main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW Bazza O'Fazza

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Rebel_Padawan, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So NSW has a new Premier thank goodness. I probably would have moved states if Keneally had been re-elected.

After 16 years of Labor government, will this be a breath of fresh air or will the Liberals be recycling the stale air?

2. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    I think YOU are the breath of fresh air here. After five months without a single post (which must be world record for sure), you've single handedly given the NSW forum a reason to exist!

Well done!

=D=

Until now NSW FF had turned into the equivalent of an 1880s mining town where for years there is all this flurry of activity and action then one day it's simply abandoned.

Now it's just a question of whether there's still life in the old girl yet.

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    IT'S ALIVE!!!! ]-}

4. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    No it's just on life support.

5. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Not even life support lasts forever.

Maybe this forum is like the Jedi Knights. Once upon a time there were heaps of them all over the Galaxy then one day the Sith (or in this forum's case "Facebook") wiped most of them out and over time they all vanished bar one.

So the question is who will be the last one to keep posting here when everyone else has long since left?

6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    By TF.N rules, this place should be closed down now, due to lack of posting and interest....and its not alone in the Oceania region. :( SW is in our hearts but not on our laptops as much anymore...

7. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I am glad that some life has returned here. I am still active on the TF.n forums but with the lack of activity here... I can't exactly play word association by myself :p

With the 3D release of TPM coming out in February, do you think that will spark a revival here? Midnight screenings?

8. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Unfortunately the forum "fire has gone out of the universe" and what makes the impact so hard is that NSWFF was once the busiest port in town.

BUT what makes it all worse is that after five months of complete inactivity here in NSW, one person eventually posted something not even SW related which in turn has given the forum some action.

What's truly ironic of course is that Star Wars Skyforce club meetings in Melbourne and Sydney, which used to thrive back in the 90s, experienced a massive down turn in numbers when the forums became the place to hang out during the naughties. Now these same forums are being heavily impacted by everyone deserting them too just as fans deserted club meetings. I tell ya, it's history repeating itself, talk about poetic justice!

But we're all here now to try and give the old girl a breath of new life, so to respond to your comment about SW in 3D. Love it or hate it, every fan will see each of the films once just out of sheer curiosity even if it's just a pure money making "cash in the last craze" scheme that should never have happened.

9. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    But.... but......but its TPM...!!!!

10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Whether 3D should or shouldn't happen is always up for debate. Personally, if it works and done with care, then I have no problem with it. These 3D versions of the SW films might have additional content added to them. We have heard that the puppet Yoda in TPM will be replaced and that there be a new sound mix for ANH. Either way, it be great to see all the films on a bigger screen and a fresh perspective... maybe even after that be availble to watch on the Nintendo 3DS.

SW itself is still growing strong and is forever, just find it disappointing that there are people that feel it has died and no more since ROTS.

11. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Star Wars might be forever but it's definately not getting stronger, in fact using these forums as a prime example it's actually gotten a helluva lot weaker.

The problem is that many people weren't fans of the PT so these films weren't blessed with the same fan longevity and adulation as the OT (in fact remember two years ago when TPM turned 10 years old and no one cared - not even LFL). No more is this in evidence than with the costume groups who barely focus on the PT, prefering instead to stick with OT costumes that the general public will recognise.

Unfortunately this change of heart has impacted the OT as well with the creation of the Special Editions that some people were not happy with. Unfortunately as a result some fans impressions of Star Wars has been tainted over a period of time.

I'm just curious to know where you believe there is evidence that Star Wars is getting stonger?

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    If we overlook the upcoming releases of books, comics and games and just focus on G-Canon, we have the Saga to be released on Blu-ray, Season 4 of The Clone Wars, the 3D cinema release of the films over the next several years and the live action series that are still in pre-production... I don't see it becoming dead any time soon.

From the fan community, Fan Days IV is happening around October this year in the US and rumours going about that a possible Celebration VI will be announced soon. Celebration V was a huge success last year in Orlando.

For sources, the ForceCast Weekly podcast series hosted by Jason Swank and Jimmy Mac is brilliant, fun and has been going on for several years now and have their own micro-casts, rountables, specials, interviews alongside the weekly show.

