introduced into the new version of BG. The question is might the revised 'Beings of Light' have a place in the story of the revised Pegasus's survival?
    [face_thinking]

Oh and don't forget tonight (Sunday) is the final episode of third season! It promises to be a 'kick-to-the-head'!
    :D

20. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    OK nuggets time to visit Wikipedia. Look up 'All Along The Watchtower'. Match what you read there to the events seen in 'Crossroads Part 2'. Not just the song's lyrics, but the meaning behind the song. The producers have indeed picked a very interesting song to accompany the game that is afoot. Fans of classic BG take note I think we are seeing a seriously revised 'War Of The Gods' developing. PM me if you want me to explain that.

21. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    FRAK FRAK FRAK FRAK OMG DYLAN HENDRIX FRAK FRAK FRAK FRAKING FOUR CYLONS AND KARA'S ALIVE FRAK OH FRAK ME FRAKINNG FRAKG FARAK FAKRA FLUFFY KITTIES FRAK FRAK FRAK!

as soon as saul said his line, I just about said GODSDAMMIT WHAT NO NO DYLAN DYLAN IS NOT A CYLON!

22. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Bob Dylan most likely is not a Cylon.

Peter Frampton on the other hand might very well be a Cylon.

[face_skull]

[face_laugh]

23. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    I'm just waiting for a fangirly SQUEEEE from lady Jediravenclaw.

waiting...

waiting...

[face_whistling]

24. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Um, she's in england, remember? :p

25. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    (in my best Emperor Palpatine voice)
    A mere planetary ocean can not stop the power of a fangirly SQUEEE. We'll feel that globe circling shockwave just you wait and see.
    [face_shame_on_you]
    [face_skull]

waiting...

waiting...

[face_whistling]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.