main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BayCon 2006 Report

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Master--Kenobi, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Wow! WHAT a GREAT BayCon!

First, Congratulations to DarkLordSid (or actually, his alter-ego Koza) for Taking Best Theme of the Masquarade with "Mollari," A Centari Salute to the guest of honor, Stephen Furst (Vir, Babylon 5; Flounder, Animal House). No "Hams" in that group. ;) From what I could see, Vir was ROFLAO during the entire performance. We in the audience were dying! Koza was there at his most obnoxious best! (Ya know we love you, Koza...and yes...we know..There are SIIIIXXXXXXX of them! And they are THAT big!) [face_laugh]

Congratulations also to Kai for Best Performance in Show, Master's Catagory for the Knight's of the Round Table routine from Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Spamalot! On the floor hyserical and, being the HUGE Python fan that I am...I was laughing so hard I was crying. Once again CONGRATES to the two of you (and to BOTH of the groups as well) WELL WELL deserved awards![face_laugh] [face_dancing]

Master_Kenobi scored a dream by winning the auction for Stephen Furst's original script for "Animal House." (Including his notes for Flounder) This was personally autographed to MK, along with a number of Animal House and Babylon 5 pics (also personally autographed to MK for being the winner). Have to say, Stephen is one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. The proceeds of the auction went to support Renal Failure Research, a worthwhile cause, as Stephen announced during the con that not only is he severe diabetic, but is now on dialysis. :( Siri and MK also had a chance to talk with him about this for quite a while on Sunday.

Also, "Obi-Wan" was asked quite a while ago to participate on the "Women in Beards" Panel. Which was a panel on how to go about sucessfully portraying a male persona. Was in with GREAT Company on this one! All very well respected actors who successfully portray male characters. Honestly, I felt very very honored to be asked to participate. We had a full-house for the turnout. Lots of complements and wonderful inquiries from both men and women in the audience, all extremely supportive and, even some of the men asked for make-up tips on how to keep from "washing out" and even "strengthening the look of their jawline" when they are on stage, or even when creating/replicating a male character from the screen. The questions and tips continued way way after the panel was finished. Again, very honored to be in such company with such well-known costumers and performers. Lots of laughter and just pure fun on this panel.

We had a HUGE SW Photo session on Saturday, with Anakin (Robert, Commander of Endor Base RL)and Kenobi working off of each other, as well as a wonderful RoJ Luke and a great Darth Vader. Other characters were represented as well. Got to meet up with lots of friends and meet lots of new ones. Also thanks to our resident "George" for setting up some amazing shots.:D

Again, BayCon is THE Kick-back con of the year to be at. Thanks again to EVERYONE for making it one of the best ones ever.

So, feel free to post your reports.

One Exhausted Jedi
    *Transmisson Out!*

2. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Yes, many many congratulations to Sid and to all the rest of the "Mollari" skit! They are also the absolute high point of the many hours spent in the Green Room before and after the masquerade, as they never ONCE broke character the whole time. Absolutely HILARIOUS. I wish I could have taped most of the byplay amongst them, not to mention the commentary directed outward at the rest of us. I was totally charmed. :)

That's great about getting the script Master K, although I am really sad to hear that Mr. Furst is now on dialysis. I hope that he continues as well as he possibly can...that's a hard road to travel.

Getting to hang out with my SW peeps, especially this fanforce, was a real high point for me. Thanks HUGELY to our "George" who patiently and with great skill took copious photographs in the downstairs lobby. She's really really talented. I can't wait to see them...especially the "Luke, help me take this mask off" sequence on the stairs. Those looked incredible from the tiny preview on the camera's screen.

Thanks for the thumbs-up for the Spamish Inquisition. I'll pass along the kudos to the rest of the Ka-nig-its. :)

- Kai

3. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Other highpoints:

Kenobi getting to Belly Dance! :D

And even better:

Kenobi getting Knighted by King Arthur and "sponsored" for knighthood by Sir Bedevere with Sir Lancelot watching! (yup, pics of that too!)[face_laugh]

Also, let's not forget "Tiny." She made her debut at the con. First off, I know everyone wanted me to name her "Boga." But she apparently had been too programed to Tiny. She just absolutely, totally, and completely refuses to respond to that name. So, "Tiny" it shall remain.:D I was amazed at how she continued to learn throughout the days. Plus, registeration almost took her from me. (They just kept wanting to pet and play with her! ) [face_laugh] When I checked out today, people were still stopping me, wanting to play with her. So, I guess she is also a part of Santa Cruz now! :) However obnoxious and noisy she may be! :D

Anyways, I think that is all for now... I really need to get that car unloaded.

4. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Shucks, I'm jus' being myself... sort of.

Thanks Kai and Master K, it's a fun character unlike the grim Star Wars ones I normally play. Heck Sid is tough, all movements are tightly controlled and I can see much from under the hood.

Congrats Kai, I'll get the backstage encore performance of Spamalot on disc or on my download site and post the address here. Was kind of dark (poor stage lighting) but it was crazy fun to watch.

Everyone had tons of fun, looking forward to the next one down the road soon.

And Kai, you looked great in your new outfit, got a pic of that was wow'ing the peeps too, I'll post that on the site as well.

5. Siri-Tachi

Siri-Tachi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    I have only the best to report for this year?s BayCon. I had a great time! It was hard work but a lot of fun and play in return! Check out just these few pics from the winners circle. Enjoy!

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/Siri-Tachi/BayCon06/

I will add more pictures as soon as I can.

My congratulations to Sid and Kai (plus and all your group members) for your great performances and costumes.

6. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Thanks for the congrats! I shall pass them along. :) And I just PMed you with the contact information you requested. Just FYI. :)

- Kai, in post-con tired phase, but happy

7. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Thanks for the congrats! I shall pass them along. :) And I just PMed you with the contact information you requested. Just FYI. :)

- Kai, in post-con tired phase, but happy

8. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Whoops. Double post. Didn't realize that'd happened...sorry!

Hey, pregunta...regarding website development, do you want me to start a thread full of questions on the board, PM people...? Not sure of procedure...

- Kai

9. Siri-Tachi

Siri-Tachi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    Sounds good. Let's do it! heehee

10. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Johno has posted photos from Baycon 2006, including a number of the Centauri! Gallery here:

http://johno.ohalloran.org/gallery/bc2006

- Kai

11. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Thanks for the pics, noticed a few of those crazy knights of the roundtable as well, heh. Still got that tune running in my head. If you have not checked out the extended materials on the newer multi disk version of the DVD, it's worth a look. The best part is the tour of Castle Anthrax by the cast members 20 years after.

And the Spamalot performance was terrific, congrats on your success, we're looking forward to your next project with anticipation, whatever it might be, it will likely be even more splendid.

I'm starting to get over the flu, back problems brought on by the last of the move, and the move in general. Eventually I'll get those photos downloaded from the camera and post them (still looking for the cable), but for now it's great to see the con from other viewpoints.

Even though we were dead tired and just worn out from months of stress and moving it was still a great time, and it was great that all of you were there too.

12. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    I don't want to hotlink, so check out the URL for a nice gallery page featuring some Centauri we all know. :) Oh, and the Spamish Inquisition...

http://crimdom.net/photos/2006/baycon/index.html

- Kai

13. ID-2132

ID-2132 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    I have a few from my camera...and computer too. I know Bruce, Lord Fang, and the Qui-Gon-Jinn of our group took quite a few pics of us...and I had those too.

14. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    *sits up and begs for piccies*

- Kai

15. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Aww..Kai is so cute when she begs. How can you not send her all the pics when she does that?
    ;)

16. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Just looking at Kai's photos...I want to talk to whoever did those articulated feathered wings. :eek: =P~

17. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Just got a disc in the mail, looks to be the entire costume contest. I'll give it a spin and let you know.

Nice of them to do that, kudos to the Baycon staff.

18. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Cool, that means ours should be coming soon, too.

- Kai

19. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    I wanna seeeee!!!
    I wish I could have seen it in person. Might have to bribe someone to burn me a disk or let me borrow it for a while. *eyes Master K* O:)

20. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Master K didn't get one, she was in the audience for that show.

Nope, it was The All Singing/Dancing Knights of the Round Table vs. The Singing Centauri that night and they both won.

Of course Koza just looks so stunning, how could he not win. *beams with a toothy smile*

21. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Ahhh...gotcha.

And quit grinning like that. You're creeping me out. [face_worried]

:p

22. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    *grins*

My work here is finished.

But seriously, watched the disc, cool to see the show from the audience, and it has the whole thing. Wish more conventions did that since they don't allow flash photos or filming of the show. And the disc was a DVD so I got to run it on our TV, which was even nicer than seeing it on the computer monitor.

Have to say that Kai's group, the Spam-ish Inquisition did a marvelous job, looked great.

23. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Thank you! And likewise! I can't wait to see the Centauri in full glory on my TV. You were HILARIOUS, and just as funny backstage as onstage.

*mutual love-fest*

24. ID-2132

ID-2132 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    Just an FYI.

Um, all the people in the pic are in drag. And they were all at the "Women In Beards," panel at Baycon. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/johny__b/CIMG5659.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.