main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Beam me up, Scotty! Star Trek: The Original Series.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Feb 3, 2006.

1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    The Trouble With Tribbles was a great episode, but not my favorite. 'Balance of Terror' is mine. Also the very first piece of ST I'd ever seen, back on Saturday after Thanksgiving in 1986, 8 PM on channel 50.

2. TroublesomeTribble

TroublesomeTribble Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2005
    I've never seen that episode.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While I do enjoy the movies and all the TNG+ series, I just can't stand watching TOS, for the most part. It has it;s moemnts, but I just hate the look of it- the softfocus female closeups, the suddenly dark-but-with-light-across-their-eyes male closeups, it just really, really bugs me.

That said, some episodes are watachable despite that, but only a few fom the handful of eps I've seen.

Anyways, I am however embarking on watching the whole series, attempting to determine what episodes are essential to the ST shows in general (mainly what episodes are relevant to the plots of the movies and other series, ie: Space Seed for Wrath of Kahn, Tholian Web for that one Enterprise episode, Mirror Mirror for the various mirror Universe eps, Trouble with tribbles for that DS9 ep, etc) and perhaps what couple of episodes are actually worth watching even if they aren't connected to the more improtant shows.

That in mind- any other particular episodes spring to mind (besides the above mentioned) that people would suggest I keep my eye open for?

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    TOS IMO is still watchable. Sure you can have the best special effects now with Enterprise, but storywise you can't compare with the original. TNG is exempt from this.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not so much the special effects- I can handle bad effects taken into historical context (though I'm amazed someone hasn't done either an official or even fanmade revision of the FX shots from TOS, given that even off-the-shelf software could produce sequences that mesh well the rest of the franchise), it's just the general look of the show itself, and a little bit of the acting (not always so much the main characters, usually the supporting ones though)- but that's mainly a product of the time it was produced (but, unfortunately, unlike special effects, older acting styles is not something I can generally adjust to easily).

6. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    You know I mostly agree with 2ndQuest, before I watched The Doomsday Machine episode. Still a classic :cool: I think the classic episodes are rewatchable. I really suggest you watch those episode 2ndQuest.

I kind of wished the other Trek shows would at least continue some materials used in the TOS episodes (Enterprise season 4 is an exception to this). I would pay good money to see a Doomsday machine vs Borg type episode. Another example would of course be the Gorn and Tholians only after 10 movies and a grand total of 26 seasons (!) did they appear again. Although the Tholians have been mentioned before in DS9 IIRC.

Ah well, watching The Doom Machine episode made me realise that the Trek franchise can still survive. It needs to be handled properly.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    The2ndQuest, Amok Time and Journey to Babel are absolutely essential for understanding the character of Spock. Other eps include The Immunity Syndrome, the Menagerie 1 &2 (which features clips of the original pilot), and City on the Edge of Forever. There are more but I'm pressed for time right now to think.

And I'll make a confession: I like Spock's Brain.[face_blush]

8. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Brain? What is brain? Okay we need an explanation why you like what is considered to be one of the worst episodes ever. :p

9. DarthSolo3

DarthSolo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    1. There is a lot of debate as to whether or not the STAR WARS novels and comics are canon, however, I have read quite a few of the STAR TREK novels and comics, and find them to be rather entertaining, so I am wondering are the STAR TREK novels and comics canon?

2. WARNING: Contains SPOILER for the novel "CAPTAIN'S BLOOD" by William Shatner:

Does Spock really die in this novel? I thought that one of the guidelines to writing a STAR TREK novel was that the author could not kill off any major established character?

10. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Offhand, my understanding is that the Trek novels are definitely not canon- Paramount ignores them when producing the shows and films.

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Quick note: ST novels are not canon.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well Shatner's writing this novel so anything is possible.

And George Lucas owns the licesning to SW, so anything with his offical seal on it is canon in his mind.

And I like Spock's Brain because....... Well I find it hilarious beyond belief. Sometimes things are so terrible their funny. And the lines in the end are truly comedic.

And I'll link to the ST Books thread in Sci - Fi Books and Comics later today or Saturday.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Today is the birthday of Grace Lee Whitney, who played Yeoman Janice Rand on the original series.

