main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends B'disth (Qui Obi JA AUish, Mush, Angst) Chapter 19 posted 5/26

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by adawn, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adawn

adawn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2005
    "With due respect to the members of the Council," Qui-Gon said quietly, "you must be out of your minds."

Obi-wan bit his lip, although he wasn't sure whether it was to hold back a grimace or a giggle.

"Qui-Gon, we've barely spoken five words to you, how can you possibly object to this mission already."

"One of the five words was 'undercover'" There was still no emotion escaping in his voice. You'd have thought he was talking about his tunics or the weather instead of a mission. Even though it did not appear in his voice, the anger and frustration Qui-Gon was feeling was evident in their bond.

"There is a group of mystics near the outer rim who are kidnapping men and children in an effort to try and solve one of their species great mysteries. They believe there is power in certain types of relationships - particularly in ones that their kind does not develop - and that if somehow they can harness this power than can achieve a greater existence for their people. They have yet to succeed, but they are still abducting men and children at an increased rate and either killing them when they fail or selling them into slavery."

Obi-wan stiffened, and seconds later he felt his Master's hand on his should give a reassuring squeeze.

"I will not take part in anything that requires Obi-wan to pose as my slave. The Council has given its permission for far too many of those types of missions recently, and ---"

"Remain silent you will, until briefing over, it is!"

Qui-Gon swallowed his anger visibly but said only "Yes, Master."

"We are not asking you to pose as a Master Slave pair. The B'disth, as they are known, seek to capture the relationship that is between a father and child. They have created a retreat-like area of their planet as a lure for fathers and their children to attend on holiday. There they seem to try and set up events and circumstances to trigger the so-called power that is the output of any father-child relationship."

//Output? How silly. Someone ought to tell them that it's love and that the only output of love is more love, and you can't bloody bottle that and drink it!//

//Um, Master, your shields...//

Qui-Gon glanced at him quickly. //You're correct, Padawan. My apologies.//

After a few more minutes of background information, Qui-Gon seized his moment. "With respect to my Padawan, Obi-wan is still far too young for an undercover mission. Why are you requesting us?"

"For one, precisely because he is so young. In all the families that have gone missing, the children were under 14 standard years."

"But still, there are plenty of young teams --"
    "None of them have the strength of bond that the two of you do, Qui."

For the first time, perhaps since Master Tahl, Obi-wan saw his Master left speechless, without an argument. It was intriguing.

"When would we leave?"
    "Five days time."
    "We accept."

Obi-wan had just enough time to bow to the council before scurrying after his Master, who by that time was half way down the corridor.

"Are you upset Master? I understand this mission may make you uncomfortable..." Obi-wan asked as he set about preparing tea.
    "It does make me uncomfortable, but not in the way you're imagining Obi-wan."
    "I don't understand."
    "What is your greatest weakness in lightsaber fighting?"
    "My left-sided defense and retreat."
    "Right. If you were to go away on a mission, you wouldn't be very happy if your enemies knew that, would you?"
    "No....but how does this..."
    "Ah, you'll understand when you're older Padawan," he replied as headed for the fresher. The younger jedi stuck out his tongue. Qui-Gon paused.
    "How...charming, Padawan mine."
    "Just practicing Master."

"Eleven! Eleven! And I am NOT short!"
    "I see you've found our mission notes, Obi-wan."
    "Why in Sith's hell did they have to make me 11?"
    "I'm sure they had their reasons beyond the joy of torturing you.

"Am I really that short, Master?" Qui-Gon only stood, and cocked an eyebrow at his apprentice. "Well, I guess I am sort of asking

2. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    That was great! Wonderful job...:D

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Very Nice
    So far light and mushy but
    I expect it will become, a more dangerous mission
    I hope there will be more mush to come

terrific start=D=

4. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    Nice beginning! :)

5. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Aww, great start, adawn! :D

I loved that the council is sending them becuase they have the strongest master/padawan bond of any pair they could've sent. And that was great how that was what made Qui accept the mission. [face_love]

And I loved the mush, awwww! [face_love]

The younger jedi stuck out his tongue. Qui-Gon paused.
    ?How...charming, Padawan mine.?
    ?Just practicing Master.?
    [face_laugh]

?Master, what was that??
    ?Just practicing, Padawan.?
    :p

Can't wait for more! [face_batting]

6. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    *giggle* they are so bloody cute...and 11...haha! But he is short, poor thing. First a tall Master, then a tall Padawan for him...hehehe....

Can I be PMed with updates, assuming you're keeping a list?

7. adawn

Oct 16, 2005
    kenobiwanobi: Thanks, glad you liked it.

Gkilkenny: It will definitely get more dangerous, and there will certainly be more mush!

MASTER_KAYM: Thank you!

Bastet: I figured Qui would be pretty hard pressed to come up with an excuse after that sort of admission from the Council. More is on its way!

Lady_Snow_Kaguya: I hadn't thought about keeping a list, you're the first request to be on one! But perhaps I will now!

8. adawn

Oct 16, 2005
    (Four days later)

?Master, you do recall that we have that meeting for ? er, costuming ? tonight after last meal, right??

