main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Krash, Nov 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Battlestar Galactica

I don't know how many of you are fans of the classic series, but I've been waiting for this remake of Battlestar Galactica for some time.

The Lowdown was Sci-Fi channel's preview of the upcoming miniseries. Good documentary...and they spend alot of time talking with Richard Hatch (original Apollo) about how he sees the remake's effect on the series.

If you haven't noticed, the one thing I don't like is the "redo" of the central cast members...especially changing BOTH Boomer and Starbuck into women (nothing against female pilots)

"Starbuck is a girl...get used to it" Katee Sackhoff (Lt. Kara Thrace "Starbuck")

And I don't like many of the comments made by Ronald D. Moore (Executive Producer/Screenwriter) about how fans of Battlestar just need to get over the fact that they've changed many of the basic elements of the show. When you're trying to revive a series...you don't slap the fans in the face.

2. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    I've heard lots of stuff about this new show. All bad. I may watch the premiere, but I was never a fan of the original series so if I miss it, I won't be too upset.

3. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Ok, the original was a little before my time, but I like the re-runs I've seen on the Sci-Fi channel. This is the worst idea since Tim Burton's "reimagining" of Planet of the Apes.

4. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I'm still torn, it has the potential...but there's been too many little things that make this a mistake of "Greedo Shooting First" proportions:

Starbuck/Boomer girls...bad idea!
    All this talk of redesinging the ships (except the Viper "Mark II") to look more high tech.
    SPOILERS if you didn't watch the preview on Sci-Fi...The Cylons have evolved that some can look human...others are still robot

On the other hand, Edward James Olmos could be a better Commander Adama then Lorne Greene (may the lords of Kobal forgive me)
    And I like the idea of a documentary style filming...they said they were inspired by Black Hawk Down in regards to the intensity of combat (could be really good)

5. GrnJalera

Feb 3, 2001
    A review from AICN.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16490

Lots of spoilers so avoid if you don't want to be spoiled.
    WARNING - This website may contain language inappropriate for the padawans, view discretion is advised

6. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    I'm going to be getting the DVD of TOS for Christmas I think. I LOVED it. I'm not so sure about the new version. I mean the only things that are staying the same are the names, story line and the Vipers. At least they still LOOK like Vipers. I'm sure theres a reason we havnt seen a pic of the Galactica.

7. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I'm sure theres a reason we havnt seen a pic of the Galactica.
    They show clips of it in the Sci-Fi Channel "The Lowdown" special...it sort of got the "Wing Commander" treatment (not a good thing) They're playing it as Galactica is an old ship (about to be retired) and not one of the Colonial fleet's top carriers.

The more I'm learning about this NEW version...the more I think they made a mistake. The dogfights look pretty good, so there might be a small reason to watch.

8. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Well after seeing the Lowdown I feel alittle better about the show. The Galactica looks alittle weird. I'm going to watch the show and give it a chance.

9. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I pretty much agree fully with Bret. I saw a little bit of The Lowdown and it doesn't look terrible, so it might not be that bad after all. However I think a lot of fans of the original show are going to be pretty upset with all of the "liberties" they've taken.

10. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    I am a huge fan of TOS. I should have asked one of you guy to get me Boomers autograph. I have Richard Hatch's. I also go a great pic of him and I together. If I had a scanner I'd post it. I was actually MORE into Galactica than SW at the time.

11. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    After spending a couple minutes talking with Herbert Jefferson Jr. @ Mid-Ohio Con...I can tell you he IS NOT happy with what has been done to his character! To the point where he really didn't seem to associate it at all with the original series.

How do you feel about the changes they've made to your character?
    "It's not my character...I have nothing to do with it." :eek:

Apparently Richard Hatch is better about doing interviews with something good to say.

BTW, Thanks to Herbert Jefferson Jr. overall...a really nice guy!

One down...next up Anne Lockhart (Sheeba) [face_love]

12. Malo-ha

Malo-ha Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2003
    After spending a couple minutes talking with Herbert Jefferson Jr. @ Mid-Ohio Con...I can tell you he IS NOT happy with what has been done to his character! To the point where he really didn't seem to associate it at all with the original series.

Quite true, he went to great pains to call it a reinterpretation of BG rather than a remake.

He is a really nice guy. Very friendly, making sure everyone was comfortable when they came up for an autograph, asking how they wanted it personalized and making sure you got a photo.

13. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Well, I was looking forward to this one, then I saw the Sci-Fi special and it kind of turned me off....The changing sexes some of the main cast is a BAD IDEA...I hate how Hollywood does "Reinvisioning" instead of Remakes. The Metal Cylons look so fake and CGI, which is a major dissappointment, and so is the spoiler mentioned above...but I like the war fottage idea for their filming style. But we will see on December 8th on how good it is...

14. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    then I saw the Sci-Fi special and it kind of turned me off....
    I don't like how the creators of this new version seem to think fans should just "get over it" when it comes to the changes they've made.

I really don't like the attitude of Ronald D. Moore (Executive Producer/Screenwriter) and certain cast members who make no apologies to fans for the drastic changes they've made.

