main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Bay Area Costumers?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Adyn, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adyn

Adyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    Hello :) I'm new to the board and am curious how many members are involved in costuming? I am pretty new at it, and have reeaaaallly had fun with it, and would love to meet up with other fans who enjoy it too! I have a Jedi costume that I did pre episode I, also a Frodo costume (though no SW, still fun hahah). I am currently working on a battle padme costume for CIII. Due to an untimely breakdown of my sewing machine, it's been on hold, but hopefully will be going again soon :)

I actually live in Santa Cruz, and have met some of the SBSWFC, but none of them are into costuming... so I thought I'd extend out a bit further and see what's out there :) I don't mind driving, and have lots of space for visitors, so maybe there is costuming fun to be had? LOL

2. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    You are in luck. Several costumers in our group, actually. Good to see another LOTR fan in the group. Maybe I'll remember to bring pics from the ROTK Oscar Party if you make it up to the meeting on Saturday.

3. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Hello Adyn! It sounds like you live just over the hill from me (I'm out in Los Gatos). Although I'm not quite a regular member of the SF Fan Force, I have enjoyed going to some of the events organized by the the members of this forum - and there are quite a few costumers in the group!

I like your Frodo costume by the way :) I made myself an Arwen costume last year, as well as making the vest and cloak for my husband's Frodo costume last Halloween.

Perhaps we'll be able to meet and compare Frodo notes at a future event huh? (I'd still like to make him an accurate shirt and ditch the one from Museum Replicas).

- Kay Dee

4. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Hope to meet you soon, fellow costumer! Welcome to the boards! FYI, Michonne Bourraguie (Aurra Sing, Ep. I), lives in Santa Cruz! :)

5. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    She does?

Hmmm.

Oh well, what another restraining order?

6. Adyn

Jun 25, 2002
    Yay!!! How awesome to hear, I can't wait to meet everyone :D

Kay Dee... oh WOW... I LOVE your costumes!!!! That picnic dress is to die for!!! Hmmmmmm mmmmmmm. Hehehe. And you're just a hop over the hill from me :) I'd love to meet up sometime, for sure. There are more pics of my frodo costume here:

The Frodo Project

7. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Wow!!! Yay, another Frodo! You look AWESOME. GREAT costume, and just the right look, facially, hair, etc. Fantastic! I'm blown away!!! (Oh, and did I mention that the detail work - hand-made buttons, hand-done pinstriping, etc. - are just...boggling! Go you!)

I'm just a newbie on these boards as well, although I've been a SW fan since I was 8 and it was 1977. Ouch, I'm old. ;)

*waves uncertainly to the board in general, since this is my first post here*

I'm in the Bay Area as well, and working (FINALLY) on a generic Jedi costume.

Oh...a link to my Frodo costume page, to be reciprocal:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cstaehle/lotrindex.htm

8. Adyn

Jun 25, 2002
    HOLY COW!!!! NICEEEEEE work!! Wow, just... wow. Dang I wish I had met you before I did mine, haha, could have used the moral support (and advice LOL). I am really new at sewing and there were more than a few times the whole thing almost went out the window.

That is one accurate costume, I love it!! (As you can probably guess... I am a bit of a detail nut LOL) I think my husband though I was insane sitting there stitching pinstripes for days on end. And making (and remaking) my shirt till it looked right to me! I made the buttons from sculpey, based off a button shape I thought was pretty accurate, but couldn't find anywhere near a good match material wise. So I made a mold and pressed them out, baked em, and then dyed them slightly. It was fun!

I really wanted to do the coat, I even have fabric for it! But I ran out of time, and decided that I'd just be Frodo from the scenes with no coat haha. And besides, then noone would ever see my pinstriping hehehe.

Anyhow... hope the non-sw discussion is not a no-no LOL, just so super excited to meet another Frodo costumer, and a SW fan in the area at that!

Carolyn, will you be at the FF meeting at the Metreon tommorrow? I really hope to make it, and it'd be fun to meet up! :)

9. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Whoa, Caroline. I didn't know you were on these boards.

10. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    Welcome to all the new people, WOW, what great costumes you all have! I am new to costuming, but I am enjoying it. Hope to see you all at the meeting - and maybe the Sacto convention on Sunday (tomorrow) - great place to wear Jedi garb ... :)

11. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I thought I'd add my own two cents for the intro costuming / newbie thread; Adyn and I started corresponding recently, and she had such nice things to say about your meeting on Sat. I actually almost carpooled up to the City with her, but decided I didn't really want to see the trailer. I'd rather be more suprised during the movie itself. :)

Anyway... I am also a more or less beginning costumer. I've made a few costumes: an Arwen dress, a Ren Faire outfit, and a Goa'uld costume from Stargate. I have a couple of things planned for CIII and the RotS premiere, but will have to see how much I can actually get done. [face_worried]

I started out on the FF boards and costuming with the RMFF while living out in Denver for a couple of years. Now that I'm back in the Bay Area, it would be nice to get together with some of the costuming people out here sometime. Speaking of which - kay_dee, hi! I didn't know you were around this area. I finally made a fitting clone, and I'm just starting to put into practice all the advice and suggestions that you gave me a while ago for the Celebration Leia dress sleeve-wings over on the C&P board.

