main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST BB-8 vs R2-D2 - which is the cooler droid ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MyDarkstar, Jan 14, 2016.

?

BB-8 vs R2-D2 - which is the cooler droid ?

1. R2-D2

39 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. BB-8

24 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
  2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Loved it when BB on his first encounter with R2 bumps into him to get him to communicate.

jainasky, AmySolo and The Bops like this.
  3. Cypess

Cypess Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    Yes R2D2 will always come first for me as the coolest droid. BB8 is cute but so mature. My favorite BB8 scene in TFA is watching the droid clunk, clunk down the staircase in Maz's castle. BB8 is keeping up with Rey as she finds Luke's lightsaber. This was so endearing an action. BB8 is such a part of the action. It was basically love at first sight :bb8:

AmySolo and Evetssteve10 like this.
  4. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    R2, always R2. One of the best SW characters and one of the best non human characters in movie history.

5. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Chopper from Rebels.

6. MyDarkstar

MyDarkstar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014

I hate to say this, but that moment kinda reminded me of the cutesy moment between the Ewok coming up and checking out R2, tapping him etc in RoTJ.

[​IMG]

and just like every Ewok-based scene it was waaay too cutesy.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Awww, now this is the true definition of cuteness... These two together are just so adorable! ❤️
    [​IMG]

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    R2-D2 is still the best but BB-8 is not far behind, other than Rey he was my favorite new character.

9. Purple Ren

Purple Ren Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    R2, but BB-8 is a worthy successor.

Also, forget the Rey/Finn, Rey/Kylo, Rey/Poe, Poe/Finn ships... R2/BB is the ship we need.

The Bops likes this.
  10. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It all makes sense now...
    [​IMG]

Togruta, TheOneX_Eleazar and AmySolo like this.
  11. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
  12. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    BB-8 ran off with the map to Luke. He was Poe's astromech aboard his X-Wing, he "woke up" R2, and he filled in the missing piece of the map. He most certainly did have scenes where he "did anything." Pretty much the same role as R2 in ANH, only he didn't open any doors or get blown up.

That's such a silly meme being thrown around.

Now, onto the poll. I voted BB-8 from a design standpoint, but R2 is still the droid near and dear to my heart.

13. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    R2 of course- he is the ultimate solution to each and every SW problems in GFFA (even if he is in sleeping mode throughout the movie :p ). And at least he is part of the Skywalker family.

I wonder what would be the result to the question on the Prequels or the OT forums... I have the feeling that this competition is the closest here.

I also love BB8- my little daughter loved him and my cousin too (she even decided to name her first child to BB8 if it is possible [face_dancing])

14. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    father and daughter. [face_tee_hee][:D]

15. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    love BB-8. i have a BB-8 shirt, but nothing is cooler than R2D2.

The Bops likes this.
  16. Darth Anomaly

Darth Anomaly Jedi Knight

Oct 21, 2015
    i just don't trust that BB-8, there's something of the night about him, cant put my finger on it but just waiting for him to betray everyone.......

JediMatteus likes this.
  17. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Everyone I saw the movie with thought he was flipping him the bird, so I was surprised when I came online and saw everyone saying, "Aw, it was so cute when BB-8 gave Finn a thumbs up!" I found myself thinking, "Wait, did everyone else completely miss the point of that scene... or did I?"
    (I still thinking "flipping the bird" is a lot funnier than a thumbs up, and it makes more sense in the context. But I know I'm in the minority on that.)

18. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    in ANH R2 tricked Luke into removing his restraining bolt then left secretly.
    he was beating chewbacca in that chess game.
    he found out that the princess was in the DS.
    he opened up the trash compactors.
    he was actually shown fixing stuff in the X-wing.

He actively performed certain tasks that showed us his initiative.

BB-8 just followed people around.
    I guess bumping into R2 can count as one but that was messy writing.

19. Phteven

Phteven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    I think bb is superior in both a practical n emotive sense. R2 has an unfair advantage with his history tho. But I think bb is my pick just in how he emotes etc.

20. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    BB-8 is more cute and likable at this point but if I'm on a mission I'd much rather have R2-D2 with me. He saves everybody's butts in almost every movie.

21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
  22. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Well, there's your proof! R2 is the "cooler" one. I'm pretty sure BB8 is the "washing machine" one of the two though.

JediKnightWax likes this.
  23. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Repeating the meme doesn't make it true.

BB-8 did different things than R2. He didn't just "roll around." He secured the map to Luke, revealed the location of the Resistance base, provided the missing piece of the Map to Luke to Leia, suggested to 3PO that R2 had the remainder of the map in his memory back-up, and then literally completed the map to Luke along with R2.

It's not BB-8's "fault" Poe is a better pilot than Luke was in ANH and he didn't have to fix anything on the X-Wing...

As for the rest, it seems you're trying to find fault because he didn't mirror R2 exactly.

24. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    He totally does!! Ridiculously adorable.

I was sold when he turns around all "huh?" like when Rey arrives to rescue him from .. Tito was it?

Funnier yes but not more in context. Would, if he didn't give the location of the resistance base or gave the wrong one. The fact that he did meant he agreed to the deal and a thumbs up fits more than the "bird."

25. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Ditto. I have a BB-8 shirt and I wear it proudly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk