main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Baycon 2006

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by DarkLordSid, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Just reserving the space, no way we're going to miss this one, it will mark the 20th anniversary of our marriage... okay, it's the 3rd, but it's still in May and we're still going strong in spite of a rough year.

Luv my wifey, hope she's gonna keep me (pllllease?)

2. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Yup, already have our room. Rough year here too, but not gonna miss this one. After all, it's not only the anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Sid, but the creation/birth (and it was a longgg rough gestation to get to the birth) of Santa Cruz Fan Force!

Congratulations to the two of the best (and most in love) people I know!

And congratulations to the rest of SCFF.... Despite a year of major loss on many levels and in many ways, rough waters, hard times, paradigm shifts, and major reality checks.... we have individually and collectively survived, prospered (in terms of becoming a true Family-In-The-Force, and continuing to expand in our growing family with members from all over the country and the world. We may not always post as much as we like, but don't ask about the phone bills! [face_laugh] ), and realized that when challenged with the realities of life itself...

"Conflict leads to change...it is up to you to decide how to handle that change... use what you have learned to help and be there for others who are struggling along the same path that will grow in true friendship, or use what you have learned to promote chaos and destruction along the path you walk alone." - Peace and Conflict Resolution - Fresno Pacific University.

So, thanks for the hugs, shoulders, calls, pm's, emails, laughter and even the crying that we have all shared together this past year. That's what I love about Santa Cruz, we are not tied togeather by costumes, characters, locations, or even SW itself. This has evolved beyond more than that. And now...back to true Santa Cruz tradition...

Force's UP!

Grab a board..and surf Mustafar.
    Midnight Beach Bar-B-Que featuring "Ribs and Wings" to follow... ;)
    The Lightsabers Only! Costume Contest... (Can Your Lightsaber STAND UP to the Competition?) ;)
    And the First Annual Anakin Whine-Off! :rolleyes:

Hugs to all!

Peace Out! [face_peace]

Master K

(On a serious note..Gods I love you guys!) [:D]

3. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Hmmm......Another con within driving distance. [face_thinking] I may have to put this one on my calendar. What are the official dates/location/fun to be had?

4. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    BayCon...one of the best "little" (ok not so little anymore) Costuming Conventions around. Memorial Day Weekend, (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon) and at the Doubletree Inn in San Jose.

You would LOVE it and we would LOVE to have you there! :)

5. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    The convention is rather odd in that there are typically no really big names there like there used to be.

So what's the draw? An odd mix of entertainment and seeing old friends.

Here's some of the high points:

-Hall costumes: Tons of them.
    -Dances with a live DJ and high tech lighting, the music is geared towards the fans.
    -A fun atmosphere
    -Parties, parties, parties
    -The Swim In Movies: Saturday and Sunday night they project cartoon trailers, movie trailers and usually a couple of featured on the wall above the pool. So jump into the water and watch the fun, or you can even watch from your own room balcony.
    -Friends old and new.

The high point for myself last year was seeing my face up on the wall in "I.M.P.S. The Relentless", that was SWWWWEEETTT. Just a background part, but still to be a part of the Star Wars World was just cool.

If you haven't seen it, give it a look. Note that the file is HUGE, so don't try this with dial up.

http://www.impstherelentless.com/tek9.asp

Part of that was filmed right in our own backyard so to speak, at the Concrete Factory at Davenport just north of Santa Cruz. A good friend asked if he could crash out the night before and then said, "Hey, you want to come?" We spent about 24 hours there in typical motion picture fashion: Wait for the shot to get set up and then do the same thing about five times, then wait for the next shot to get set up.. etc. But it was before EPI was released and at the time was the biggest gathering of Stormtroopers and Imperials I'd ever seen.

But I digress, ahem. The convention...

There are also panels of interest, some run by people well known to you I suspect, on various topics of costume creation, makeup, prop making and writing.

All good stuff, but really it's that we get together and just have fun.

So, I highly recommend it, come on out and have a blast. Check with us as we get closer for more details. You can also check out the website for the convention at:

http://baycon.org/2006/

6. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    And you CAN'T forget the Emperors "State of the Galaxy" Address! [face_laugh]

7. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Baycon is a delightful social con and smallish costuming venue. I really enjoy it. :)

8. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Don't I wish you WOULD. *rollseyes*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.