Adyn and I are hoping to get together for some costuming work over in Santa Cruz one of these days soon; it would be cool to meet some of the other costumers in the area as well at some point.

12. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Taeriel, I think I've seen some of your music vids. The crowd is getting more diverse. Which is really great.

13. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Wow, now there is a connection that I never would have thought to see! How'd you run across them? I haven't done music videos for ages, though I still have hopes to finish up redoing a SW one before RotS.

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    "Estrogen level....riiiise!" :) It's good to see more female members joining! Can't wait to meet everyone!

15. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    LOL Matt! It's *great* to have more women/girls/chicks/ladies/etc. in the group! :)

Adyn, it was great to meet you on Saturday, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your great costumes too! I hope to meet you all at the next meeting if not at C3. Taeriel (sp? sorry!), I hope you can complete the ANH Leia ceremony dress, I do the ANH Leia "regular" dress, now all we need are Hoth Leia, Bespin Leia, "Bounty Hunter/Boussh" Leia (ROTJ), "General" Leia (ROTJ), and "Ewok Village" Leia, and we have them all (others do Endor Leia and Slave Leia). Did I miss one? Wow, that's a lot of Leias - <Grandpa Simpson Voice> in my day, there was a plain white dress brown buns Leia, and that's how we liked it! </Grandpa Simpson Voice>

Sorry everyone - it's 630 am and I'm a little loopy! ;)

16. Adyn

Jun 25, 2002
    Hoth Leia is on my list for sure :D

Ooooohhh, I would love a sewing workshop... I can bribe with baked goods (I bake far better than I sew hahaha)

I just figured out the collar on my Padme Battle costume... *and there was much dancing about with joy* hehehe As it gets a bit more together, I'll toss up some pics if anyone is interested.

17. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Themusic vid I saw was the Gundam Wing one with Benetar's Invincible.

18. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    ** Whoa, Caroline. I didn't know you were on these boards. **

Hi! Well, only recently. :) Um... now I'm embarassed, because I don't recognize your handle here, and so...I don't know who I'm talking to!

DOH!

Hi, anyway!!!

19. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm gonna risk being bad and reply to the Frodo stuff. If this is a no-no, if someone will let me know? I'll take it off-list if it's a distraction. Last thing I want to do is show up on boards and Get It Wrong. :)

Anyway...!

**I am really new at sewing and there were more than a few times the whole thing almost went out the window. **

Um...as mentioned in my webpage...I don't sew. Period. I'm lamelamelame...but hope to learn how to rectify that! So, the majority of my Frodo costume was scavenged and modified, or commissioned. *sheepish grin* But the armor I made from top to bottom, so I'm smug about that, at least! LOL!

**I made the buttons from sculpey, based off a button shape I thought was pretty accurate, but couldn't find anywhere near a good match material wise. So I made a mold and pressed them out, baked em, and then dyed them slightly. It was fun! **

Your attention to detail absolutely rocks my socks (which I'm not even supposed to wear as a hobbit, right?)!!!! And you have a perfect look-alike face. :)

**I really wanted to do the coat, I even have fabric for it!**

If you do the coat, you'll be one of the last, if it's the same fabric I used (recommended on AlleyCatScratch)...it's gone now...the mill went bye-bye.

**Carolyn, will you be at the FF meeting at the Metreon tommorrow? I really hope to make it, and it'd be fun to meet up!**

Ok, on-topic with Star Wars at last! I'm sorry I missed the meeting. I...

A. Didn't know about it, because I didn't read these boards adequately, and...
    B. Was up in Tahoe for the weekend, taking pictures of myself in my Frodo costume in the snow! DOH!!!!

Maybe I can make the next one? When is that? I better go look for the proper thread...

20. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    **LOL Matt! It's *great* to have more women/girls/chicks/ladies/etc. in the group! **

Sadly, I think I'm old enough to have passed my "chick" days.

;)

21. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    LeiaAsylum - thanks, I hope I can get it done too! I'm currently working my way through the mock-up, specifically, working on those annoying sleeve-wings. I haven't even started to think about accessories, either.

Adyn - I'd love to come over for a costuming and sewing workshop/get-together. That would be great inspiration for getting things done before CIII! Oh, and congrats on figuring out the collar. Do link to your progress pics - those are always nice to see.

Harlock415 - Ah, that one. Huh, that was a while ago! Our first full length video, actually. Definitely a learning experience.

22. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    *Hi! Well, only recently. Um... now I'm embarassed, because I don't recognize your handle here, and so...I don't know who I'm talking to!*

You usually see me at LOTR events, actually. I cooked at the last picnic.

23. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    **You usually see me at LOTR events, actually. I cooked at the last picnic.**

Ah HA! I know you now!

*waves*

24. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Going back to topic, Trisha Biggar (costume designer for the prequels) is coming out with a book about costumes of the SW saga due in October:

http://starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/news20050317.html

In conjunction with the book, there will be an exhibit at FIDM in LA from Sept. 12-Dec. 10, 2005.

http://starwars.com/community/news/2005/03/news20050317b.html

Everyone say, "Road Trip"! Maybe on the way, we can stop by Death Valley, where they shot scenes for Ep. IV. :)

25. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Wait isn't Death Valley off the beaten path?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.