main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Bears Thread - Global Meltdown in Financial Markets

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Aug 24, 2015.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    ITT we talk financial markets.

DEFINITION OF 'BEAR'
    An investor who believes that a particular security or market is headed downward. Bears attempt to profit from a decline in prices. Bears are generally pessimistic about the state of a given market.

Today we are seeing one of the biggest one day price drops in stock market history. Is this just a short term correction, or the start of something serious?

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm hoping things turn around fairly quickly. I'm exposed both to the US and UK markets via unit trusts and mutual funds. However, as long as China is 'iffy' and the Fed is sending mixed signals about interest rates I have a feeling things will be shaky.

4. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    We wait for word from the Fed, but it's highly unlikely they hike any time soon. If this is the next big one, it's going to be a lot scarier than 2008, as central banks have very little left in their toolboxes.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The corrections should mostly be over, with fluctuation the next few days but nothing as obscenely bad as the Chinese market this morning again (one hopes).

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    At least Greece is out of the mix for now. There have also been rumors of rate hikes here in the UK but nothing so far. I wouldn't mind that as I paid off my mortgage earlier this year. If rates went up my savings might do better return-wise.

7. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    There is an outside chance these moves are exaggerated by a lack of liquidity, as a lot of traders take time off in August. IMO, this is not the case, this has been a long time coming.

They'll all be running at full strength tomorrow though - margin calls.

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    August is usually quiet here in the UK as a lot of people go on holiday but that hasn't been the case this year. Next week might be quieter as Monday is a bank holiday here and the UK market will be closed.

9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    The FTSE being closed next Monday won't stem this

10. Bob Crow

Bob Crow Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 7, 2015
  11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Yes Bob, Grizzly

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Gonna make Stephen Colbert scared.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It bears repeating that the economy is not doing very well right now.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Company stock went down $15 over the last two market days, so yay. [face_plain]

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Uh... like RIGHT NOW right now, or in general right now? It's been doing pretty well right now...

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    agreed the long predicted fed rate increase may fail to materialize again. Big drops in energy and commodity prices should put a lot of downward pressure on inflation. That's good for U.S. consumers. Energy producers are a bit screwed. The 2015 drop off in rig count is startling - indication that new well development in places like Bakken, Eagle Ford, etc. is no longer economical at current prices. I would have said that oil prices were nearing the bottom of a supply-driven price cycle, but with China in a potential downturn energy prices may take another major demand hit. That will drive more producers out of the market and will eventually bring U.S. supply growth to a standstill. It's been rough watching the North Dakota oil boom disintegrate and the rest of its economy along with it. During the latter part of the great recession ND was an economic sweet spot, now it's in the middle of its own little real estate bubble collapse etc.

Darth Punk likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Today I mean. Really I just wanted to use a horrible pun. I resisted making a Tigger joke in your trigger thread.

dp4m likes this.
  19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Jabbadabbado And in addition, if there's a crap out in the corporate bond market, this will get very ugly, very quickly

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The stock market has been doing better than it should be for years. Most ordinary people won't feel any negative effects from this correction, even if it is rather sharp. For once it's not because it's America making poor decisions or anything wrong with our economy, it's China's house of cards finally being exposed.

21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Ghost the U.S. And China are inextricably linked - who do you think buys your debt?

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I know, that's elementary stuff.

23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    the U.S. is more fuel efficient, has reduced its consumer debt load since the great recession, but Europeans and Asians would likely say our trade deficits and national debt as a % of GDP are still what's wrong with our economy.

24. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    The stock market has been a dead man walking for years now. Look at any economic data, and a chart of the stock market on its time of release. Stocks go up on bad data, down on good. It's not that the stock market is doing better than it should - thanks to centrally planned economies, the markets are completely disfunctional.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Unless the Iran deal blows up in everybody's faces (figuratively and possibly literally), then all bets are off.