main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Battlestar Galactica Discussion Thread (non-spoilers)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Mr_Self_Destrukt, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_TKD

Darth_TKD Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Very true!

2. exit_seraphim

exit_seraphim Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2007
    I exist! ... and so does KARA!!!!!

My fan girly squee erupted at approx. 10:30 last night that shook the entirely of the Manor. i think I may have hurt jediravenclaw's ears. Hah, ha, my ship lives! There are many, many theories floating about in my mind at the moment in reference to the big reveal of the four which probably should have shocked me more than it did. I will eventually post the entirety of my theories, but I would like some time to think them all out.

I would like to mention that I originally agreed with Ulkesh's theory about them being replacements. I believed it would have been most likely that they would have been replaced while on New Caprica as they were all on the surface during that time, but as was Tyrol said, they were cylons from the beginning and as he is more than likely refering the destruction of the 12 colonies, I decided to strike the idea.

There is a new theroy, but like I said it needs to worked out.

3. jediravenclaw

jediravenclaw Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004
    My roommate exists only from the deepest, darkest dephs of the library, rofl ^_^

4. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
  5. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Ronald Moore has said that the 'final five' Cylons are different from the other seven 'skinjobs'.

Why are they different?

1. In the case of Saul Tigh - they age.

2. Again in the case of Saul Tigh - he existed before the first generation Cylons ever existed. So how can Tigh be a Cylon?

3. Even after discovery of their Cylon nature each of the four seems to want to remain loyal to the Colonial military. This is shakey because we know a few Sharon models also opted to remain loyal to the Colonial military.

4. As far as we know only Tigh, Tyrol, Anders, and Tory could hear Bob Dylan-like song. What about Sharon and Caprica 6.

SPECULATION-

Option 1. At some point in the lives of the Tigh, Tyrol, Anders, and Tory they were replaced with Cylon created clones (of both mind and body). There is precedent for Cylon made clones of both mind and body. In the comic book series a medivac shuttle carrying Humans was found. These Humans were all on record as having died well before the Fall of the Twelve Colonies. These Humans were called the Returners by the Galactica crew. A Cylon made clone of Zac Adama was one of these Returners. It could be that the 'final five' were the prototypes for the Returners. The 'final five' and the Returners in turn were a forerunner project to the seven 'skinjobs'.

Option 2. The Cylons developed a nanotech model (not unlike the Cylon Raider fightercraft, the new generation Basestars, and the Hybrid - only microscopic) that works like a virus or bacteria. At some point the four were infected with this nanotech model. It can 'rewrite' DNA and produce false memory or mask memory. Works much like the creature from the John Carpenter remake of The Thing.

Option 3. The 'final five' are highly evolved reactivated ancient Kobollian 'proto-cylons'. These ancient A.I. in their true form are glowing figures of light. These particular five 'Beings of Light' made a choice to forget their true selves and live as normal Humans. That is until the time was right for the 'Plan'.

Of these three options I think the first one seems the most likely. Mainly because it fits with officially sanctioned merchandise. Keep in mind the novels and comic books are considered parts of a multi-media puzzle (like Shadows Of The Empire was for SW back in 1996). So in this case the comic book storyline was a clue.

Now let us turn to the question of who is the fifth member of the 'final five'. The answer is Boxey. This information was provided by the officially sanctioned BG novel titled Saggitarus Is Bleeding. I think the producers are pulling a St. Elsewhere on us. It also fits well with that old Judeo-Christian line about a child leading them. It may mean that Boxey is a stand-in persona for a young Glen Larson or Ronald Moore. It might be that Glen Larson first dreamed up Adam's Ark (classic BG's original title) in 1967 (year of Bob Dylan's All Along The Watch Tower). Or if it does not fit Glen Larson then it may be a young Ronald Moore watching the classic BG and then years later driving to meet Bonnie Hammer (Sci-Fi Channel CEO) to discuss reinventing BG. Along the way Ronald Moore is listening to Bob Dylan's All Along The Watchtower. This is called breaking down the fourth wall in theatre speak.

6. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    By the way Nuggets-

The composer of BG's music has said the season 3 DVD set and season 3 soundtrack are scheduled to be released in August!

:D

Hope the BG version of Bob Dylan's All Along THe Watchtower is included on the soundtrack!

[face_peace]

7. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Are you sure BD is the singer of "Watch Tower?"

Edit: Sorry, my mistake, Jimi Hendricks did the cover tune, but it is definitely BD's original creation.

8. GeekGoddess

GeekGoddess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    This sounds plausible. I'm sure there would have been plenty of times in their lives when they could have been snagged, offed, and replaced, and no one would have known. I'd have to argue about the aging thing with Tigh though. It could have been possible to have gotten their DNA and made already aged skinjobs, I mean come-on.... look at Cabil... Dean Stockwell ain't exactly young anymore, and with the exception of Boxey, the Cylons are all adults anyway. OK, maybe if they needed to age the copies, they could have collected their DNA back when they were young, or something. The tricky part is how they would have downloaded a human consciencousness into a Cylon one. Maybe that's where the nanites would fit in. Maybe they were all injected at a very early age and the nanites were able to collect, process, and then transfer all the neural activity that makes up memory and personalty to the copies.