Happy Birthday!

15. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Ah, this reminds me of when I first got into Star Trek back in 2000. I used to watch TOS on Sci-Fi every afternoon and it would be followed by "In Search Of" (narrated by Leonard Nimoy). Then I would watch TNG and DS9 reruns at night. Good times...

Anyways, my favorite episode is probably "The City on the Edge of Forever", followed by "Mirror, Mirror". I really want to get the DVD box sets, but they're so expensive.

16. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I've just started to watch the Original Series again I haven't watched a TOS episode in like 3 or 4 years but I've watched Where No Man Has Gone Before, The Man Trap, Charlie X, The Naked Time and The Enemy Within so far out of these there are things that stand out as bad but then there's other things that are still quality Star Trek and Sci-Fi entertainment like in The Naked Time Kirk's obsessive love for the Enterprise is revealed that's very important for the character of Kirk in the future and Spock in the same episode trying to control his emotions very good and then funny things like The Enemy Within evil Kirk is just funny I'M CAPTAIN KIRK

17. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    playing catch-up:

I would have mentioned "the trouble with tribbles" on my list on the first page but it is generally considered a favorite of many (as well as the funniest) so I didn't bother. Scotty's love and defending of his "Enterprise" is priceless.

next level of favorites:

Arena
    Spectre of the gun
    The Enterprise Incident
    The Tholian Web
    Where no man has gone before
    The Menagerie

Now as someone on the last page mentioned. The worst episoe??? well..it does have it stinkers (as does every series) mine?? ...

5)A piece of the Action
    4)A private little war
    3)Plato's stepchildren
    2)and the children shall lead

and

1)The way of eden: just awful

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    My personal favorites:

Amok Time. Best pickup line eva: "If I don't have sex, I'll DIE!" Plus, the classic "Spock music" and "combat music."

Mudd's Women and I, Mudd. Star Trek comedy at it's finest. Speaking of, what episode was it where Scotty and that alien got completely hammered?

Alien: *points at bottle of liquor* What is it?
    Scotty: Its...its...its green!
    [face_laugh]

Balance of Terror. Star Trek as U-boat battle!

Mirror, Mirror. Uhura = teh hawtness =P~

Space Seed. Khaaaaaaaan!!!!!

BTW, what novel was it that postulated that Trelayne was a youngster from the Q continuum?

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think that Scotty episode was By Any Other Name, but I don't have the ep on tape or on DVD (mutters about extortionist Paraborg), so I can't say for certain.

Although the novel question really should be answered here in the Star Trek book thread, I'll answer it here.

It's Q - Squared that it's postulated that Trelane is from the Q Continuium.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Upcoming TOS birthday for the month of May:

MAY 23 - Joan Collins (Edith Keeler, TOS)

21. DarthSolo3

DarthSolo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    Why, when Spock "dies" @ the end of "The Wrath of Khan" does Kirk send his body to Genesis instead of Vulcan?

Was the alien that McCoy was dealing with in "The Search For Spock" who spoke backwards supposed to be ST's answer to Yoda?

What happens to Lt. Saavik and Dr. Chapel after "The Voyage Home?"

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The answer to your first question lies with Kirk's eulogy at the end of Wrath of Khan.

They had no intent of putting Spock's body on Genesis. Spock's wishes were apparently to be cosigned to the realm of space, presumably cremated in a star or the like. If you take the Wrath of Khan novel as canon, Saavik changes the plotted course of the tube before its launched so that it burns up upon reentry before hitting the surface. In The Search for Spock, it's clear that Saavik and David are surprised to scan Spock's intact torpedo tube on the planet's surface.

Spock's death was supposed to be permanent. When Lenoard Nimoy expressed interest in returning for another Trek movie, I believe that the shot of Spock's casket on the surface of the planet was added at the last minute to give them an out for The Search for Spock.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, I'm starting to rev up into my TOS viewing after watching two episodes stop and go over the past few months, so i figured I'd share my thoughts on them, and how I'm classifying them.

Again, I'm mainly trying to find the episodes that are, first and foremost, relevant to the other shows, secondly, episodes that are still actually watchable and hold up today without having to force yourself to accept the "that was the style at the time" junk polluting it, and, lastly, any episodes relevant to other TOS episodes.

