main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BBC article says OT DVDs to come out in 2004!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by qui-gon-kim, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_AM_A_CLONER

I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2003
    well thats just a wonderful thought....i would have to say that if they came out next year on DVD that would truly help the wait until the episode III trailer (november '04) be much more bearable.

2. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I don't buy it.

LFL knows it will make a financial killing with any DVD release, whether it's the original versions or souped-up archival editions. In some ways, there's no reason for them not to release something. But Lucas only wants the best out there, which is why I think we're stuck waiting till 2006-07.

Regarding the DVD release schedule - don't forget the Clone Wars cartoon series. I'm sure LFL will release a single DVD of all the cartoons sometime in 2004. Perhaps in the fall with an Ep. 3 trailer included.

3. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    LOL, DarthKarde! [face_laugh]

4. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    Well, wadda ya know.

5. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Yeah in this DVD set we could have a trailer for E3, now how many could stay trailer free if that is true?

6. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Give me a break? I have no doubts whatsoever that Lucas WILL release the OT DVD set before Episode III. What better way to drum up interest in the final chapter of the saga. Sure Lucas may want to fine tune the films for an ?Archival Edition? but he is a shrewd businessman and is not above milking this cash cow.

Why wait to release an Archival Edition and make a bucket load of money when you could release the SE?s with some supplemental material, and make a bucket load of money NOW, and then release the Archival Editions and still make a bucket load of money from people who bought the SE DVDs anyway.

Let?s look at the track record here? How many times has the OT been reissued on VHS, and in how many different boxed sets have they appeared. Wait how about Laser Disc. Yep I remember when I plunked down my $120 bucks to buy the OT in widescreen on Laser Disc, only to find out there was an ?Ultimate? edition Laser Disc boxed set ready for release the following year. Oh, and don?t forget the Original Soundtrack for Episode 1, followed up a year later by the Ultimate Edition?

I have no doubt this has been in the works for some time?

Yancy (aka gallandro)

7. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    I saw this about it over at comingsoon.net.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=1539

Interesting. They're insinuating that It will be a 4-disc set much like the Indiana Jones trilogy.

8. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    I think it would be a good idea to release it before Episode III. You can put a trailer on the extras disk. Also, the OT DVDs could help stir up interest in Star Wars again prior to Episode III.

Plus it would mean not having to wait as long. :)

9. mgibson

mgibson Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    The one bit about the TFN story that I found interesting is the 'no extra features on the OT' detail. There have been at least 8 million specials produced on Star Wars not to mention the Holiday Special. Sure the releases might be tough to clear (MTV's special wasn't too shabby) but I would love to have a ton of those old TV specials on DVD...especially the 'Making of Star Wars', ESB:SPFX, and Classic Creatures: ROTJ shows.

And you can't tell me that LFL doesn't have the right to pull rank to get clearance on these shows...

10. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I think Lucasfilm will do something similar to the LOTR DVDs: release a barebones version in 2004, and then a speacial feature laden "Archival Edition" set to come out after the PT is complete.

11. Anakin__Skyvodka

Anakin__Skyvodka Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    I think Lucasfilm will do something similar to the LOTR DVDs: release a barebones version in 2004, and then a speacial feature laden "Archival Edition" set to come out after the PT is complete.

If this DVD release turns out to be true, I really hope that's the case.

The SEs can still use a lot of work.

I don't see GL letting them stay as is.

12. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Actually, the more I think about this, the more I beleive it to be true. It makes sense, and it is a great financial opportunity for Lucasfilm. He is doing the same thing with Indiana JOnes (you know there will be another dvd release of that after part 4 comes out) , so why not do it with the OT? However, for me, it is too little too late. Guys, this thing wouldnt be out until late 2004. That's only about 7 months before episode 3 comes out in the theater. That is too long. If I can wait until Fall 2004 to get the OT on dvd, I could easily wait until 2006 to get it on dvd. 2004 may be an off year for Lucasfilm, but it wont be an off year for us fans, considering that we will be getting episode 3 spoilers up the wazoo. I just hope this release for 2004 is just a bare bones version and not the final OT release, because you know there would be no way they could put the same effort that was put into the prequels dvds into this dvd set unless they wait until after episode 3 is done.

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Interesting...I sure hope this is true. It will sure be a real booster before Ep. 3's release. And it will also make millions of fans very happy. :D

14. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    "We've heard from a number of industry sources we trust (and who have proven their reliability in the past) in the last few weeks. They're reporting that Lucasfilm is seriously considering releasing the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD late next year. In fact, our information indicates that some work is already under way toward a 4th Qtr, 2004 release. Word is that Lucasfilm is pleased with the format of The Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Complete DVD Movie Collection they're releasing on 10/21 in conjunction with Paramount - so pleased, in fact, that they're planning to use the same format to release the classic Star Wars films. This would presumably mean a 4-disc set, with a disc for each film and a fourth disc of special edition materials for all three films. It would certainly make sense. First, it would be a great way to get a buzz going into early 2005, when the final film, Episode III, is set to arrive in theaters. Also, Lucasfilm has said in the past that there aren't a lot of behind-the-scenes materials available for the original films, so having a single bonus disc of extras (as opposed to three) would make life easier for them.