?I have not forgotten Obi-wan. Last meal is not long from now.?

?No, no it's not.?

?Is something troubling you, young one??

Kneeling quietly at the older man's feet, Obi examined his fingers for a moment. ?Do you think they'll make me get rid of my braid, Master??

Qui-gon's eyes softened, matched only by his heart. ?I'm afraid I don't know, Padawan. But even if they do, we will make you another upon our return, made up of your old one, new hair, and some of my own. Does that sound all right?? he had taken to playing with the braid in question while answering the boy, an unconscious habit of late.

?Yes, that would be all right.? Obi replied quietly, resting his head and arms on his Master's knees. ?What am I supposed to call you Master??

?Whatever comes naturally Obi-wan, it matters not.?

?You have no preference??

?Life as a Jedi rarely allows for contemplation of such things, Padawan.?

?Oh, right.?

?Shall we look over the final notes the Council sent us?? he could feel the nod to the affirmative against his knees, and not wanting to disturb his charge, he called the data pad to him with the force.

?Suggested Character Notes? he read aloud, ?how gracious of them. It seems you are to be Ben and I Kylo. In the patriarchal style this would make you Ben di Kylo, I am given the privilege of defining my own ancestor name, it appears.?

?May I suggest Kylo di Yoda??

?Funny,? Qui-gon replied with a short tug at Obi-wan's braid for punctuation.

?As you already know they've set Ben to be eleven standard years, and strongly suggest that you play him to be timid and shy.?

?Why? Why can't I just be me but called Ben?? Obi-wan's head snapped up from his resting spot. ?What do they suggest for you??

?Oooh, they don't really...? Obi-wan snatched the datapad, and after a second, began laughing outright.

?Well now I know these personality characteristics are definitely jokes! They say you should go for 'relaxed and jovial'! Ha! Have they met you??
    ?Give me that, you brat!?
    ?Hee, 'relaxed and jovial'.?

?While I suspect my suggestions had a certain sense of amusement behind their origin, yours, Obi-wan, make fair tactical sense.?
    ?How so??
    ?By playing shy and timid it allows you to be more, clingy, to be attached to my hip so to speak. This will allow for heightened safety, as you won't have your lightsabre, and our bond will not be able to solve all issues.?
    ?Of course it has to make sense,? the boy grumbled.

As they left for the dining hall, Qui-Gon motioned for his apprentice to step forward to be directly at his side. ?We leave in the morning, and we might as well start to break this habit now.? Obi-wan understood, but the looks and whispers being sent in his direction ? presumably as a result of his boldness ? made him quickly uncomfortable. It only got worse as they made their way through the dining hall to a certain table of Masters where Qui-Gon apparently wanted to take their meal.

As they reached the table one of the Masters stated plainly, ?Have you forgotten your place, Padawan Kenobi??

Almost instantly Obi-wan felt himself blush, his eyes hitting the floor. He stumbled quickly trying to get to a proper Padawan's position, three steps back and to the left, but in his rush only managed to hide himself behind his Master's larger form, grasping the man's tunic for balance. Qui-gon caught him by the arm before he could fall.

?It's ok, Obi-wan.? he said quietly, bringing the boy back to a place at his side. Addressing the other Master, and more subtly the rest of the hall he stated ?We thank you for your concern, but Obi is exactly where he needs to be, and with my leave. Take a seat Padawan.?

Once he was seated, Qui-gon crouched down to Obi-wan's eye level. ?I shall fetch our meals and return, do you have a preference??
    Oh force, he isn't! He can't possibly think of bringing me my meal after that d

9. kenobiwanobi

Jun 26, 2005
    Cute second post[face_love] ....any chance you could PM me with updates?:confused:

10. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

How sweet
    Obi-wan calls him Papa

wonderful mush[:D]

11. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Awe that's cute! If only it was going to stay like this, but the thread does say Angst..

More soon!

12. adawn

Oct 16, 2005
    Quick question:

When people ask to be PM'd do they mean the whole update or just a note that it's been posted?

Thanks, and glad you're all enjoying it so far!

13. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Just a note saying that you've update [face_smile]

14. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    I'd appreciate being added to the PM list if you've got one for this...

This is very sweet, and well written. Being an Obi/Qui fanatic, I'm sure to stick with you on this one.

More soon!

-DS

15. TheLurker

TheLurker Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2005
    This is really good. I love the banter that Qui and Obi have going. Interesting storyline, too.
    And if you're doing a PM list, I'd love to be added to it :D

Cheers,
    ~Rhi

16. adawn

Oct 16, 2005
    ?There are an awful many beds in this room.? Qui-Gon noted, as one of the staff led them upstairs.

?Yes sir, this is one room of two where the children sleep.?
    ?Do you mean to say that my son will no be bunking with me??
    ?Well no. The children like it, it's like a sleep away for them, and it gives the fathers a chance for privacy.?

Obi-wan tried to think of onions and smoke and sad things to fill his eyes with tears. He grabbed Qui-gon's tunic and clutched it for all he was worth. ?Papa, I...? was all he got out before his throat closed. //I have a bad feeling about this Master. They are trying to separate us on purpose//

//As do I Padawan. But it may be the only way to find out what they're doing.// In front of the staff member he frowned and looked down at his charge. Thank the force Obi-wan was acting, because if he was forced to look upon that sad face often...

