main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tampa, FL Beach Party info. NEW!!

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Sereana_Nightstar, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    Okay, this event was discussed this evening with the members present. What was decided was that we would have more then one official beach party this summer season. The first wil be on June 26th, Sat. in Tarpon Springs at Fred Howard Park. The second one will be on a Sunday, so those who cannot attend on a Sat. will also have a day to have fun.

So be thinking about when we should have this and where.

This will be an official event for the chapter and also family oriented. (kids can come).

What is needed will be coming soon.
    Thanks,
    Marie

2. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    I need to folks that know where this park is to please contact me about the party on June 26th. We need to get this planned and out so the other groups in the area will get the info. in a timely manner.
    Thanks

3. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    http://news.tbo.com/news/MGAEQ51IVED.html

4. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Okay, I need this information if I am to get this out on the internet to other groups...they will need exact directions and maps. Please contact me by this weekend. My time will be very short after memorial day weekend to get this out.

I have no idea where this park is and I have no spare time to research it. This is where you all wanted to have it. This has got to be planned with enough time for folks to plan that day.

Thanks,
    Marie

5. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    The link I posted has all of the info you need.

6. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Unfortunately, I have tried this link several times and it states that this is unavailable. not sure why but it just would not work for me.

7. Xyber_Hex

Xyber_Hex Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2004
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=1700+Sunset+Dr.&city=Tarpon+Springs&state=fl&zipcode=34689&search=++Search++

(Cut and paste the whole link)

TARPON SPRINGS - In a time of overdeveloped coastlines and expensive waterfront land, there is a place where you can enjoy both land and sea without spending a dime.

Gracing the edge of the Gulf of Mexico, Fred Howard Park offers a refreshing and unspoiled beach as the signature gem in a 155-acre park. You drive across a mile-long causeway to reach this paradise.

Gordon and Heather Kuhlman, who live in Tarpon Springs, enjoy the park often, either by themselves or when out-of-state relatives drop by for a visit.

``When it's warm we come here quite often,'' Heather Kuhlman said. ``We barbecue, then head over to the beach.''

The park offers a children's playground, picnic sites and a ball field, and it is a popular spot for windsurfers.

Robin Keenen of Clearwater used to frequent nearby Honeymoon Island until she discovered Howard Park. Her sons, Cody and Christopher, love the trees and the playground, in addition to the beach. Keenen brings the boys to the park as often as she can, especially since it's free.

``I have to get them out of the house, otherwise they're on PlayStation or the computer all day,'' she said. ``It's like a park and a beach in one.''

Howard Park stays clean enough to be named one of the Blue Wave Beaches by the Clean Beaches Council, a nonprofit organization devoted to sustaining America's beaches.

The council's flagship program is the Blue Wave Campaign, America's first environmental certification program for beaches. The program features eight other area beaches, and is based on ratings for water quality, clean and aesthetic beach condition, habitat conservation and erosion management.

An erosion management and beach reconstruction project at Howard Park was completed in January 2003. The project, paid for through a tax on tourist dollars, also included constructing additional beach access and observation areas. Sand from a Lakeland quarry was used in the renourishment.

John and Roseann McCarthy of New Hampshire like to travel. They vacation in Tarpon Springs and enjoy their visits to Fred Howard Park.

``We have a beautiful country,'' said John McCarthy. ``This park is a great example of that.''

Quick facts:

- Fred H. Howard Park is located in north Pinellas County at 1700 Sunset Dr., Tarpon Springs, FL. 34689 (727) 943-4081.

- Initially developed in 1964, the property was donated by the City of Tarpon Springs with the provision that a 1,000-foot public beach be provided.

- Since it opened on March 17, 1966, the park's popularity has increased steadily.

- Attendance exceeds 2 million visitors annually.

- Friends of Howard Park, formed in December 2001, provides public support for the park through fundraising, educational activities and volunteer programs.

If you go:

- Hours: Daily from 7:00 a.m. until dark.

- Amenities: Showers, swimming, fishing, picnic tables, picnic shelters, charcoal grills, ball field and play ground.

