main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Battlestar Galactica discussion...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kahlan72, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    The last 3 episodes have been pretty weak to be honest. I'm looking forward to some Miniseries/Season 1/Sometimes a Great Notion quality for the finale.

Also, BSG is now available on iTunes! (Whoever thought this day would come!) The quality is pretty good. Plus, if you are on iinet, it's unmetered.

2. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    That ****ing show.

3. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    :eek: at this show.

4. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    You know, I was thinking about getting into this show again, seeing as everybody loves it so much. I suppose season 5 is as good a place to start as any!
    :D

5. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I'm gonna assume you're being ironic CJ because...

THERE'S NO MORE BSG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :_|

I'm sure everyone is still going over their impressions and thoughts after the last episode and I don't feel like going into specifics so no spoilers or reverse highlighting will follow.

I feel disappointed a little but I think that's only because I feel sad that the show is done and there's no-way it could've ended with everything being neatly examined, discussed and completed. Some things I hoped for didn't occur, but the answers were there, and "fair enough" type ones they were.

The first hour or so was amazing and I'm looking forward to seing that part again as a stand alone episode. Hopefully I'll breathe through it this time and not yell at the tv.

I watched Razor today and it is a little hard to watch old episodes knowing what the furure holds and where everyone gets to.

*Raises glass

A great series that has been part of our last 4 years and kept our faith in decent sci fi tv.
    We won't see it's like again...nor should they TRY! So say we all.

Bye BSG.
    End of line.

6. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Here's an interview from after the show was shown in the U.S. Goood to see pretty much everything we talked about afterward was spot on...

Part one -

From here http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2009/03/battlestar-galactica-ronald-d-moore.html

After Sci Fi Channel screened the "Battlestar Galactica" series finale for the press on Monday evening, there was a brief press conference featuring producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, and stars Mary McDonnell and Edward James Olmos. Later in the evening, I asked Moore some additional questions about the finale. After the jump, some highlights from the press conference (really only from Moore and Eick), and then a transcript of the solo interview with Moore. To read my review of the finale, click here.

Post-finale press conference

(All questions will be paraphrased, since I only asked the first one)

(On what the second Kara actually was, and whether we all went down a rabbit hole when we assumed that Kara was the daughter of Daniel the missing eighth Cylon)

Moore: Daniel was definitely a rabbit hole, and it was an unintentional rabbit hole, to be honest... (Daniel) was always intended to be an interesting bit of backstory about Cavil, as a Cain and Abel allegory. And people started seizing on it as some major part of the mythology... and it was never intended to take that kind of load-bearing weight.

Eick: It's kind of like Boxey in that way.

Moore: It's exactly like Boxy. Kara, I think, is whatever you want her to be. It's easy to put that label on her: Angel, or Messenger of God, or whatever. Kara Thrace died and was resurrected and came back and took the people to their final end. That was her role, her destiny on the show... We debated back and forth in the writers' room for a while on giving it more definition, and saying, definitively, "This is what she is," and we decided that the more you try to outline it and give voice to it and put a name on it, the less interesting it became. We just decided this was the most interesting way to go out, with her disappearing without trying to name what she was.

(On whether any of the Cavils, Simons or Dorals survived the attack on the Colony)

Moore: The final (edit) came out a little less clear on that level than I sort of intended... The idea was that when Racetrack hits the nukes, they smack into the Colony and it takes it out of the stream swirling around the singularity, and it fell in (to the singularity) and was torn apart. But as we were cutting the show for time, and taking out frames, one of the things that became less apparent was that the Colony was doomed. The intention was that everyone aboard the Colony perished.

(On when and why he decided to have the fleet wind up discovering our Earth in the distant past)

Moore: We decided that a couple of years ago... I don't think we ever had a version of the show where they wound up in the future, or the present. Those didn't seem as interesting. In the early going, we started talking about the fact that we would see a lot of contemporary things in the show, from language to wardrobe to all kinds of production design. That only made sense to us if a lot of the things we see in the show you feel are taken from our contemporary world were actually from their world and spread through the eons and came to us through the collective unconscious, or from (what Lee said about) "We will give them the best part of ourselves."

Eick: There was a time we were talking about, "They land and there are pterodactyls and tyrannosaurus rex." But it was the idea that they were part of the genis of humankind, and this seemed the more affordable way to do it than going "Jurassic Park."

Moore: The image of Six walking through Times Square, we came up with a long time ago.

(On what happened to destroy the original Earth)

Moore: The backstory of the original Earth was supposed to be that the 13th tribe of Cylons came to that world, started over, and essentially destroyed themselves. There was some internecine warfare among the Cylons themselves that was suppo

7. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    part 2 -

Ron Moore interview

When I talked to you at summer TCA, I ran through that checklist of unanswered questions.

Oh, yeah! What do you think?

You nailed pretty much every one. I think people are going to debate about Kara.

