main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Beam me up, Scotty! Star Trek: The Original Series.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Feb 3, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    The Original Series, TOS, Classic Trek or simply Star Trek. All of these names describe the series, but it is the one series that started it all and fired generations of imaginations. now Eight movies (Six featuring Original Series characters), three sequels and a prequel later, we are all still talking this series that in many ways was ahead of it's time.

[image=http://homepage.mac.com/m5comp/trekbits/trekpics/Star%20Trek%20Enterprise%202.jpg]

It seemed a bit unfair that TNG and DS9 had their own threads and yet the series that started it all did not have anything in it's honor, so I took the time to create one.

How do you feel about the Classic Trek? What is your favorite episode? Least favorite?

How do you think the Trek legacy is diminished and/or enhanced by the spinoffs?

Do you think the legacy is starting to diminish now that many of the prinicples are starting to die off?

Sarge likes this.
  2. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    TOS is a great series. No way could I name my favorite one. Too many...ok..I'll try. They are going to be the same as a lot of others..

1)The City on the Edge of Forever: "let's get the hell out of here"
    2)Mirror Mirror: "in every revolution...there's one man with a vision"
    3)A Taste of Armageddon: "Aye..the haggis is in the fire for sure"
    4)Balance of Terror: "just one more duty...to perform"
    5)Patterns of Force: "I don't care if you hit the broad side of a barn...just hurry please"

I have more..but that's later.
    I don't think Enterprise was given a fair chance. although the opening theme was awful. I liked it better than Voyager.

Sarge likes this.
  3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Man, this series was beyond awesome. Almost impossible to put into words. They did so much and tackled so many issues that wouldn't be touched by anyone back then.

And say what you will, I believe William Shatner was a damned fine actor and does not bet the props he deserves.

Sarge likes this.
  4. DeathStarZero

DeathStarZero Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    TOS is still my favourite Trek series, I don't care what anybody says.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    It's my favorite Trek series by far. It's too hard to pick a favorite episode.

6. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I was watching Star Trek before Star Wars existed. It was a truly revolutionary series that opened so many doors.

My favorite episodes, off the top of my head -

Mirror, Mirror. Bearded Spock rules.

The City On The Edge Of Forever. "He knows, Doctor, he knows."

The Doomsday Machine. Classic SFX with the USS Constellation. :p

The Enterprise Incident. "Aren't you dead?"

A Piece Of The Action. Concrete galoshes.

Arena. Gorn = Sleestak on steroids.

Balance Of Terror. See above.

Sarge and Yodahasgreenfeet like this.
  7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    The Original Series is definitely my favorite of Trek, with only Next Generation coming remotely close. I'm not sure which is my favorite episode however as I really haven't seen it all that much.

8. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Actually, nowhere in any of the 79 episodes did Kirk actually say the words "Beam me up, Scotty." :-B

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

9. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    quite true...but everyone say's it anyway.

10. AmberSolo

AmberSolo Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2006
    Star Trek The Original Series is my favorite series. This because I love the interactions and conversations of Dr. McCoy , Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock. My favorite character is definitly Mr. Spock!

11. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Actually, nowhere in any of the 79 episodes did Kirk actually say the words "Beam me up, Scotty."

It's kind of "Luke, I am your father" which really should be "No, I am your father."

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    True, but it's become so tied with the Original Trek, that I figured the phrase would catch the eye better than simply "The Offical Star Trek: TOS" would have. :p

13. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    I have to say that Im ashamed to admit that I can actually do every line of dialog form the original series. Now how sad is this? Being born in 1961 I grew up with this show. Its by far my favorite of all things Trek. My favorite epis are:

"The Enemy Within" A transporter mishap creates Captain Kirk's evil twin.

"The City on the Edge of Forever" The crew of the Enterprise discover a portal through space and time, which leads to McCoy accidentally altering history.

"Amok Time" Mr. Spock returns to his homeworld for a brutal Vulcan marriage ritual.

"Mirror, Mirror" A transporter mishap slips Captain Kirk and his companions into a parallel universe.

"The Enterprise Incident"
    The crew of the Enterprise attempts to steal a Romulan cloaking device.

"Space Seed" The crew of the Enterprise awakens a powerful dictator named Kahn from Earth's dreadful past.

14. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I love the original Star Trek series, and I own them all on DVD. I have two questions:

1. In what order do the episodes take place? I know when each was originally aired, but does that correspond with the order in which the episodes take place?

2. Is there a Star Trek message board as comprehensive for Star Trek as TF.N forums are for Star Wars?

15. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Binary_Sunset:

1. I believe the airdate's pretty much the order. TOS was pretty episodic.

2. The closest I can find would be http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ located here

16. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Thanks for your answers! :)

17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm a huge fan of all the movies (save Final Frontier), but the TOS TV series never really hooked me in.

18. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    TOS is still fun to watch on Sci-Fi sometimes. And to my knowledge this is only series when the Hippies come into the scene "The Way to Eden" Season 3 was bad. :p

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Season 3 was bad, but it had gems. Although yeah, 'Way to Eden' was horrific.

And no problem, Binary_Sunset. i lurk there but haven't posted there. The main site and www.ditl.org are my two main ST technical info sites.

20. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    From Season 3, I'd have to say I liked The Enterprise Incident, The Tholian Web and The Paradise Syndrome. I AM KIROK!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p A couple of the end episodes like The Cloud Minders, Whom Gods Destroy and All Our Yesterdays weren't bad either.

Sarge likes this.
  21. LadyBria

LadyBria Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2006
    I remember watching Arena with Gorn when I was a little kid. It was so cool!! Its amazing how they did such a good job with so little material and money.

22. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Arena was my favorite episode when I was 5. I loved the Gorn. And the Metrons. I got to watch this one agains. That and Squire of the Gothos and Shore Leave back to back to back good times. :)

23. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    How can you all call yourselves TOS fans and not mention The Trouble with Tribbles :p I have way too many favorites to list and even the bad ones are worth the laugh.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Finak Frontier isn't that bad, highly underrated I would say.

Anyway I use to enjoy TOS. I think I've seen most, if not, all episodes. But when I use to rewatch them recent I just couldn't get into it.

25. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Oh yes...the tribbles. We'll I was just about to get to that. :p Great seeing Trelane back as Captain Koloth and poor Cyrano Jones having to pick up every tribble on the station [face_laugh]