main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Battlestar Galactica Second Half Of Season 3 Photos

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Ulkesh2, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Hey Nuggets a website called...

the-CIC.net

has images from the second half of season 3.

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

Two of the images include five figures wearing bright white robes. These figures are standing in a semi-circle around the Lucy Lawless model. The backdrop behind the figures is that of the opera house or the temple seen in the episode Eye Of Jupiter. The spoiler is that these white-robed figures may be the revised version of the Beings of Light (Angels) from the classic show! Only in the new show we have the added layer of subtle mystery that ties into the final five 'Skinjobs'. Other images have Baltar half submerged in the basin where the Cylon Basestar hybrid normally resides! In one of these Baltar is surrounded by the ghoulish looking dead (his victims no doubt haunting him - wonder if this episode should be called A Battlestar Carol).

2. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    Cool, Ulkesh.

I fear for the future of this show. The Sunday move will probably hurt more than help.

I'm not placing all my money on a full season 4, maybe just enough to wrap up the story.

Edric

3. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Edric I think moving to Sunday nights is a great idea for the new BG. Why? More people are at home looking for something to watch on TV. Friday night is not a good night. Most people are out and about on Fridays - not watching TV. So I think we'll see a slight jump in the ratings over a 3-6 month period. Even if the new BG's ratings bottom out (not very frakkin likely) I'm not overly concerned. Why? The answer is rather simple - the future of the new BG and its prequel Caprica may be the direct-to-DVD market. Babylon 5 is paving the way this coming summer with brand-new stories going direct-to-DVD. The new BG might follow B5's lead. As might Farscape, Firefly, and Stargate: SG1. All these shows sell extremely well on DVD. Now imagine the consumer reaction to fresh material! I dare say a genre revolution is underway. BG Season 4? Reports indicate that a fourth season has been given the greenlight by the Sci-Fi Channel. Not to mention a possible direct-to-DVD movie. This D-T-DVD movie might be the pilot episode for the BG prequel Caprica - or not. Too early to know for sure.

4. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Here's the straigh poop. Battlestar is okay....IMO. I still like the 70's version better, but, I also like The Music of the Thompson Twins.

Battlestar, right now, is Dark, edgy, and gritty.....a perfect reflection of the world as it is now - sans Cylons and what not. However, just as a movie like Blade Runner is nice to watch every now and then, it does get depressing after awhile. There really is no "Excessive Rewatchability". Plus, it suffers from the problem that made Babylon 5 unique and my favoirte TV Series - the continuing Story line will soon become so convoluted that new viewers will not want to jump on board and "casual" viewers will find a sitcom to enjoy. Plus, life in the syndication market will be next to impossible because of its serialized aspect - notice how Babylon 5 is no where to be found except on DVD.

Yes, these types of shows do well on DVD as Sci-Fi fans are much more passionate than your average genre fan. However, Battlestar has yet to establish itself as a long term franchise. When it reaches 100 episodes, yes. Now, no.

Just some food for thought. I've been close to dropping the show from my must see list. However, I like to see things through to the end.

Peace,
    Edric

5. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    I agree that the new BG is not for the timid and/or occasional viewer. It demands dedication from the viewer. It is not a passive 'feel-all-warm-and-fuzzy' kind of show. It takes the viewer deep into the conflicted pysche where all the dark things wake from slumber. It explores the misery and tension of war and loss. By going to such depths the few moments of hope found in the show are all the more richer. To have those moments of hope the show forces the viewer to work for them. They are not just free hand-outs without costs (as is the case in Trek - more times than not).

6. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Ulkesh,

But....hope is an essential part of the human condition. Galactica needs to start showing a flicker of hope or viewers will fall away.

Part of Trek's charm was that it was hopeful and things usually worked out. Although, there were moments of loss - Kirk's son; the Enterprise; Picard's loss of his Brother and Nephew; Sisko's loss of his moral center as the Dominion War heated up in DS9.

I still say, in years to come, episodes like "The Trouble With Tribbles" will still be watched a kazillion times over and not episodes of Galactica (especially that one with the boxing metaphor and where they went to the algea planet and all were puking due to radiation exposure).

Peace,
    Edric

7. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Edric, I do mention that yes there are moments of hope (moments of amusement as well) in the new BG - BUT they are hard won by the characters and the watching audience. They do not seem to be waiting on a silver plate as with Trek. Hope, moments of amusement, and solutions are not a given or expected thing in the new BG.

The new BG stays away from overly cute subject matter (such as cute furry balls that purr) or genius kids saving the day via techno-babble (Wesley Crusher comes to mind). The new BG is not juvenile in its approach to conflict and resolving that conflict.

Trek had its day. Trek mattered in the 60s thru 80s, but loss purpose in the 90s and 21st century. The competition (Babylon 5 and Farscape) superceded in exploiting Trek's dramatic weaknesses. I agree that Trek is more friendly to the mainstream audience (as is the StarGate franchise) because it takes itself less seriously.

8. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Well, I for one like it all. I don't just follow what Rolling Stone says to watch or avoid watching what other people say is not any good. Everything is a cycle and will come back. Frankly, I think that the entire Sci-Fi genre could use a good kick in the butt. Most of what is out there that does make money is based on a video games or reality crud.

Peace,

Edric

9. jediravenclaw

jediravenclaw Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004
    ok, it's 9:38 am on Monday here in the UK....why is the new episode NOT online yet?? didn't it air last night at 10?

I'm dieing here! ... need....BSG... :p

EDIT:
    oops, I mixed up the date of the marathon with the date of the new episode. grrrrr. I got all excited too ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.