For those that doubt the animated The Clone Wars series, this article does raise a number of good points, though the ForceCast with their roundtables and their interviews with the producers, writers and cast goes much more indepth.

13. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    They all sound like valid reasons for sure, but if it's all true, then why are these forums dying?

Surely if there was going to be a heap of fan activity on the go, this place should be buzzing with excitement as it was a few years ago.

Food for thought methinks.

14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    The Oceania forums or the Jedi Council as a whole? In regards to our territories... we need more exposure. The networks have been sloppy airing TCW, I don't think they have aired beyond Season 1 since starting November '08 and it is now on ABC3 in the afternoons. I do get surprised looks when I tell some people that Star Wars is still continuing and that it hasn't stopped post-ROTS release.

We do need more fan exposure down here too, a Celebration in the Southern Hemisphere, preferably Australia. Listening to the ForceCast coverage of the previous ones, if a Celebration is done here on the scale as C-V, it would definitely make an impact. The U.S. even had special screenings of certain story arcs from TCW like the Savage Opress Trilogy or the Mandalorian Trilogy... Landing of Point Rain. I'd love to see those on the big screen. If fans here that don't follow it saw how high the qualty of TCW is and how far it has progressed sinced the 2008 film, these side of the forums should see more activity... unless they are in the' Live Action, Clone Wars & Classics' part of the boards as we speak. :p

There is one culprit that affects the boards and that is DRL. The climate has changed and while there are younger fans coming in, some of the older ones could be drifting away. I have a theory that back when the prequels were being released, a number of members here were at high school, now post high school, there is College/Uni/work that takes up a lot of free time and have fallen out of the loop and not know of these current and upcoming events.

15. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    I agree that if a Celebration was held in OZ it would be a massive hit, yet it would only be a short term high. Furthermore, I doubt a Celebration would be held here because it would cost too much for LFL to organise - especially with today's exchange rates and our population isn't big enough to warrant it.

The unfortunate truth is that fandom does get impacted with the ravages of time and age. Many of the big Star Wars fans I knew in the 80s and 90s have now all grown up, gotten married, had kids and are working away paying off mortgages. In short, Star Wars isn't in the forefront on their minds as it once was - or in a more basic sense, they've simply grown out of it.

So the question is whether there are younger people out there to take their place and as you said, the young fans from 10 years ago and now starting to experience the same effects that the oldies are now experiencing as real life starts to catchup with them.

There is no doubt that TCW is a winner in the Star Wars fan circles, but the trouble is that a lot of people either don't know about it or don't care.

If you wanted to see Star Wars fandom at its true peak, you only need to go back to the 1990s. Now THAT was a good decade to be a fan!

16. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    completely off topic:

There are only two active topics remaining in FFNSW :(

17. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Yep and that other one's last post was 7 months ago!

Ohhhhh how far the NSWFF has fallen :_|

Ironically if it wasn't for this thread popping up, which wasn't even about Star Wars originally, then there'd be nothing here at all!

18. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    It's really sad how dead this community is :(

19. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    He's not dead yet.

In fact...

"E's gettin' betta" [face_laugh]

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    If this can last till the Blu-Ray and Cinematic releases... hopefully there be an influx of people.

21. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Looking forward to the cinematic releases - are we doing a meet to catch up for old times sake?

22. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    If we do a meet, it'd probably be the only reason I'd go see it :)

I'm sure we can even track down members who no longer post here.

23. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    yeah that'd be a damn good reason for a meet.

the other thing i know i'm going to be dragged to by my gf is this

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/harrypotter/tickets.php

which i'm kinda meh about but i'll man up and put up with the kids and the screaming and the EPXELLIARMUS and the hatred they inspire in you.

24. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Thanks for the heads up. Now to make sure my son never sees that advertised anywhere. Or my fiance. Or my future stepsons.

Ah crap, I'll just buy them all tickets, stick them in an envelope and leave the house before they open it so I can't be dragged along.

25. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Heading to HP world next year, so will save my money for that, although I'm sure it will ROCK!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.