I accept that. I knew, when I decided this was as much as we were going to say about Kara, I said, "People are going to be ***ed."

I don't want to spend too much time on Daniel, but did you realize that you were giving Kara's father this name that was so similar to Daniel?

That I had no idea. I only found that out online. I went, "Is that true? I guess it is." It's one of those things where you're inside the show and doing it, you don't realize that people are going to seize on this detail and it gets a life of its own. When I saw that stuff spreading online, I was really astonished. "Really? Daniel? They're obsessed with Daniel." So I started telling every interviewer, "Please tell people not to focus on Daniel, because they're really going to be disappointed."

This was a very dark, very bleak show, that had, for the most part, a happy ending. Were you ever tempted to go the dark way? Why did you decide to end it the way you did tonally?

I guess I always assumed it was going to end on some sort of note of salvation -- that they would find a home and be okay, at least some of them. I didn't want to end the series like "Beneath the Planet of the Apes," with the destruction of everybody. Although that's what Eddie wanted to do. Eddie kept pitching me that they come to Earth in contemporary times, and everyone's cheering and happy, and cut to the White House and the President goes, "Nuke 'em!" And they destroy Galactica -- cut to credits. And people say I'm dark!

I was literally never tempted to go that way. I always felt that however brutal the show was, and how bleak it felt in moments, it was never nihilistic. It was never about saying that people are irredeemable. It was about trying to be honest about people, saying, "Look at us. We are capable of all these things. Really good people do horrible things and horrible people do good things."

Given how often you used the show to comment on current events or, at least, draw current events in the show, do you feel that the finale in any way speaks to what's happening now?

Only in the sense of where it finally ends up in the very end: the robotics and where we are about to be technologically. I just saw something the other day with a scientist saying we're going to have a true (artificial intelligence) within five years or something crazy. Or these Japanese robots that look like the woman in the finale, they're getting more currency. It's been an old saw in science fiction for a long time, since Frankenstein, that we're going to create life that's going to turn on us. Well, we're right there, and we should probably really think about these things and understand the door we're about to go through.

I'm curious about a few characters' final fates. You very easily could have gotten away with Helo sacrificing his life so Athena could go after Hera, but they got the happy ending in the end.

There were two things. One, originally when we were breaking the story, Athena and Helo were both going to die to save Hera. And then I felt sort of unsatisfied about that. I really wanted that family unit to survive to the end. So in the script, when Helo gets shot in the corridor and he's left, I didn't intend it to be a cliffhanger of "is he going to die?" I just kept writing it, and there wasn't a moment to establish he was okay. And when Tahmoh read the script, he got that point and said, "Oh, (bleep), I'm dead." And when he got to the end, he was surprised.

And then it becomes this tearjerking moment when you see the three of them off in the distance (on Africa) and you realize he survived and they're intact.

And when Tahmoh had that reaction, I decided, "Well, now I definitely don't want to establish that he's okay," because I wanted people to have that same reaction.

Well, did anyone else almost die and then you

8. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    What an incredible, bittersweet journey it has been. So long, Battlestar, and thanks for all the fraks. We'll miss you.

So say we all!

9. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    We're planning on having one of our beer and steak debriefs at the usual place this Thursday if anyone else is interested.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

10. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Well I guess we can use this thread for discussion of Caprica...

And no blocking out..just don't read any further unless you've watched it!!!

I thought it was interesting, and my first thoughts were that it was really good, although naked people dancing was still in my head.

It was good though, liked the Cylon construction progress and the interrelationships between the friends and familues. Mr Adama's character and journey appeals the most currently.

Well worth the watch. Long live BSG.

11. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Caprica is kind of weird and slow at first, but about halfway in things start getting interesting, and by the end I was quite impressed with how well it ties in with the themes and core ideas of its parent show. I'm not entirely sure how they're going to sustain it over an extended series, as opposed to a miniseries, but I'm definitely keen to see where things go from here. We've got almost 50 years of history to cover before we catch up with where we started, so I'm curious to see how tight the continuity is. Will it be playing straight through, or are we going to see big jumps in time as the series progresses?

Still, definitely worth watching. Stick with it through the peculiar first half, things get much more interesting in the second.

12. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Season 4 part 2 doean't even come out til August??? that's crazy! I jsut want to buy the whole lot at once. Seems like that'll be a long way off.

Alos desiring to watch an episode or two around the escape from New Caprica after seeing a youtube montage that Matt posted. I didn't rewatch any of the earlier stuff before the last season's ending..not too early to revisit osme for me.

13. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Yes I'm a slow poke, but I've FINALLY seen the season 4.2! Wooo! Matt and I marathoned the entire show from the miniseries to the end whilst he was visiting for 10 days of leave.

It was amazing! There were so many revalations, and so many surprises. And then lots of unsurprises. But it was great! I'm glad it got to finish on it's own terms, but I'm sad that it's all over :(

I think it's safe to say there will never be another show like it. Ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.