I didn't have access to The Cage pilot yet, so that will come later.

101- The Man Trap: Honestly, I couldn't finish this one, and don't remember much at all about it at this point. Definitely not a good introductory episode, and thankfully not related to any other episodes, so we'll let this one be the first clunker in the waste basket.

102- Charlie X: Plagued by "60's syndrome" acting and touches, pretty painful to watch. Into the waste basket!

103- Where No Man Has Gone Before: An improvement over the first 2 episodes, there's some interesting things here with the crew member becoming more and more powerful. It is however hampered by it's attempted romance subplot, which has that "guy glances suggestively while girl looks back in a pout-gaze to look screwable" element that is encountered far too often in the series and just makes things laughable.
    Overall, it's not terrible, but it's not good either. Generally forgettable.

104- The Naked Time: Another step up in quality, but still not "actually good". Now, granted, this may have come first, but we've seen the "crew is infected by something that spreads by touch" angle in many other shows since and have acomplished it more effectively. The one guy is a pretty annoying actor, but I think his character was meant to be annoying (and a lovely Irish stereotype at that ;) ). Still, a "nice try". Plus, "Sulu...with a sword?!" ;)
    However, since this apparently is loosely tied, either directly or thematicly, with a TNG episode, as well as the crew discovering a forumla for time travel (which will apparently come into play in a few episodes as it was originally intended to be a setup for a second part that was turned into a stand alone), this episode gets upgraded to "Potentially Essential".

105- The Enemy Within: Still rising, this episode was actually somewhat interesting overall- it's only flaws being some of the acting and dialogue ("I'M CAPTAIN KIRK! I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!" is about as funny to quote as "TRASH BAGS!" from the A-Team, only, unlike the A-Team, it was never intended to actually be funny).
    This one goes into the "Ok Episodes, But Not Necessarily Essential" category. You feel bad for Sulu- they could have just sent him a damn shuttle, afterall ;).Also worth noting that this was meant to be the 4th episode, so that may give me some leeway in adjusting the episode order down the road, especially considering the content of 107...

106- Mudd's Women: Aggghhh! Whether it's these three chicks, Posion Ivy or Hathor, the stupid "woman turns guys around her into mindless zombies" plot element never works and is just painful to watch, let alone a 60's production of it. Couldn't make it halfway through this one. The fact that this Mudd guy comes back for another episode fills me with dread. To the trash bin with this garbage.

107- What Are Little Girls Made Of?: Ah, finally, an actual good episode! What a relief. That robot dude was pretty huge (well, or Shatner is just tiny). Barely any "60's syndrome" touches present, if at all. If I'm remembering correctly, also our first away team Red Shirt kills (though it's possible I may have missed some from the episodes i didn't finish). Funny that they went to a duplicate Kirk story element so soon after Enemy Within (though I gues sthe original airing order may have switched things up a bit); and considering there's the potential for TEW and WALGMO to be back to back in my eventual "final list", I might have to excercise the freedom t

24. Darthhelmut

Darthhelmut Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2004
    I was never a fan of the OS....just couldnt take them seriously (although I loved the movies)

I always wished they did something more with after the DS9 war....thought that was the best plot in years...better than the whole I borg thing TSG followed for a while....

I dont even count Voyager because that show just sucked....I hated the Cpt....I still dont even know how they got home...

Its funny that you guys posted this thread though and nobody has mentioned this

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23666

Yeah, its a rumor about a possible new movie....with Matt Damon playing KIRK...

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I still dont even know how they got home...<<

A future Janeway, who made it to Earth after much loss, travels back in time to prevent said loss, providing anti-Borg weaponry and armor (that slinks into place much like the Batmobile's) so that they can assault a junction in the Borg's network of transit corridors and use it to get home sooner, collapsing the route to the Federation behind them. However, after their arrival, we actually don't get to even see their actual return.

Whenever they decide to continue into Trek's future, if they don't incoporate that new armor into their ships, I'll be rather dissapointed, as that was probably the coolest thing Voyager ever did. The Titan should be outfitted with that stuff.