main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Be Cool...Stay in School

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AniPadmeLurker, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Forgot to post this earlier. My SW paper, got full credit and a "Great Work" comment. Very short on words, this guy.

2. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Yeah APL! That's wonderful! =D=

3. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Here we go!

Day one of my Junior Spring Semester...

I have an 8 oclock class then a HUGE break, then a class at 2.
    First class is Roman History, the teacher is a hardbutt, but I like him. The other is Brit Lit, part 2. WAY BETTER teacher this time..I think I have about 17 books this semester.

Oy

4. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Good luck APL! And to all the other students in the LAFF too! :)

5. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I am now a student of life.

6. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I echo JB's sentiments. Good luck to all. Study hard and make us proud. I'm glad you have a better Brit Lit prof, APL.

Go Steelers!

7. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Well the count this semesteris 4. I'm only going to have four classes, Thank God. I can't take anymore than that. Today I had my Literary Theory class(it's as horrid as it sounds) and my Sci Fi class...with the same teacher. A bit boring, but maybe it's because he's a talker. Anyways. Let the madness begin.

8. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I'm starting classes this semester and I'm planning on transfering to USC (we should all know a certain alumini who went there...) and planning on majoring in business and emphasizing on accounting. I know the road will be long and hard but I know the payoff will be grand.

I recommend that everyone do what they have to do to get what they want in life.

9. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Happy studying, kids! I'm so glad I'm done, though every so often I contemplate going back for a masters.

Go Steelers!

10. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I have to write a 30-page research paper this semester. That'll be fun. [face_plain]

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    See, that's why I only contemplate going back. Good luck with your paper, NP.

Go Steelers!

12. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    All I have to say NP is, oy. Oy vey. That's terrible. I'd make myself sick on purpose to miss that one! Man! 30? That sucks.

I've already finished my Roman History reading..now it's on to Brit lit...which isn't too bad so far.

13. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    So here's the update. My tues/thrs SUCK. Becase I have the same boring guy for two harder classes. Theory of Literature is a headache...too much work..too much theory. I'm a Friggin writer here people! I don't care about formalist perspectives on The Tempest.
    And I have him for sci fi...so far we've had to read soooo much. And then we discuss, and by discuss I mean him talking about it.

Mon/Wed is my "good day" if it can be called that. I have my Roman History class which goes by REALLY quick, and my Brit Lit in which the teacher kicks butt.

Oh and I don't remember where i posted this, but the thing where I sent a story in for a school publication/magazine? YEAH< DENIED> oh well, better get used to it.

14. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Which books are you reading in your sci-fi course?

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Poor, APL. Sorry to hear that they did not publish your story. Mean publishers. :mad:

I am also curious to hear what books you'll be reading.

16. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Well we have a couple anthologies of a bunch of stories, but the novels are:
    Left Hand of Darkness (Ursula K. LeGuin)
    The Time Machine (HG Wells)
    Solaris (?)
    a couple others ill post as I read
    and the one we're doing right now: From the Earth to the Moon (which is quite amusing)

17. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Reading about APL's adventures in school makes me think of the time I was in college. Good times though not wanting to repeat.

18. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Solaris is by Stanislaw Lem I believe. I've read and enjoyed all of these -- I hope you do too!

ETA: Sorry to hear about the rejection, but as you said that's a writer's lot! :( Better luck next time!! [:D]

19. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Updating the school thread..others in school do so as well.

Sci fi class: Still sucks big time. I'm late on two assignments that I don't care about. I'm doing C work in that class on purpose. But we are getting into novels now and past the short stories then onto movies. So maybe after spring break I'll be a little more happy with this guy.

English theory: hate this class, but just came up with a n awesome idea for my 3rd essay. equating Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights to other villanous characters throughout time..(one great example that got me going: Darth Vader)

Brit Lit: I like this class still, love my teacher, but lately have grown jaded. I hate this semester.

Roman history: did better on my second test (C plus!) and am memorizing more. Actually doing my work, you know?

So that's this semester. Hopefully I can catch up over Spring Break, because right now I'm putting a lot of it off.

And I already have started to schedule out my next semester. I'm pretty darn sure I'm graduating on time, which means only two more semesters...[face_worried]

20. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Hang in there APL and all you other college folk.

21. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Yeah, so I'm probably withdrawing from calc. I have until Sunday.

If I'd withdrawn earlier, I'd also be doing better in chem and English, both of which I've fallen behind in due first to Alex visiting and going out rather than doing schoolwork, then skipping those classes to "study for calc" (yeah, right). :/

Arg, bringing up this thread is depressing. Nothing good ever happens at school!

22. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Thanks for making me thankful for being done with school. Man!

23. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    How can you have a C in Sci-Fi?!

24. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Sounds to me like APL actually has a lot more interesting schedule than Elensara, evenl though there's a lot of work involved. Ancient history is especially exciting now since scholars are discovering so much of what we thought we knew is wrong. "History is written by the winners," is the saying that comes to mind.

On the other hand, I remember taking a classical philosophy class (Socrates/Plato/Aristotle)thinking it was going to be the best class ever. But, unfortunately, the class was almost exclusively made up of people who could not care less (only taking it because it was an easy elective) and a teacher who stared at the ceiling and merely rerecited the books (almost verbatim). I was very disappointed.

25. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Yeah APL's classes sound better than ES's. But I guess it depends if you like literature over math/science.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.