main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General BBC Movie Music Season

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SithLordDarthRichie, Sep 13, 2013.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    BBC Four has been doing a show called The Sound of Cinema: Music That Made the Movies. The first part was on Thursday and was very interesting, the next part will be this coming Thursday.
    It showed how music evolved from the birth of film right up today, particularly the orchestral score.

There was also a Radio 3 show on today called Sound of Cinema featuring silent movie pianist Neil Brand.

Anyone else catch these? The BBC Four series should be very interesting, not sure what else will be coming in the next few weeks so keep an eye out.

Yoshee likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Radio 3 had Christopher Lee on Sound of Cinema Saturday Classics earlier today. Not bad. It was on from 3-5PM. Lee spoke about music that has inspired him. If you're a Lee fan you might want to see if it's on PlayAgain/iPlayer.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    There will be Radio 3 concert at 7:30pm featuring music from - The Magnificent Seven, Ed Wood, Vertigo, Batman, Laura, Taxi Driver, Indiana Jones & On the Waterfront

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I might listen to that. There isn't much on TV tonight that interests me other than the Nat Geo 'Ultimate Airport Dubai ' series starting at 9PM and I'll record that since it goes til 11PM.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    They also had a concert on Monday night but I missed it.

All this week Radio 3 has stuff in the morning relating to movies, normally stuff from early films.

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've been catching some of that. Also 'Composer of the Week' has been doing film music.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Good episode of The Sound of Cinema tonight, followed by the Scorsese movie Mean Streets which it featured.

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    BBC News

So Star Wars won the vote for the UK's top music theme. The linked article mentions that John Williams will be talking about writing the theme on Composer of the Week next week. (The show is normally on Radio 3 Mon-Fri from 12:00-1:00 PM with a repeat from 6:30-7:30 PM the same day.)

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Interesting so far, though these days I much prefer listening to Williams talk than hear his music which I know very well and have good recordings of.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure it's a repeat - at least the interview part is. They said yesterday that Friday's show will be about the PT.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I've heard him interviewed on Radio before. I doubt they'll bring up anything about his future projects and the next SW movies.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think he was Composer of the Week not too long ago and the interview was done in LA for that. It might have been prior to the Ep VII announcement.

Edit - and the intro to today's episode just confirmed that the interview was done last year.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah it was the one for his 80th Birthday stuff I believe