Interestingly, as we were working to learn more about this from our sources, we received an e-mail from a Bits reader about a DVD column on the BBC's film site (slide down the page to near the bottom). It seems that Channel.com (sort of a U.K. version of Columbia House, run by Universal) listed the original Star Wars Trilogy as coming to DVD in 2004 in their latest brochure to members.

Of course, we've certainly heard similar reports many times in the past, so we encourage you to take this information with a large dose of salt. Only time will tell if this is... FINALLY... the real deal. At the recent DVD conference in L.A., I spoke with Lucasfilm's Jim Ward, who predictably wouldn't discuss the DVD release plan for the original Star Wars films, other than to say that they WOULD be released on DVD at some point. He did, however, say that Episode III was being well documented for DVD, and he once again noted that the original theatrical versions of these films no longer exist - the new SEs are George's ultimate vision for these films."

-The Digital Bits

15. SuperVader

SuperVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2002
    OT on DVD would be great but still I am a little doubtful that they will pull it off before Episode 3.

16. HaN___DoLO3

HaN___DoLO3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2003
    I'd love if this report were true, but I hope we see an AE somewhere down the road.

The entire 6 part saga, as a whole, in GL's definitive vision.

Too many effects need work, and I'd really like to the saga look it's best whenever it is released on DVD.

17. The Force

The Force Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 1999
    I've heard people mention the "Archival Editions" in the past, but is that confirmed by Lucas? I thought that might be something I was hoping for but might just be a dream.

Personally, I thought GL would wait to release them until after E3, all as a box set. That way they would force us to re-purchase the PT just to get the OT. Lucasfilm is really big on boxed sets: the SE's came out on video as a box and Indiana Jones is doing the same. Hopefully they won't do that to us!

18. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    This could be a very beautiful thing if it happens, and it better. [face_mischief]

And it's also the perfect time to do so. 4TH Quarter 2004 is the best time slot (well, an earlier release couldn't hurt either.) It's early enough to drum up interest for Ep3 in 2005, and these will be the O-OT DVDs millions of fans have been begging for for so long. And in a couple more years, the other fans can enjoy their "Ultimate Editions". So UE fans get what they want. O-OT fans get what they want. This move by Lucasfilm would satisfy so many SW fans, they would be utterly foolish not to do it.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Also, Lucasfilm has said in the past that there aren't a lot of behind-the-scenes materials available for the original films, so having a single bonus disc of extras (as opposed to three) would make life easier for them<<

Ok, that's just utter bunk- there have probably been more behind the scenes documentaries on ANH alone over the past 25 years to fill a single disc, even if you weed out redundant material.

The Making of Star Wars & From Star Wars To Jedi: The Making of the Saga would fill most of a disc themselves.

And you still have to factor in room for deleted scenes (which we know they have copies of in most cases), the ESB asteroid field to storyboard comparison, ROTJ animatics, Lapti Nek music video, the 5 billion trailers and TV spots made for the saga, the special edition documentaries, the tons of interviews held over the years (from the Definitive Edition LD, the THX releases, etc), "fun" clips like Chewbacca's award ceremony from MTV, documentaries on spinoff products ala the Starfighter doc on TPM- and that's just what I can list off of the top of my head.

Each film deserves their own extras disc on top of a 7th disc to hold FSWTJ:TMOAS, etc.

20. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I would love to see a two-disc set for each film as well, but for now, even a four-disc format is good enough. I'm afraid a seven-disc set may be priced too high for the average consumer and Lucasfilm seems more interested in mass sales. Make no mistake, I would buy it in a heartbeat even if it were over $100, but I just don't see Lucas bringing long-awaited DVDs as a 7-disc monster set -- at least not now.

I just remembered that the eventual DVDs will most likely be the Special Editions, so I hope Lucasfilm figures out a way to bring the O-OT to DVD too.

What I think George should do is release the O-OT in 2004, and then release the UE (or "AE") in 2006/2007. Forget the SEs. Sadly, I don't really see this happening.

21. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>"and he once again noted that the original theatrical versions of these films no longer exist -"

LIE!

:mad:

The whole point of the Special Edition project was to restore the original theatrical version of the film, because the film stock had deteriorated so badly that if it wasn't done then, it would never be able to be released again- this was done by cleaning up the original, 1977 print, which had been in the Lucasfilm archives since 1977.

Other prints were in existence- such as the various re-releases, or the master used to make the THX laserdiscs in the mid-90s.

Then ILM did their techno-jiggery and made Han shoot first etc.

22. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I've heard people mention the "Archival Editions" in the past, but is that confirmed by Lucas?

Lucas hasn't said anything, but John Williams has talked about adding the Imperial March to ANH, and Jimmy Smits has said that Bail Organa may be added to ANH.

23. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I'll keep a hopeful open mind about this. A standard OT DVD release, then a Saga DVD set later on with all the bells and whistles would be great.

24. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Either/or is fine by me.
    I mean, I can wait till after E3 if he chooses (only because I'm anticipated E3 anyway). However, if he realeases a barebones sooner, I don't think I cuold resist :p

25. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    What does he mean with the "new" special editions?

I'm only aware of the Special Editions, not of the "new" special editions. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.