main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Be Cool...Stay in School

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AniPadmeLurker, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Must. Revive. Thread.

So school is in a small lull right now, meaning time for me to slack off again until i get piled with work. Also I'm sick right now which makes me not want to do anything.

I haven't read the assigned Mansfield Park, I lower my head in shame DH. But this is, as admitted by the teacher, the most boring of the books. I will read it...in class today while she talks.

Tap is getting harder.

I skipped Brit Lit yesterday because of a headache...and episode III extras that needed to be watched.

watched rocky in my film class. Star wars is due on thurs...I have a test i have to take online now in that class.

I accidentally brought the wrong paper for my other english class and have to turn it in today-but so far that's the slack off class.

Life is good.[face_worried]

2. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    The two JA books that I struggled to stay awake while reading were "Emma" and "Mansfield Park". I almost gave up on JA because of Mansfield Park. It was a yawn fest. The movie wasn't bad though. It starred Johnny Lee Miller. He was in "Trainspotting" but was much cooler and cuter in MP.

3. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    I got a C on my Austen paper. I don't think this teacher likes me. I always talk in class adn she gave me a B- on participation.

I'm never taking her again.

Poopie head.

4. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Mean teacher! I've had my share of teachers who are biased in their likes and dislikes of students. Most of the time I was okay though as there were very few women in engineering school back then. Now, I think everyone takes it because they know the odds are in their favor. Of course that means that you are always around nerdy guys. I'd still love to read it. Perhaps you can email it to me?

5. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    i'm almost ashamed to show it to anyone, because even though I think she still graded unfairly, it's not at it's best.
    But i will.

I skipped my Enlgish Composition/REading blah blah too much work class today. We're watching the play Antigone, and I stayed out late last night so...bye bye class.

Today is STAR WARS in my music/film class..I'm so excited. THis'll help me since my report is on Revenge of the sith.

6. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Well, I read APL's essay and I found it amusing and clever. Of course I'm not an English teacher so I can't grade it like an English assignment but a lot of your points were very insightful. I had some problems with converting it (it was not a word doc) but after that was done I found it very interesting. Thanks for sharing it with me. :)

BTW, is Professor Lau a man or a woman?

7. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    I took several film classes where we studied different genres or styles of film. I took a Hitchcock class, a European Cinema class (Truffaut, Fellini, Antonioni, Bergman, etc), and a Politics in film class (Dr, Strangelove, Casablanca, All the presedents Men, eyc)

You know, they were fun, but oh man the lengthy essays we had to write...not exactly "blow-off" classes...

8. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    SO I just did a paper I didn't have to do. why? because my teacher's a flake. it's not due until thurs or next tues...so at least I got it done...the first draft anyway..but still..

Oh, I am loving Emma, it kicks butt..

but

heh

I don't like Beloved...it's weird.

Paradise Lost is cool...and that sums up this past week and so far today.

bring on the stress.

9. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    My little bro just started junior college. Geez, things sure have changed. We went to his computer lab at his college, and he had an English paper due so I helped me with it and you have to login onto this computer...then we uploaded this paper to the professor's inbox. No actual text on real paper anymore? I'm still in the 90s. Anyhow, I'm currently attending this performing arts studio, and I'm doing it for one year but have already been doing it for seven months now. The membership is all paid for, lucky me; this will hopefully spice up my directing and add more strength to my directors' resume. :)
    So stay in school or be a fool, .... you fools.... ;)

10. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Yeah, none of my classes are completely computer, although they offer it, but some parts are. We go on a school website that helps us submit electronic journals and papers..but for the most part paper is stillallowed.

Just finished my tap paper...boy is it a stinker..I guess I shouldn't have left it for the last minute.

I'm supposed to have Emma done by tomorrow...but I laugh hysterically whenever I think about that deadline..soo yeah. She set an unrealistic deadline this time..psycho woman.

11. Jedi_Devi

Jedi_Devi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2003
    Mostly everyone knows this, but I'm in school as well, Loyola Marymount. I study animation, which is why I am so busy. Animation is very, VERY time-consuming, perhaps the most time-consuming major I have ever heard of. I frequently spend nights where I am in the lab animating until 4am.