- Kayaking: Kayak routes available. http://www.clubkayak.com/cfkt/trips/trip1.html

- Diving: Certified divers can explore a cave just off the road that leads to the beach. http://www.floridacaves.com/howard.htm

- Windsurfing: Fred Howard Park Windsurfers. http://www.snailspace.net/clubfred/index.html

8. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Thanks!! I did find maps and directions under the parks dept. for the county. I called and all the pavillions are already reserved for that Sat.....

But there are picnic benches and they can be moved together for a gathering....however; some of us need to get there early like 8 AM that day to grab some of these and move them together.

I will be there early and at least claim one until I get some help with the moving part.

The menu is simple so we do not have any problems with hot weather food problems.....hot dogs, buns, hamburgers, buns, chips, drinks, ice, watermelon, marshmallows, plates, cups, (cans would eliminate cups), plastic ware and condiments.
    Parents please realize that the beach is at the end of the one mile causeway. You can walk or drive from the parking lot. There is also several playgrounds around, frisbee anyone??!!!!!

Marie

9. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    food list:

Hotdogs Marie
    marshmallows Marie
    charcoal Marie
    sodas (some) & ice Marie

we still need:

hamburgers
    hotdog buns
    hamburger buns
    a watermelon
    condiments
    chips
    sodas, ice
    coolers

Please be careful with anything that might turn in hot weather as it must be kept very cold to prevent bacteria.

Also, too messy side dishes can be a problem so lets keep it simple. If you need refrigeration for your item please provide that yourself.

I also assume that alcohol and glass containers are NOT allowed, for everyones safety.

Ross please let me know where you sent invites to so I can post the link to the park and also a food list.
    Thanks,
    Marie

10. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    I'll bring watemelon and ice. I have two large coolers, one on wheels.

11. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    food list:

Hotdogs Marie
    marshmallows Marie
    charcoal Marie
    sodas (some) & ice Marie
    watermelon Denise
    ice w/coolers Denise

we still need:

hamburgers
    hotdog buns
    hamburger buns
    condiments
    chips
    sodas, ice
    coolers
    anyone want to try corn on the cob done in foil???

Please be careful with anything that might turn in hot weather as it must be kept very cold to prevent bacteria.

Also, too messy side dishes can be a problem so lets keep it simple. If you need refrigeration for your item please provide that yourself.

I also assume that alcohol and glass containers are NOT allowed.

Please post what you are bringing and how many you are planning on coming in your party, so we know how many to plan for.

Let's get this planned and confirmed now so we are not still in the planning stage on the 25th.!!

Yeah!! Ross is hopeing to bring his waverunner and there is even a ramp for launching...!!
    This promises to be a lot of fun guys...so let's get things confirmed.

Thanks,
    Marie
    -----

12. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
  13. codemaker

codemaker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2003
    I'll bring the burgers and chicken and the sausages plus extra dogs. I'm pretty sure I can bring the buns, too.

14. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Okay I will bring some hot dog buns and some condiments.

15. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    BUMP

We still need some more food folks...and lets get a head count so we have enough food and drinks.

Yes, you can bring your family to this one.

16. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Okay folks,
    Have not had much response to this since the meeting. We really need to decide wether this is a go or not event!!! We had several vote to have this at the meeting in May, so please let us know so we can decide and have enough room for all that do plan to go.
    So, please lets here from folks at wether you are coming or not and how many in your party.

Thanks,
    Marie

17. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Curious: everyone made such a big deal about this being on a Saturday, and now that it is, nobody seems interested. Too bad.

18. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    I believe we still have plenty of people attending. If you are attending add your name to the list.

Denise
    Marie
    Ross
    Chris
    Eric...

19. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
  20. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Okay folks, Surfs Up!!!

Beach party at Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs on Sat. June 26th starting at 8 AM!!!!!

So let's
    get out there and have some fun. I will be holding a table as close to the beach causeway as possible. Bring family, friends and food!!!

Info. and directions on on this thread and also under Pinellas parks dept. website.

See ya there!!!!

21. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Bringing friends Dawn & Reagan
    Watermelon, ice

22. Sereana_Nightstar

Apr 20, 2002
    Great! this will be fun guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.