Hollywood does "Reinvisioning" instead of Remakes
    Rather then create something original (Farscape) studios think it is a safer bet to "reinvision" a classic series:

Star Trek...TNG (ok that one worked)
    Planet of the Apes...Tim Burton must pay!!!
    Lost in Space...robot was cool, Jupiter 2 was nice, but overall a bad movie!
    Charlies Angels...1st one was fine, but did we need a sequel?

15. GrnJalera

Feb 3, 2001
    Not to get off topic, but it's hard to pin down what was wrong with the Lost in Space remake. The actors were fine (bordering on pretty good). The acting wasn't bad. The effects were top notch. I didn't find too many faults (if any) with the directing or editing.
    In the end, you're left with one thing: It was the story. Maybe a re-write would have helped, but it all comes down to a lousy script. The dialogue also wasn't that great, but I put that in with the bad script. They were delivered fine, they just had crapola to work with.

16. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I agree with Grn. I liked Lost in Space... I didn't think it was that bad.

I'd like to point something out as a big Charlie's Angels fan. The latest Angels movies with Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, and Lucy Liu are not really remakes or reinvisioned versions of the show. It's basically the Charlie's Angels equivalent of "The Next Generation," but on the big screen. Basically, McG infers that the Angels have existed all the way through the 80s and 90s, with new Angels coming and going. In Full Throttle, Demi Moore's character used to be an Angel in the period between the show's end and the first Charlie's Angels movie. Charlie has always been the same character, but I suppose his Bosley has changed a few times over the years, and none of the movie Angels are supposed to be the same Angels from the show. Therefore it's not really a remake or reinvisioning, merely a continuation of the Townshend Agency's story.

17. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    I liked Lost in Space. I still hope they do another one.
    I'm starting to look at THIS "BG" as kind of a "Mirror Mirror" kind of BG. It helps me get through the problems I have with it.

18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I was so looking forward to this but Comcast is moving the Sci Fi channel to it's Digital lineup on the 10th so I'm not gonna be able to see it. Damn the man!

19. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    Well, if comcast is moving it on the 10th...and the premire is on the 8th....at least u'll be able to watch the first episode.

20. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    So far, all the things I knew were going to turn my off from this "infinities" version of Galactica are overshadowing any possible good things.

Frak me!
    She can smoke all the cigars in the galaxy, but this Lt. Kara Thrace is NO "Starbuck" She keeps getting more annoying everytime I watch her.

Cylon fem-bot...so was the 1st half hour nothing but meaningless sex scenes? Cylon chick does it...Boomer and the mechanic get things on...Baltar cheat on robot with another woman...is this Battlestar Galactica or the rest of the season of "Coupling?"

Boomer...if they're going to ruin the character, at least try and do something creative with it. No wonder Herbet Jefferson Jr. doesn't want anything to do with this version of BG.

21. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    Now, keeping in mind that out of the original series...only about 6 episodes were actually good...

That said, this new mini series is not that much of an improvement. Loved the references to the old show's designs(like the original Cylon costume in the musium, ect.). The acting was pritty bad (Only the General of the Galactica was good, and also the micanic, and Baltar).
    ...more to come later.

EDIT:
    Ok, it's now later so....let's see how the second installment is...Hey is this just a 2 part mini, or what?

22. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Well I missed the first installment. I was at work and forgot to set the Tivo. Going to watch the second one. I'm alittle pissed about that.

23. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I've got it taped Anrev...plus they'll probably show it again sometime.

I got home mid-way through part II, but this is what I've been waiting for from Battlestar Galactica (lots of Viper action) so this looks promising!

EDIT: FRAK NO! There's a twist at the end (SPOILER) Boomer is a humanoid cylon

24. GrnJalera

Feb 3, 2001
    Unlike Krash, I kind of liked it. :D I liked the twist at the end. Me and my wife were placing bets on who ... well, you know and it wasn't who we thought.

Anyone else catch the Republic Cruiser in a shot?

[image=http://frankg.dgne.com/swsv/other/transport.jpg]

Space fights - very cool. Very realistic. Really liked them.

Oh, and sunday SciFi is showing both parts back to back starting at 7pm.

25. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    It's not that I dislike the show...part II was much better IMO. However, I can see how many purists of the show (including cast members) have some serious issues with what was done.

I thought the idea of there being Cylon infiltrators was an interesting concept...but the second twist ending was a bit much. No wonder Jefferson wants to distance himself from it.

I think the Baltar/Number Six relationship was interesting. Instead of making him an outright traitor, he's just trying to cover his ###. And if ya gotta have a voice I your head...I'd take her over "Harvey" (Farscape) anyday of the week.

The space battle scene was great, I was hoping for more of that kind of action. Maybe even the classic 3 viper roll-out shot that was used in every episode of the original series ;)

Edward James Olmos was definatly the emotional presence in this movie. The "So say we all"scene, where he rallys the crew into finding Earth was some of the most dramatic acting I've seen on television in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.