I was disturbed to find that it took me fourty-five minutes to animate a scene with 8 drawings. And it was only a rough, too.

Anyway, I am also taking figure drawing, sociology, critical thinking (communication studies), and computer graphics/animation.

Fun, but exhausting.

12. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    wow.

It'd be cool to see what you've worked on.

Oh, sorry DH: Professor Lau is Professor Beth Lau..a woman..an uptight one at that.

Finished Emma. It rocked. Sorry, I loved it. Hated Mansfield though...
    now on to the last one..Persuasion.

13. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    I have to keep double posting on my old thread...
    TO KEEP IT ALIVE!

So I have to start my paper for Music/Film class...which I am doing on Ep.3. I need to find a focus though. LIke on, past themes that are brought back (that's the leading idea), or the theme of evil...alot of that, or the use of vocalization..
    you see all my options I have to wrestle with?

I'm reading Persuasion, and it's not so bad.
    I'm reading Beloved and not enjoying it.
    I'm reading Moll Flanders...and I dunno what to think.
    Please make the semester end.

14. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Ok, that's it. I'm sick of working. I don't want to anymore. I want to go back to school and stay there forever.

15. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    There is no way in H E double hocky sticks that I would ever go back to school.

16. DarthMommy

DarthMommy Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2005
    Oh, come on. You were probably a stellar student, SR. Don't you miss all nighters and 15 page papers written about a subject you had no interest in? Ahh, the days. I really don't mind school as long as I don't have to take lame courses like Philosophy or Animals in the Moral Landscape. Yes, that was really a class I took.

17. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Animals in the Moral Landscape? Oh that's just not right. The most unusual class I took was a class on drug addiction. We had to go to AA meetings and I also had to go to prison one evening and interview inmates. I really enjoyed it actually. Made you feel better about your own life.

By the way if you didn't know I was a Social Work major.

18. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I think one of the coolest things about school was rowing the concrete canoe in the annual ASCE competition. Those were the days.

19. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    What?

Concrete canoe?

20. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    It's all about buoyancy. As long as you displace more water than you weigh you will float. It's pretty cool, really. We used chicken wire for the reinforcing and perlite for aggregate. Afterwards, we would smash into each other, essentially destroying the canoes. The only ones to not participate were the guys from UA. They had the most beautiful canoes. One year they painted it brown then painted plank lines so it resembled a wooden runabout. They somehow acquired a Cadillac hood ornament and attached it to the front of the boat. The whole thing was coated with lacquer so it looked like it was a well varnished boat. Too bad it only looked good. There was way too much freeboard because it rode so high and so it was tippy and difficult to manuever and row. It did not do so well in the race but won top marks in the design which is stupid because it was a lousy boat design. No resentment here. [face_frustrated]

21. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Registered for my classes today..and yeah.
    Thanks CSULB. Thanks for making sure I'll never get another writing class again...GAAAAAAh
    So here's what it looks like for next semester...

Roman History
    Science Fiction
    Principles of Literary Study
    Survey of English Lit. part 2
    and I'm waitlisting a Non-fic class. All the other writing classes: FULL. And I'm number 8 on the waitlist...grrrrreat.

stupid impacted program.

22. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Science Fiction? Cool!

23. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Yeah and I'm not even a big scifi book fan. We'll see how it goes. All my fiction classes i needed were full, as was Children's Lit, which i was looking forward to!

working on my SW essay for music/film...

and my new essay on Jane Austen...on Feminism in Emma.

24. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I'm surprised your mean professor did not let you compare Emma with Clueless, which while fairly faithful in parts is sort of icky also.

25. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    I already did an essay on a film adaptation, so I have to choose a different topic. I think instead of feminism in general I'm doing it on two essays, on feminism, that differ greatly...I agree with the one that says Emma is a feminist novel.

I plan on posting my SW essay on my myspace when I'm done, so I'll put the link up here rather than post it here if people are or aren't interested etc..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.