main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Bears Thread - Global Meltdown in Financial Markets

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Aug 24, 2015.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    no worries - apologies if I go over stuff you might already know.

technically, a recession is two consecutive quarter years of negative growth. June's GDP came in at -0.2, so in answer to your question, if Sep GDP comes in negative, the US, could officially be in recession as soon as by the end of the month.

I'm pretty worthless at five year predictions, in fairness, i'm not much better at intraday ones, but if any economy is going to weather any headwinds from china, its your one.

to be fair though P, even if Sep GDP did print negative, I doubt you'd even notice the "recession" in your everyday life. It won't be like 2008 - 2009 was

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hardly noticed that one, though I was in high school at the time.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I would not be surprised to see 2 quarters of negative growth and some additional weakness in the job market.

4. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    That story that I said was brewing in the distance is getting some small mainstream media noise, as the Fed prepare to possibly tighten. It's not new news (or even the first time the BIS have voiced this concern), but it's a well written article, that explains the dilemma to those unaware.

BIS fears emerging market maelstrom as Fed tightens
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...merging-market-maelstrom-as-Fed-tightens.html

5. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    An excerpt from the article about the BIS (for those who don't know):

The venerable BIS - the so-called 'bank of central bankers' - was the only global body to warn repeatedly and loudly before the Lehman crisis that the system was becoming dangerously unstable.

It has acquired a magisterial authority, frequently clashing with the International Monetary Fund and the big central banks over the wisdom of super-easy money.

6. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Wait what? Second quarter GDP was strong at +3.7. Where did you get -.2 from?

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Wait, sorry...

You do quarters for the calendar, not financial year?!

June qtr should be Q4...

8. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Actually it would be Q3 for how the US Government runs its fiscal year, but the BEA reports it as Q2, probably since US listed companies overwhelming have fiscal years that match the calendar year.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah ok. Companies do that - many here run Sept-Sept for results. But if you're talking macroeconomic indicators I'm surprised they go by anything but fin year.

10. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    sorry I missed your quote. you might be right, i went off the final gdp released on june 24th, you've linked to aug 27th's number

Ender Sai you know what, i'm not sure. i used to be all over economic data, as it used to be worth my while to know numbers inside out, but trading numbers now (especially economic releases with multiple components to them) is a bit of a crap shoot, so i tend to avoid them and focus more on trading the news. I'm pretty sure that in the US jan, feb, mar are considered Q1, apr, may, jun are Q2 etc.

11. Bob Crow

Bob Crow Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 7, 2015
  12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    yes bob, S&P did cut japan's credit rating one notch to A+. abenomics looks to be running out of steam, doesn't it?

Ender Sai and Bob Crow like this.
  13. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    ...annnnnnd the Fed Funds rate will stay at zero.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Good decision. It would have hurt the economy more than helped.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't know about you, but I'm ready to load up on revolving credit again.

Darth Punk likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2015/09/markets-and-economics

Markets and economics

Global concerns mean the Fed leaves rates unchanged

Sep 17th 2015, 18:24 BY BUTTONWOOD

THE world will have to wait for the first American rate increase of the Twitter and iPhone age. Citing concerns about the global economy, the Fed decided to leave rates unchanged at 0-0.25%. Jeffrey Lacker was the one Fed governor to dissent, arguing for a quarter-point increase.
    In the run-up to the announcement, investors seemed to have anticipated the Fed's inaction but markets were initially concerned by the tone of the statement. The Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500 bounced around as investors absorbed the news, before moving higher as Janet Yellen expounded on her views during the press conference. But bond yields fell with the 10-year yield dropping from 2.26% just before the announcement to 2.22%, and the 2-year yield falling from 0.775% to 0.7%.
    [​IMG]
    The medium-term casualty of the announcement will be the dollar. The greenback had been strengthening for much of the year (see chart) on the expectation that higher rates would attract foreign capital. But the dollar dropped against the euro and the yen in the absence of higher rates.
    In a sense, the statement may add to investor uncertainty. Rather than looking simply at the domestic economy, the Fed is now taking notice of global developments. But that makes it harder for investors to assess which data to monitor and when the Fed will consider the global backdrop has improved. Further volatility is probably ahead.

17. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Look to be honest, I just don't know. One of the big criticisms that could rightfully be made of the Fed is that they have been more politicised than a central bank ought be and that as a result, the low cash rate has been more to help the government than to facilitate a good macroeconomic outcome.

It's hard to conceive of an argument in favour of such cheap debt this close to the GFC. Debt is effectively free, and so unless the US has undergone a radical, substantial and systemic overhaul of its risk appetite, risk management frameworks and controls frameworks (not to mention giving the SEC a shot in the arm) then I don't see how you're not just encouraging recklessness.

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't know about recklessness, but I could really have fun this year if I maxed out every single one of my credit cards.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  20. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Roar.

And the bears are back today. Dow down over 300, now below levels last seen in spring of 2014. With more shutdown fights and a debt ceiling hike looming, I expect to be below 15,000 on the Dow by the end of the year.

Peace,

V-03

Darth Punk likes this.
  21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Boehner bears

Vaderize03 likes this.
  22. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    By the end of the week

23. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
  24. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Correct Slig, liquidity issues ahead

Ender Sai and slightly_unhinged like this.
  25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I agree with you and punk about liquidity issues. However, I think in some cases, markets with proactive and strong prudential regulation will be better placed to ride out liquidity constraints than places who've taken reform less seriously.