?I would really prefer my son to stay with me.? Qui-gon stated powerfully, but refrained from using a force suggestion.

?I'm sorry, sir? their guide Shasue responded, ?but it's resort policy. If we make one exception...?

?Yes, of course. I understand.? Obi-wan pressed closer into his side, trembling slightly.
    ?I want to go home, papa.? Qui-Gon sighed and looked down at the boy wishing he was as good an actor as his apprentice. Prying smaller hands from his tunics and stepping back a bit from the boy.

?My Ben. It will be fine, I promise. Do you really want to go home? We've been looking forward to this trip for quite some time haven't we??

?Yes, Da? came the quiet response.

Qui-gon lifted Obi-wan's chin to look the boy closer in the eye. ?Nothing is going to happen to you here Ben.? Obi-wan did not look him in the eye, but sent across their bond //Remember our background, Master. Even scaredy-bantha Ben is not worried about himself.//

//Yes, thank you, my diligent Padawan. 'Scaredy-bantha'?// the amused thought was sent back. To shasue neither changed outwardly at all.

?My boy,? the older man bent down further, ?nothing is going to happen to me here either.?

?I'm gonna go put my stuff away, Da.? Obi-wan replied stiffly. //I shall meet you in your quarters, Master. I need a break from being so depressed.//

As Obi-wan turned into the children's dorm, Qui-gon turned to Shasue in explanation. ?We lost his mother just over a standard year ago while we were away from home. He tends to be . . . cautious with me now.? he gave their guide a self-deprecating smile.

?I understand, sir. I am sorry for your loss.?

?Thank you.?

?Shall I show you to your room, sir??

?Kylo, please.?

?Kylo, right this way.?

Several minutes later while Qui-Gon was unpacking his things, he sensed Obi-wan appraching his door, and soon enough the boy was poking his head in through the door.

//Remain in role, please Padawan. We don't know if we're being watched.//

//Yes, Master. It's very tiring being so sad all the time, though.// With that thought he threw himself with great verve right onto the middle of his Master's bed. After a few minutes of sighing dramatically and staring at the ceiling, Obi-wan felt himself being lifted and set on his feet on the floor. Responding to the genuine astonished look on his apprentice's face, Qui-Gon said aloud,

?Come now youngling, help your old Da unpack his things so we won't be late for last meal. It's to be served in less than an hour in the central dining lounge.?

//I'm touched, Obi-wan, that you've chosen the language of your homeland to name me your Da,// Qui-Gon sent mentally across their bond, and then quieter, //and your Papa.//

//It's nice to name you out loud how I think of you in private// he heard in response, and felt the boy's mental blush. Indeed, Qui-gon had to take a moment to collect himself at the confession, able only to say outloud,

?Thank you, little one.?

Unexpectedly he heard a giggle behind him, and Obi-wan calling out ?Papa what do you think??
    Turning, he couldn't help but chuckle at the sight of the boy wearing one of his t

17. adawn

Oct 16, 2005
    kenobiwanobi Thanks, consider yourself pm'd!

Gkilkenny I'm a sucker for mush, glad you like it!

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi I took awhile (I was sick) but there's the update. And even the beginning of some angst!

-Darksaber- I've added ya to the PM list. I hope you will stick with this :)

TheLurker I find the banter the hardest part, so I'm glad you like it. I've added you to the PM list :)

18. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    ?Well now I know these personality characteristics are definitely jokes! They say you should go for
    'relaxed and jovial'! Ha! Have they met you??
    ?Give me that, you brat!?
    ?Hee, 'relaxed and jovial'.?

*snerk*

Obi-wan seemed to be taking his role to heart, and whined about every second aspect of the food. It was
    either 'gross', still 'alive', 'too spicey' or 'cold'. Until of course, dessert, which was apparently
    perfect and coincidentally sugar and cocoa covered

That is so me its not even funny....whenever I eat foreign food for the first time, I always prey dessert will be really suggery..XD

and [face_worried] here we go again.....eep! This was so cute right up the the end.....and now panicked!Qui-gon...joy lOL

19. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Poor Obi-wan always being drugged
    or something.

What a cliffe[face_devil]

Great Post[:D]

20. kenobiwanobi

Jun 26, 2005
    oh Noooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the PM/

21. TheLurker

TheLurker Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2005
    Uh oh. Now what? Who could be drugging my poor, sweet Obi?
    More soon please :D
    And thanks for the PM :D

~Rhi

22. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Hehe, that was entertaining!! But oh no, now we have the angst coming! *gets her tissues ready*

More soon!

23. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    hehe I love how they play their part! And what's going to happen to Obi!? :eek:

24. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Loving Obi-Wan's adorable acting.

It was either 'gross', "still alive', 'too spicey' or 'cold'.

Sounds like me....:p

25. Just-Plain-Shmi

Just-Plain-Shmi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    I read the first post and enjoyed it very much. I will come back and finish reading very soon. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this story posted. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.