1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Adelaide (21-23rd November) | Brisbane (28th-30th November)

FF:QLD Be Afraid: Fear in North American Cinema 27 February - 22 March 2009

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Magnus_Darcrider, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Greetings All,

The Australian Cinematheque at the Queensland Gallery of Modern Art is currently showcasing a North American Horror Film Festival until late March. The program is only taking post World War 2 films, and is divided into loose categories of "Modern Monsters", "Altered States" and "Nature's Revenge". Where they could, the museum has acquired 35mm prints of these films to show.

It began on the 22nd with a showing of an original 1979 35mm print of Halloween. I and a few others managed to get to this, and it was the cultural significance of this film that most impressed upon us; it was the Teen Slasher Playbook, and films have been aping it ever since.

I originally wasn't going to put info up but just let it spread by word of mouth. But I was reminded that many of these films are classics with great cultural impact, so hopefully you'll join myself and scoff as we watch some of these.

The full program is available from here. However, scoff and I (at least) plan to attend the following films. Note that these aren't double features, but films being shown back to back. Tickets are $8 per film, $6 for concessions, with 5 ticket passes $35/$25 respectively.

Friday, March 6 @ 7pm - A Nightmare on Elm Street & The Exorcist. This is a double feature almost guaranteed to make me scream and soil myself ;) You can come along to witness that unmanly spectacle, or you can take in some great and signficant films. The original Nightmare is a little masterpiece that cemented Wes Craven as a great horror director, and still has some masterful techniques on display that I'd argue it doesn't need to be remade. The Exorcist is probably the Citizen Kane of disturbing thrillers, it stays with you.

Sunday, March 8 @ 4pm Psycho. Albert Hitchcock's original classic. probably laughable by today's standards, but I've never seen it, and I've always wanted to.

Thursday, March 12 @ 7pm - Invasion of the Body Snatchers & Alien. This is the original Body Snatchers, so seeing it on the big screen is a big deal for me. And I'm not sure if I ever saw Alien on the big screen before!

Friday, March 13 @ 7pm - The Evil Dead & Friday the 13th. The low budget film that made Bruce Campbell's career, and the second of the original trilogy of teen slasher films.

Saturday, March 14 @ 4pm - The Shining & Scream. I never saw this Kubrick Classic; apparently author Stephen King hated it, but the fans and critics can't all be wrong. And Scream was what happened when a pre-teen kid told Wes Craven that he wasn't hardcore anymore. That'll learn 'im :p

Sunday, Macrh 15 @ 1pm - The Blob & The Fly. This are both remakes, and while I can't speak for The Blob, this Cronenberg film is amazing and comes highly recommended.

Thursday, March 19 @ 7pm - Cloverfield & The Blair Witch Project. I might take a dramamine before these :p Cloverfield is a great take on the monster movie genre, and I've never see Blair Witch, but it's pedigree is good, and it's be worth visiting now that the hype is long dead.

Okay...that's a lot of movies...Join us for some of these, or all if you'd like :p But there are plenty of other movies on in the program, and I strongly recommend you try some of them out.

Hope you can join us.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.