main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

BBC2 tonight: Horizon:Survivor's Guide to Plane Crashes & This World: Tea Boy of Gaza

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by darth_boy, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Padawan star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Horizon
    9:00pm - 9:50pm

1/8 - The Survivor's Guide to Plane Crashes

Science documentary series. Despite a widespread fear of flying, few people realise that most plane crashes have survivors and that there are many things that you can do to increase your chances of staying alive. This film investigates the latest scientific research and meets people to discover what they did to survive under horrific circumstances.

This World: The Tea Boy of Gaza
    9:50pm - 10:30pm
    1/6

International investigative documentary series tells the story of Mahmoud, a 12-year-old boy who supports his family by selling tea in Gaza's biggest hospital. Filmed before and during the recent Israeli re-occupation of the Gaza Strip, the film uses Mahmoud's experiences, as well as remarkable access inside the Hamas Prime Minister's office, to show the reality of life under the new Palestinian Hamas government.

Looks like really interesting stuff, from 2 generally very high quality shows.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 8

Oct 3, 2003
    Horizon is brilliant.
    I always watch it.

3. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Think i'd rather watch it than that thing on ITV with that eastenders idiot.

4. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Yeah it is. I always thought it was one of those typically boring programs, until I saw it at school in science once (this was many years ago though...)

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It is often a bit of a scare show, with stories of how the world will be destroyed by things. but it's very informative and compelling.

I like all the stuff on Civilisations and Space that it does.

6. GeneralGrievous1

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, I remember one of the scary ones. It was about Comets/Asteroids crashing into earth and kept saying that a big one is likely to crash into the earth during our lifetimes! Aaaaah!

I too like the space ones. Interesting stuff.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod star 9 Staff Member Administrator

May 25, 2002
    I'm glad I am not flying anywhere anytime soon - Horizon, though very good, kinda lessened my desire to step foot on a plane. (And yes, I have flown quite a few times before).

8. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    lol tell me about it!

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Fascinating it is, but it does make you paranoid and worries.
    It's good at that.

10. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I love airline probability stats. You are far more likely to die by being sat on by a donkey than in an air crash.

Furthermore - there's a very simple way to reduce the probability that there is a bomb on your flight. Take your own bomb on the plane, because the probability of there being two bombs on the same aircraft is far lower than there being only one.

11. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    I found the brace position interesting. What if you're over 5'3"? There's not enough room to get your head down. If I tried I'd probably snap my spine on impact.
    I thought the 'count the headrests' thing was a good idea. Maybe they shoult put lights in the headrests to help direct you to exits

12. GeneralGrievous1

Feb 6, 2005
    Tonight's sounds interesting...and scary.

By 2029 it's predicted that computer intelligence will equal the power of the human brain. Now this simple idea is dividing the scientific community. For some it heralds endless possibilities - we will be able to download our minds to computers extending our lives indefinitely. For others, this moment will lead to the destruction of the human race by giving rise to ultra intelligent machines. One thing they all agree on is that coming of this moment and whatever it brings is inevitable.

[face_worried] [face_worried] Is this really another threat to the human race? We've already got to worry about nuclear wars and global warming...now robot wars too? Pretty screwed aren't we.

13. Everton

Everton Force Ghost star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Data or Lore? That is the question. :p

14. GeneralGrievous1

Feb 6, 2005
    The new series starts on Tuesday and is about human's having Dinosaurs as pets if the meteor that killed them had missed!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/programme.shtml?day=tuesday&service_id=4224&filename=20070313/20070313_2100_4224_7176_50

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not sure humans would've evolved if the Dinosaurs had remained.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.