main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Be-Reeft - The Forgotten Friend

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Musing, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    A question that's been rattling around in my thought processes for a while is why Reeft, supposedly a close friend of Obi-Wan and Bant and Garen, is hardly ever seen in fanfics. When he does appear, it's just as a name in Obi-Wan's circle of friends, rather than as a person in his own right. Is it because he seems to be like Jar Jar Binks - a character that exists solely for comedic relief (i.e. his appetite)? Or am I just reading the wrong stories? Thoughts, anybody?

2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Well, there isn't much to be made with his character from the usual point-of-view, but I guess using his abilities as an information provider could be used to more effects.

Or maybe we're simply xenophobic people who ignore themselves ;)

3. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Reeft just never really interested me. Garen had much more personal depth in the JA books with The Captive Temple, and then with Deceptions. Reeft was just... there. And it probably does have to do with the fact Reeft was more comic like than Garen.

4. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Is lack of detail really a deterrant for a character? Seems to me that it would leave a clear field for a writer to use him as they find appropriate. After all, Reeft does have an important qualification - he's a close friend of Obi-Wan :D.

5. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I think Cynical is about the only writer I have ever seen use Reeft and flesh him out. I think the fact that JW never told much about him even description wise made it easy to ignore him. I've noticed she doesn't mention him in the Jedi Quest books either. It would be interesting to see a writer use him and even create a whole personna for him. :)

6. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I seem to recall seeing a series of stories revolving around Reeft and his Master. I never read them but I think they were on the Classic board. Anyone remember those?

Shaindl

7. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    obi_ew: I remember being somewhat puzzled by how CYNICAL21 cast him in what I think it was her Freeze Frame storyline - she described him as a human. I thought he wasn't. Maybe it was just misinformation?

Shaindl: I never heard of that fanfic - I'd like to read it if anyone knows where it is. Any chance Reeft might make an appearance with lil' Obi and Garen in another Boots-type vignette? That was so cute!

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    The JA books say that Reeft was Dresslian (with leathery grey skin and an abnormally wrinkled face) and always hungry. I don't think he was human but he could have been humanoid.

9. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    This is what i dug up about him.

Reeft:
    this Dresselian boy was one of Obi-Wan Kenobi's best friends, during the time he spent in training at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Reeft was constantly hungry, and would clean all of his friends' plates and still be hungry afterward. He was later chosen to further his training as the padawan of Binn Ibes, and traveled the galaxy for many years. Shortly before the onset of the Clone Wars, Reeft was dispatched to Brentaal IV to capture Rotar Lopani. He returned to Coruscant with Lopani's body, as well as that of a bounty hunter named Tosinqas. Tosinqas had actually found Lopani first and attacked him, just before Reeft found Lopani. Both parties were startled by the presence of the other, and Reeft drew his lightsaberin reaction. Tosinqas charged Reeft, but cut himself in half when he misjudged the blade of the lightsaber. The two deaths raised the ire of both the Galactic Senate and the Bounty Hunter's Guild.

10. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Oh, wow, you remember that viggie? [face_blush] Thanks! Just for that, I'll see if I can come up with something. :)

Cheers,

Shaindl

11. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    jacen20015: Thanks for the info - I now know more about Reeft than just his appetite. :)

Shaindl: I look forward to seeing what further scrapes the three of them fall into. [face_mischief]

12. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Thought I'd up this to say huzzah! Reeft has made an appearance in the flesh, thanks to obi_ew. Be interesting if he plays a bigger-than-usual-for-him part in Live What You Learn. Ah well...must wait on developments. ;)

13. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    I wanted to boot this thread up in honor of Shaindl and obi_ew for their inclusion of Reeft in their fics as more than just a name. =D= Is anyone else planning on using him in their fics somewhere?

On a somewhat different tangent, has anyone tried creating an evil Bant or Garen? Seems like whenever they appear, they're always tried-and-true pals of Obi-Wan, with nary a brush with the Dark Side.

14. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    On a somewhat different tangent, has anyone tried creating an evil Bant or Garen? Seems like whenever they appear, they're always tried-and-true pals of Obi-Wan, with nary a brush with the Dark Side.

Dammit..just what I need, more plot bunnies biting into my legs...

But with one of the stories in the works I've got on my WIP roster, Reeft's in it and somehow he was the easiest to work with even with what little's been said of him.

15. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    I'm just curious, I have read the first JA book but I don't remember this character, if he was there... but his name is very similar to the word bereft. Those of you who know the character a bit, does this seem likely that's where his name came from?

sg

16. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Thanks for the kuddos. Reeft was fun to play with even if he did meet an untimely death in my fic. :(

I can't imagine a story with an evil Bant, but Garen would be great! I think the suggestion for a dark Garen has been mentioned a few times between Shaindl and me but I have yet to convince her to explore it further. ;)

17. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I briefly mentioned Reeft in TRT but I'm planning on giving him more of a role in the next episode.

18. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Lalalalalalalalalalalala....

I can't hear you, OE, I can't hear you! :p

Yes, the idea for a dark Garen has been broached to me. Haven't explored it yet - got too many other PBs on the go. And like OE said, Musing, thanks for the mention. Like I told you I hope to explore Reeft more soon. :)

Shaindl

19. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Vampi_D: It's hard to keep those bunnies from multiplying, isn't it? :D And wouldn't Reeft be one of the easiest canon characters to work with because so little is known of him?

spiritgurl: I haven't a clue as to how Reeft's name originated. "Bereft" means to be deprived of something - maybe it has to do with the way he never seems to get enough food? [face_mischief]

obi_ew: There's got to be an evil Bant somewhere. I admit it would take some doing to picture her thusly, but still, without any dark side to her character, she comes off as rather bland and unrealistic.

jacen200015: I'll have to look up your fic. Thanks for mentioning it.

Shaindl: Oh good - more Reeft! Hmm...if there's a dark Garen somewhere, what about a Bruck who's best buddies with Obi-Wan?

20. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    To be honest, Musing, It's a miracle that I can walk around with how many of those darn bunnies are clinging to my legs. *laughs*

But from my lookings around, there's also not much known about Garen and oddly enough he's given me a bit of grief with the fic.

21. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I'll do evil Bant (bwaaa haa haa haa "my laugh is an evil laugh" I actually even have a bunny that could be converted) if and when Shaindl does evil Garen.

KD

22. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Well I do remember reading a story that had an evil Bant. It may have been a viggie but for the life of me I can't recall where I found it. I suppose anything is possible, I just prefer her as Obi's sweet adoring friend. ;) He's had enough trauma in his life without having his best friend turn on him. :(

23. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Blackmail and bribery aren't going to get you people anywhere. Although it's tempting, KD. :p

Would you people quit putting PBs out there?!? :D

Shaindl

24. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    But OE, who said evil Bant would have to turn on Obi? To keep on topic I think Reeft will have a large part to play in this story if and when I get to it. Thanks, Musing, for starting the thread and thus provoking a good adjustment to one of my bunnies.

Yes, definitely too much with the bunnies. The offer/bribe/threat stands Shaindl.

KD

25. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Hurray! Reeft makes another appearance, courtesy of Neon Star. =D= =D= And such a hilarious one, too! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.