FF:NZ Battlestar Galactica [Off Topic]

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Buzz-Bumble, Feb 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4

It looks like we going to be seeing a rew/revived series of Battlestar Galactica on our TV screens in the not-too-distant future. Hopefully they don't stuff it all up.

Quote Starts -------

Singer To Revive Galactica

X-Men director Bryan Singer will reinvent an updated Battlestar Galactica television series for Studios USA, which inherited the rights to the 1970s cult SF show from Universal, Variety reported. Singer has made a deal with Studios USA to executive produce it with his X-Men partner Tom DeSanto, the trade paper reported.

Singer will also direct the pilot if it doesn't conflict with his plans to helm X-Men 2. The studio is finalizing deals with show runners and will shop the series to networks shortly, though USA said it might work out an arrangement to share the show with The SCI FI Channel, Variety reported. Studios USA and SCI FI are both owned by USA Networks, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

The original series, starring Lorne Greene, was created by Glen Larson and ran on ABC for two seasons starting in 1978. Larson is attached to the new series, but Singer's plans would appear to torpedo earlier efforts to revive Galactica by original series star Richard Hatch (not the Survivor winner).

USA Television Production Group president David Kissinger told Variety that he received frequent e-mails from fans, but never considered reviving the series until Singer approached him. "I never dreamed a filmmaker of Bryan's stature would be enough of a hard-core fan that he saw this as a franchise that could be reinvented," Kissinger told the trade paper. "In the initial meeting, I was wary that he might be just another feature guy looking to slap his name on a TV project, but it was immediately clear this wasn't so. He's got a whole mythology and arc for the series already worked out."

New Galactica To Look Ahead

Dan Pasternack, the Studios USA television executive shepherding Bryan Singer's proposed new Battlestar Galactica series, told SCI FI Wire that the show will likely pick up the story after the events of the original 1970s series. "It's a little bit premature, and we're in the very early creative inception," Pasternack said in an interview. "I will tell you that Bryan Singer's intent is to be very faithful to the spirit and legacy of the original show. I think his intent is creatively to go forward in time as the saga has continued in his mind."

No scripts have been written yet for the new show, but Pasternack said it's likely the show will not feature characters from the original series, except the Cylons. "I think it's safe to say you can't do Battlestar Galactica without Cylons," he said. "But what our relationship to the Cylons will be, I can't say."

Pasternack added that no one involved in talks about the new series has had any conversations with original Galactica star Richard Hatch (Apollo), who has been trying to mount his own revival of the series. But series creator Glen Larson is on board in an advisory capacity. "Bryan and Glen sat down," Pasternack said. "We wanted to make sure this union was very blessed by Glen. ... He has blessed this and wants to see it go forward. ... We want to make sure that respect is paid."

Singer will bring on writers to help him and partner Tom DeSanto come up with scripts for the new show, which Pasternack said will be conceived on an epic scale and make use of up-to-the-minute special-effects technology. "I can assure you [Singer] is very committed to adhering to that which came before," he said. "He's not looking to take it in any direction that would be disappointing to the fans of the original show." Among other things, Pasternack said it's possible the Galactica will find itself on an entirely new mission. "I don't know if [finding Earth] is the goal in this show. ... We could be on a different exodus."

Pasternack--who admitted to collecting Galactica trading cards and action figures as a boy--said that Studios USA hopes the show will air on a broadcast network and also on The SCI FI Channel in the same way the studio's Law & Orde
  2. SWNZ Jedi Master

star 4
    Never been a real fan of Battle star but I might just have to watch out for it.
    Thanks for the Goss.
  3. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    I heard at one stage they were going to re-release the old series with New Special Effects and CG starships etc...

I think it'll be great to see a revival, no matter what they decide to do.
  4. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    ...and I hope they keep the original music...
  5. Buzz-Bumble Jedi Master

star 4
    For many years, Richard Hatch (Apollo) has tried to revive the show and has kept it alive publishing books etc. He even has a trailer for a new series which he's been showing at conventions, but nobody in Hollywood or TV-land has been interested.

This new revival has only just begun the ideas stage, but so far it looks like it going to be a "Battlestar Galactica: The Next Generation" - which may not be too bad.

We'll have to wait until about 2003 to see.
  6. Norrad_Roff Force Ghost

star 4
    I hope the "Next Generation" of Cylons are going to be better, stronger ,faster and not as dumb.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.