Or heck, maybe the Beings of Light just possed them.

9. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Sorry, but when was Dean Stockwell EVER young? :p

10. Mike-El

Mike-El Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2006
    I think he looks 5-10 yrs younger in Dune.

11. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    I've been a sci-fi geek for as long as I can remember and this show has completely lost me - and I understood Babylon 5 and 2001!

Edric

12. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005

What if they posses an ancient genetic marker and the source of the tune they hear is from a beacon left behind by the lost tribe?

Different topic:
    When will the "Ship of Light" come into the picture? In the old series and one of the novels by Richard Hatch, members of the Adama family were translated onto the "Ship of Light" when they died. Will this be maintained in the new series?

In case you're wondering what I mean by "translated" it is a religious term used to describe someone who steps off of the Earth and directly into Heaven. Much like Enoch, Elijah, and those taken in the biblical rapture. (Note: I mean no offence to our pagan friends and am NOT trying to turn this into a religious discussion)

13. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    I hope not. :p

There are limits to what I'll believe even in the universe of a Sci-fi tv programme.

14. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Ronald Moore stated that Bob Dylan of the Thirteenth Colony and a performer from the Twelve Colonies were unknowingly linked by musical inspiration. It is no fluke that the latest BG novel (titled Unity) was released near the third season finale. This novel features a popular singer from the Twelve Colonies. His name is Peter Attis. My speculation is that Dylan and Attis were on the same wavelength despite being many lightyears apart. There must be something in the song that hints at the direction of the fourth season. The 'Beings of Light' - Lords of Kobol hold the key to this wavelength connection.

15. OBI-GYN-KENOBI

OBI-GYN-KENOBI Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2007
    Maybe Peter Attis is a total burner and he and Jimmie Hendicks are on the same wavelength.

16. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Could be Dylan and Hendrix both dabbled in mind expansion substances. The performer from the Twelve Colonies most likely used Cammala Root (like Pres.Roslin - only for said mond expansion and not cancer). If this be the case then once again the new BG is delving into controversial territory (taking droogs). Shades of Dune's spice power in Cammala Root.

17. capnfatpants

capnfatpants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2006
    I think next season they should add a classic cylon character that works for the humans, and a Daggit character.
    Or maybe a Daggit that works for the cylons [face_worried]

18. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    I did miss some of the old school cameos from seasons past. There is just something cool about a serviceman whistling the old theme or a glimpse of the chromey cylons in the museum.

It can't be that hard to show a wide shot of civilians on the hangar deck and a child holding a daggit just for nostalgia's sake.

19. capnfatpants

capnfatpants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2006
    Yeah that kind of stuff is neat, and a nod to the fans.

I think a re-imagining of the Daggits would be kinda interesting though.

Maybe they are a type of animal seen in the distance on one of the planets they stop at to collect foodstuffs. Maybe pull an Ewok on the fans, and have the cylons the attack the colonials dirtside on a planet, and the Daggits attack the cylons. How ROTJ would that be!! [face_laugh]

20. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Back before the start of season three I remember reading interviews with BG's producers. They said season three would reveal more about Cylons and new kinds of Cylon tech. Well as a result I thought they'd give us a new 'chromejob' model. One shaped like a guard dog. These theoritical Cylon hounds would be patrolling the New Caprica perimeter. Any escaping Humans would be intercepted by the Cylon hounds and ripped to shreds. So in a manner of speaking (er, uh...writing) the Cylon hounds of my theory would be the revised 'daggits'. That never came to pass. As it turned out the new kinds of Cylon tech included the Cylon Basestar Hybrids.

Another way the producers might give us a revised 'daggit' is through the Caprica prequel. The invention of Cylon technology helped to end the Third Colonial Conflict (much as the atomic bomb helped to end WWII). After the war industry turned to the civilian market with Cylon technology. Before long Cylon technology was everywhere and in all shapes and sizes. Some of the earliest products with Cylon technology were toys. It might be that one of these toys derived from Cylon technology was a 'daggit' (not unlike a Furbie or Tickle-Me-Elmo). It would be really neat if ten year old William Adama had a Cylon 'daggit' toy.

Yeah I can see it now. Toward the end of Caprica's first season the Cylon 'daggit' toy pulls a Maximum Overdrive. It tries to kill ten year old William Adama. The boy shows future promise as a destroyer of Cylons when he manages to kill his cybernetic pet. Now that is REVISEMENT of a classic BG element. HEH-HEH-HEH.
    [face_skull]

21. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Kesh, old buddy old pal, that sounds an awful lot like ROBOSAPIEN :p

22. jediravenclaw

jediravenclaw Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004

>.>
    <.<
    [face_kind-of-scared-right-now]

Thread Status: