main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Battlestar Galactica discussion...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kahlan72, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    So I'm watching the series, and haven't seen it before. It's been all I hoped for so far. Good characters, great story, not bad effects. Let this be a place where those of us who don't know what happens, or who do, and can shutup, can discuss :)

My first thing is what has the actor playing Geyer (sp?) been in? My brain keeps saying the doctor from Deep Space Nine, but it's not.

And I keep expecting the president to get picked up by Will Smith and taken to the REAL president who will be there when she dies ( Independence Day )

( You know I should really start using the internet to answer these questions for myself. LOL )

SO anything you want to discuss??

2. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I love this show. Love it. I watched part of the original series, and it was average. Around the pilots space helmets they have fairy lights, and the Cylons look like poorly constructed stormtroopers with a red eye thingy. I loved the "33 Minutes" thing.

3. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Oh yeah the 33 minute thing. Sure keeps the tension. Actually at work the other day we were having computer problems, the database would be usuable for a bout 2 minutes then go off for 3, and I compared it to the 33 minute thing in BS. Most people just went "what is she on about"

But really, could you really stay awake for 5 days and be able to do that sort of battle situation stuff?

4. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    My first thing is what has the actor playing Geyer (sp?) been in? My brain keeps saying the doctor from Deep Space Nine, but it's not.

You mean Gaius Baltar. He has that Bashir feel to him, but it?s not Alexander Siddig. Gaius is played by an English actor named James Callis. He?s been in Bridget Jones?s Diary and several TV movies.

I love the BSG tagline ? ?Never create what you can?t control.?

The most interesting factor in the new series Cylons is their belief in ?God?. I think that?s definitely going to be explored.

I?m a fan of the original series, which is supposed to be a spoof. It?s a little slice of - albeit repetitive - fun.

Ams [face_love]

5. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    Tried forcing myself to watch it, but it was so fricken boring, badly acted, and too many plot changes from the original. Not that I really remember the original much, but the fact that they have completely changed the concept of the cylons, from being a lizard-like alien race in suits to being man-made robots, and then making the robots look human to boot, completely screwed it.
    About the only redeeming feature is the way the vipers manouvre, with the nose thrusters etc., that's pretty cool, and realistic.
    No emotion or feeling to the thing. And I honestly tried to stick with it, but I've given up. Things like this are the reason we don't see any new primetime sci-fi stuff - they make a completely crap, hyped-up one, no-one watches it 'cause it's crap, so they figure no-one is interested in sci-fi. When it's actually 'cause no one is interested in crap!

6. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    I feel as though you judge it too harshly, and second it is no worse then your average soap opera that is prevalent on today?s television. In fact I would say that acting and other such production issues that you stated are way above average for this show than your average soapy. Thus, saying that these shows never get enough air time because they are badly written, or poorly acted is ludicrous as that does not explain why "Home and Away" (a show full of dare I say? Bad acting), is still airing after all these years. After all if you were to judge such things solely on production values then your argument does indeed fall apart.

7. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Rogue Streak, you are by all means entitled to your opinions, and I respect your right to express your views about anything. So keep that in mind when I express my opinion that you are certifiably insane muchacho! Did you even watch the same show??? The Sci-Fi genre, and narrative storytelling in general, rarely reach the heights shown in the new Battle Star Galactica.

The reason that we don't get new Sci-Fi in 'prime-time' is because the viewing public, have been conditioned to relish the mundane and formulaic 'cool' of junk like the OC. I also bring your attention to such putrid programmes as Boston Public, CSI, Law & Order,and all the various reality shows out there.

I'm sorry, but I prefer my characters with a little depth, and not cut straight out of a comic book. To add to that, I actually like to be kept guessing, by plot twists that I didn't see riding in from the horizon. And, to top it all off, I don't particularly want every, single, thing, pointed out to me, cos whilst others here may argue the point, I know for a fact that I'm not retarded. Regarding all of these points I've mentioned, Battle Star Galactica is a dead set winner, a gem, and it really is your loss if you can't recognize that Rogue.

8. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
  9. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I thought about the issue of why most if not all Sci-Fi shows get poor showing and I did come to the conclusion of advertising, or the lack of. I've come to this as I can recall that though I did remember which channel Battlestar Galactica was to be aired I could not remember the time. Thus I left the channel on in the hopes of coming across the ad which would tell me.

It took an hour and half before the ad for the series was finally aired or there a bouts. And during this time I can tell you that every Crime, Medical, or Soapy show got a plug just about every add break. Why then does, so the add go, that if so many people are going nuts over the new Battlestar is it only getting one plug within an hour and a half? Not so many I would think.

What was it? Twenty million viewers or something can't be wrong? May sound impressive but I ask you, what is the total population of this country anyway? Does said figure even make a sizable dint in it? I doubt it.

However I guess I better let it be known what my personal opinion of this show is. As I have seemed to have neglected to say as such in my posts. Well I must admit that I was not very impressed at first. Being that I have a lot of fond memories of the original I did find the changes were a little hard to take. Never the less over repeated viewings I have to say that taken on it's own it is a very impressive show.

I also can see why the changes were made in this current version. Certainly the way the twelve colonies were destroyed in the original was kind of weak, so this version makes more sense in this regard. Over all though, I am finding that I am enjoying the show very much. Needless to say last weeks episode was certainly interesting, and did make me feel impatient for the next.

10. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    What was it? Twenty million viewers or something can't be wrong? May sound impressive but I ask you, what is the total population of this country anyway? Does said figure even make a sizable dint in it? I doubt it.

Okay, you?ve confused me, G. Which country? Australia? Twenty million IS our population. The Battlestar Galactica Miniseries was watched by 1.1 million people per part according to Ten Corporate. In their ad, they said ?Watched by over 2 million people? (that?s not true, but hey, this is publicity). Ten is at least trying to create hype for BSG. That?s better than Seven?s treatment of Stargate SG-1 (they?ve taken to not even doing promos for the end of the current season and they don?t include the show in their ?Amazing Thursday?) and Nine?s treatment of Enterprise (It?s on 1AM Thursday).

I third casual_jedi.

Ams [face_love]

11. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Probably the most impressive aspect to the show for me is that it's managed to highlight a real human side to the characters. Take the Baltar character for example, he's not just an out and out villain, he's conflicted and guilt-ridden. Like normal human beings would be if they'd found out that their actions had caused their race's near extinction. This sort of depth is layered so evenly across all the characters. So much so that in the event of a character's death, the viewer is made to really feel for them.

Also impressive is the way the battle scenes are shot in a mock-documentary style. Really capturing the chaos of warfare in the silence of space. The choice of music during these sequences also adds to the same vibe. In a lot of ways, the Space and Battle sequences are reminicent of another recent Sci-Fi gem, Joss Whedon's Firefly. However, by far my favourite part of the show is that there are absolutely no Arrogant, Smart Talkin', Crime Solvin', Forensic Investigatin' Polymath 'ToolBags' to be found.

12. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    fourth Casual but hey! leave goren out of it!! (was that doogie howser on criminal intent last night??) (bah - goren is losing is edge anyway.. even doogie couldn't keep me interested I have to admit)

The biggest problem with sci fi is that those who don't watch it think it's fantasty (and hence only black-clad, death-metal listening, dungeons and dragons playing, pasty faced, spotty gits could possibly be interested) while those of us who do watch it realise it is allegory.

I was a big fan of the original. But then, I saw it on first run, prime time Friday nights rather than on repeats or foxtel or what have you.

13. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    ...and just to be pedantic to Rogue-Streak's comments here;
    The Cylons were originally written (in the original novel anyway) to be reptillians wearing armoured suits but were later changed to be robots created by the original reptillian Cylons. So, really it's not that big a change from the 'original' series.

14. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Sorry for the confusion Ams, but as I couldn't remember the exact figure of either the advertisment or that of our population I took a wild stab in the dark. Least I got the number 2 in the equation
    ;) :p

Anyhoo, my point was that the so called huge figure that was indicated by the ad to impress us was missleading in view of the larger population of the country.

15. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    I vote we lynch Rogue, just for fun LOL

It took me a little while to realise why I LOVE the battle scenes so much and is the quietness. My husband all but cheered that they'd finally worked out that there is minimal noise in space LOL.

16. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    I like this program. I might keep watching it.

17. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Actually after rewatching it a few times I have noted that there is not a complete absence of noise during the space scenes. The cylon ships still make that rather distinctive noise when they pass camera. As well as the air jets or whatever they are still make a hissing sound when they activate on the Colonial Vipers. I also noted that every ship that made a hyper jump made a distinctive sound as well. Ok, maybe I'm being picky but hey we all have our off days

:p

18. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    ... Just wait until Serenity hits theatres later this year/early next year and you'll see heaps of ships cutting through space and blasting each other without a single sound effect (the way it should be).

19. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Now that's news I am excited to hear :D

20. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    You see Kahli, my dilemma with the Goren character is that I actually like Vincent Donofrio. So I don't see him as being so bad, I'm actually talking more about the CSI 'toolbags' and the SVU 'toolbags'. Phew, that's a lotta toolbags!

Anyways, back to BsG, who else thinks that Katee Sackhoff is kinda hot in a 'TomBoy' sort of way???

21. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    And that apollo is kinda 'not' in a 'john-boy' kinda way?

22. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    I read an early review of serenity , i'm exicted about it!

23. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Katee is very hot...in a tomboy sort of way.

24. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Gah! We've degraded yet again! :p

25. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Oh, don't be such a stick in the mud Pastor Grieyls. :p

We're just admiring Starbuck's tomboy charms...
    Surely the lord sees no harm in that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.