main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ BDO 2006! Looking damn good already!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by jp-30, Oct 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    * LIST OF ACTS ANNOUNCED FOR BIG DAY OUT 2006: Plus my reactions in emoticons

THE WHITE STRIPES =P~
    Since their last BDO visit in 2002, our old friends Jack and Meg have dropped two universally acclaimed albums, "Elephant" and this year's "Get Behind Me Satan", not to mention an era-defining single in the shape of "Seven Nation Army". They are the rock icons of our time, topping charts worldwide and selling a quarter of a million albums in Australia alone. Their simple, two-person, guitar and drums line-up belies a huge blues/garage/country/folk/rock'n'roll cacophony.

IGGY & THE STOOGES [face_dancing]
    "Search and Destroy", "I Wanna Be Your Dog", "No Fun," "Down on the Street" ? THE STOOGES' dangerous and grimy '60s-'70s catalogue was the blueprint for every punk rock, garage rock and metal band to come. After 30 years apart, THE STOOGES reformed in 2003 to contribute to Iggy's album "Skull Ring" and to play a string of rapturously received shows. This is the iconic IGGY POP and the original underground sound of THE STOOGES.

FRANZ FERDINAND =D=
    BIG DAY OUT is thrilled to have the Scots with the mostest along for the ride. Universally acclaimed as the album of 2004, FRANZ FERDINAND's self-titled debut has now been topped by the brand new "You Could Have It So Much Better" . It's more dramatic, more emotional, more three dimensional. Not just new wave, FRANZ offer a new world: rock music with style, sexual intrigue, smarts, and more plenty of room for dancing. They've conquered the world ? what chance does the BIG DAY OUT stand?

KINGS OF LEON :cool:
    These southern boys should charm the pants right off the BIG DAY OUT. The Followill boys (three brothers and one cousin) burst out of Nashville in 2003 with "Youth and Young Manhood", a butt-kicking debut of garage rock, boozy blues, rootsy riffs and a dash of country. Soon the uber-cool foursome were gracing the covers of rock mags across the globe, and gracing the 2004 BIG DAY OUT stage. From the first album's primal rock, KOL leapt into darker, more emotional territory with last year's "Aha Shake Heartbreak".

THE MARS VOLTA [face_tired]
    Led by former At the Drive-In vocalist Cedric Bixler-Zavala and guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, THE MARS VOLTA have taken music to new frontiers over two mind-blowing concept albums, "De-Loused in the Comatorium" and "Frances the Mute". Beyond genres, they blend sci-fi, primal punk, electronic pulses, hair-raising vocals, Latin grooves and classic rock with a charisma and conviction you can't tear your eyes or ears away from. More than just a live show, THE MARS VOLTA are an experience.

Also pencilled in ?

A FIRE INSIDE :confused:
    SLEATER-KINNEY =D=
    THE MAGIC NUMBERS :-B
    SOULWAX :confused:
    2MANYDJs [face_dancing]
    THE LIVING END [face_talk_hand]
    GERLING [face_not_talking]
    DEI HAMO [face_thinking]
    FAT FREDDY'S DROP :D
    ELEMENO P [face_thinking]
    THE BLEEDERS [face_thinking]
    CHE FU :)
    PLUTO [face_hypnotized]
    FRONTLINE :confused:
    THE BRUNETTES :)

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Wow JP that is a lot of smileys!!!

Nothing in that list are wetting my appetite at the momemnt. Maybe The Living End but i've seen them before.

3. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Meh the line up could've been better, BDO 2006 will be my first big day out that I will be attending..

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    1006 blows 2005's away. And besides this is only the first announcement. There will be two further major lineup announcements.

5. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    1006? to bad I don't have a time machine!

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Smarty-pants.

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    yup, definately agree with JP ... probably the best "indie" lineup since the heyday of the mid 90s. Franz Ferdinand and The White Stripes are both _amazing_ live bands, I've heard The Magic Numbers are absolutely incredible live, and seeing Iggy Pop will be pretty amazing too.

and that's only te first announcement. heard rumours that another big headliner could be Pixies ... which would possibly send me totally insane with excitment,

Solo77 ... you're seriously only excited about The Living End? jeeze ... you can lead a horse to water, etc. etc.

8. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah none of those other bands do it for me.

2005 lineup>>>>>>>>>2006, where are the real head lining acts??

9. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    since when were the frickin' STOOGES not a headling act? Jeeze ... again ... horse/water/drink argument. There'd be no Living End without Iggy. There'd probably have been np punk without Iggy, period.

10. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I'm going with the older folk. Solo, you need to broaden you're musical vocabulary. This line up seems tasty... and I've never been interested in a BDO - didn't even go for Beasties, nor the Foo's the year before.. The Police would have to be there for me to go... almost :p

I've love to see Snow Patrol get into it though, I'd go for that, and I'd be there for incubus.

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    There are always plenty of Police at the BDO's Marky-Mark. So you needn't worry about bad-guys getting you.

12. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    ha ha ha ho ho ho he he he.

13. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    I've heard a rumour Audioslave maybe coming, if this turns out to be ture this may just sway me.

Although the rest of the day will be spent boozing as i have no real inteterst in the other bands.

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Audioslave = poo.

Bring back Rage I say!

It's just Sound Garden. I mean, they've all mellowed and Chris' voice is so damn obvious you can't even say it's a new band really.

meh, I liked their album when it first came out, but I'm over it and find myself clicking "next" in itunes when on shuffle and cochise or something starts playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.